Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What level of racism is tolerated on Boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Boston wrote: »
    Expressing a racist viewpoint is not illegal. Downloading copyrighted material is, as is marking up concert tickets. If you can't see the distinction between illegal behavior and unpleasant behavior then you are not only oversensitive but also deluded.

We both know that people have been banned for things other than the examples I've given. And "discussing" downloading torrents is not illegal ... but I'd still be banned for it.

Racism and expressing a racist viewpoint is illegal in many countries. Have you heard of the Equality Commission of Northern Ireland for example? Do you know anything of their work or laws applying in the North? Have you heard of the laws we have in place in this country to protect Traveller rights? Have you any knowledge of leglislation applying to racism in this or any other country?

I would suggest you be better informed and have your facts straight before attempting to contribute to any discussion in future. Dont take it personally, just a suggestion ;)

... why single out racism and not homophobia

If you read the title of this thread you'll see its about racism ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    We both know that people have been banned for things other than the examples I've given. And "discussing" downloading torrents is not illegal ... but I'd still be banned for it.

Racism and expressing a racist viewpoint is illegal in many countries. Have you heard of the Equality Commission of Northern Ireland for example? Do you know anything of their work or laws applying in the North? Have you heard of the laws we have in place in this country to protect Traveller rights? Have you any knowledge of leglislation applying to racism in this or any other country?

I would suggest you be better informed and have your facts straight before attempting to contribute to any discussion in future. Dont take it personally, just a suggestion ;)

Do you know we're not in northern Ireland? I suggest you look up an atlas before arguing that we should obey the Queens Laws.

As for our laws, blasphemy is technically illegal, the atheist forum is pretty ****ed I take it? Last time I looked we had some of the strongest anti-hate laws in the world, however the act of expressing a racist view point is not against the law, incitement to hatred is and it is also a banable offense on boards. You starting to put 2 and 2 together yet?

Also love your response to "what about homophobia" with "Thats no what the thread is about". You started the thread, so why single out racism?

Hobbes wrote: »
    It does? Can you back that up with proof? The reason I ask is that certain other sites claim the complete reverse of boards.ie. I am sure they would love to know this.

Yes. See below ...
    Karoma wrote: »
    People are allowed have differing opinions and views, even racist views ...
    DeVore wrote: »
    The posts that are tolerated in AH wouldnt be tolerated in Politics or Humanities. I agree with that. I think people who complain to us about "allowing rascism" really should understand that we are a platform on which the public say things. As much as I dont want to host a platform for racists to spew, I agree with karoma that we should be wary when we start to curb publically held opinions and the debate around them. People would be better off complaining about why the public holds those opinions and what can be done about it.
    Terry wrote: »
    A certain amount of bigotry is tolerated ...
    psi wrote: »
    I'm about as anti-prejudice as they come, but I'd encourage the biggoted and even racist points of view on boards, so long as they are presented in an acceptable way.
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    i would rather see them being allowed to voice their opinion in full in the relevant forum and then have one of the numerous intelligent people who use boards daily pick their arguments apart with practiced ease tbh. this way its not pure censorship and people can see the genuine falsehoods in whatever argument it happens to be.

now i understand this may not mould well with boards's view on freedom of speech and i accept that while disagreeing with it at the same time
    I see an awful lot of nation bashing, just because thats what people do. Check out AH any time you want to read some diatribe on how the English are awful, how the Americans are stupid, how the French are smelly, how Ireland sucks, how Limerick people suck, how Culchies suck, how Jackeens suck.

Take your pick. Technically, these all constitute racism.

Do you know we're not in northern Ireland? I suggest you look up an atlas before arguing that we should obey the Queens Laws.

As for our laws, blasphemy is technically illegal, the atheist forum is pretty ****ed I take it? Last time I looked we had some of the strongest anti-hate laws in the world, however the act of expressing a racist view point is not against the law, incitement to hatred is and it is also a banable offense on boards. You starting to put 2 and 2 together yet?

Also love your response to "what about homophobia" with "Thats no what the thread is about". You started the thread, so why single out racism?

Yes, I had a notion we're not in Northern Ireland. Nowhere did I suggest we were or that we obey the "Queens laws" ... the problem here may be that your not reading my posts carefully enough and thus not grasping them fully. And btw, the Irish Govt had huge input to the leglislation on this in the North.

The thread was specifically about a racist post concerning the French in the "Motoring" forum and in no way expresses my views on homaphobia, anti semitism, cooking, or even beastiality. Again, I feel the problem may be that you are not reading this thread properly, in full, or carefully enough.

• Advertisement

Yes, I had a notion we're not in Northern Ireland. Nowhere did I suggest we were or that we obey the "Queens laws" ... the problem here may be that your not reading my posts carefully enough and thus not grasping them fully. And btw, the Irish Govt had huge input to the leglislation on this in the North.

The thread was specifically about a racist post concerning the French in the "Motoring" forum. Again, I feel the problem may be that you are not reading this thread properly, in full, or carefully enough.

Or maybe, just maybe, you're talking a load of irrelevant ****e about laws in other countries.

What anti-hate laws are you referring to specifically? Do you have any clue as to what they say about racism?

Discussing how to download a torrent is not illegal but I would be banned if I discussed it. How does this fit with your argument?

Or maybe, just maybe, you're talking a load of irrelevant ****e about laws in other countries.

This reinforces the point I was making in an earlier post about the ability of some of the mods here. Hands up all those who think Boston has actually read and understood all this thread fully! Again, people can make up their own minds ...

Thank you Boston for a knowledgeable, informed, and useful contribution to this overall debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, the man has a point.

Black and white (if you pardon the pun..oh noes, is that racist?) rulings simply do not work . I'd love for you to show us another online community that has sucessfully implemented a context free system of banning "racist" comments.

This reinforces the point I was making in an earlier post about the ability of some of the mods here. Hands up all those who think Boston has actually read and understood all this thread fully! Again, people can make up their own minds ...

Thank you Boston for a knowledgeable, informed, and useful contribution to this overall debate.

I'm not a moderator. I thought that was obvious, but then again I thought a few other things where obvious, but they're clearly not to you.

Now I'm not a legal professional, but I know all about the Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act of 1989, and I know of the groups under which it applies. Whatever you're trying to imply about me is just making your arguments appear weak to those that know me. Some of whom, you're trying to change the opinion of.

• Advertisement

I'm not a moderator. I thought that was obvious, but then again I thought a few other things where obvious, but they're clearly not to you.

But I thought only mods lived in "moderator land" ;) Maybe your the one who needs the atlas ...

Perhaps you would like to tell me what "other things" are obvious to others but not me?
    Now I'm not a legal professional, but I know all about the Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act of 1989, and I know of the groups under which it applies. Whatever you're trying to imply about me is just making your arguments appear weak to those that know me. Some of whom, you're trying to change the opinion of.

I actually asked you what you knew about leglislation applying to racism in this or any other country. You quote me the "Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act of 1989" ... do you know what this says about racism and racially motivated acts (if anything)? Is there any other racism leglislation you know of or are you talking about things you know nothing about? Do you understand what I'm asking you? Do you even understand this thread fully? I think its that whole "reading the previous posts carefully" thing thats letting you down again.

I'm totally happy to let the good readers of this thread make up their own minds about the strength or weakness of my argument and also about your contribution to this thread :D

p.s. I hope Terry is not still following this ... he seems to have a thing for spelling and grammar ... you might be in trouble with him ;)

No, you asked what laws I was referring to when I made reference to incitement to hatred being illegal. I provided you with the act I was re-referring to. You did not ask for an opinion piece on my views towards racism, nor will you get one.

Provide links what you're referring to now. Also stop trying to make up for the failures in your argument by implying the reader is not capable of following your line of thought.

As to my grammar and spelling, keep up the good work.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Black and white (if you pardon the pun..oh noes, is that racist?) rulings simply do not work . I'd love for you to show us another online community that has sucessfully implemented a context free system of banning "racist" comments.

Well, Boards.ie seems to have fairly "black and white" rules on MCD and BitTorrent to give just two examples. Are you saying this is simply not working?

I dont see the problem with taking an agreed definition of "racism" (from any of the many sources referenced above) and stating in the forum rules that racism will not be tolerated. Boards.ie is heavily moderated so anything breaching this rule will be spotted fairly quickly and easily.

Most discussion boards that I've been looking at over the last few days forbid and heavily restrict racist content. TBH, I'm not a member or poster on any of these boards but examples of just a few here, here, here, and http://www.proboards.com/tos.html. These sites seem to have no problem stating explicitly that racism and other abusive, or ethnically defamatory comment is not allowed.

Would this be such a bad thing to introduce on Boards.ie? Would it be impossible to implement and administer? I dont think so ... if the will were there. But to be honest the words "wind", "pissing" and "against" keep popping into my head ...

Why racism and not sexism, homophobia and general bigotry? Thats a question thats going to have to be answered. Both examples you provided are banned based on legal advice.

No, you asked what laws I was referring to when I made reference to incitement to hatred being illegal. I provided you with the act I was re-referring to.

Yes. post #89. But you didnt answer what this leglislation specifically says about "racism". Do you even know? :D Would you care to enlighten us now please?

You did not ask for an opinion piece on my views towards racism, nor will you get one.

I dont really want your opinion piece if your comment is of the same standard as the rest of your contribution to this thread :D

Provide links what you're referring to now. Also stop trying to make up for the failures in your argument by implying the reader is not capable of following your line of thought.

I believe that most readers of this thread are able to follow my argument (whether they agree or not). I'm saying that you are the one having problems following and understanding what I'm saying :D

As to my grammar and spelling, keep up the good work.

I have no problem with your spelling and grammar. Its just that I was warning you about Terry ... he commented on my poor spelling earlier ... see posts #71 and #74 ... its him you'd want to watch out for ... he seems to have a thing against us :D

I presume your attempted put down of me refers to him also?

Why racism and not sexism, homophobia and general bigotry? Thats a question thats going to have to be answered. Both examples you provided are banned based on legal advice.

One of the examples I provided was discussion of BitTorrent. Are you saying that Boards.ie have legal advice that "discussion" of BitTorrent is specifically banned?

One of the examples I provided was discussion of BitTorrent. Are you saying that Boards.ie have legal advice that "discussion" of BitTorrent is specifically banned?

You think thats what I'm saying? Also glad you understand that the MCD thing is based on legal advice, you seemed to be missing that point alot.

You think thats what I'm saying? Also glad you understand that the MCD thing is based on legal advice, you seemed to be missing that point alot.

You said "both examples" I provided are banned based on legal advice. So can you confirm that discussion of BitTorrent is banned on boards.ie based on legal advice? Its a very simple question ... requires a simple "yes" or "no" answer ...

Discussion of Bittorrent is not banned on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I am still following this thread, and I would prefer you did not quote me out of context (post #95).

You really do seem to have a hard time differentiating between sarcasm, context, satire and what is meant as truth.

I suggest you re-read this thread and look at the answers already given.
    You are not going to get any new ones, and I believe that you are now just trolling because you didn't get the answer you wanted.

• Advertisement

Both examples you provided are banned based on legal advice
    Discussion of Bittorrent is not banned on boards.ie

Are you sure your location is "Moderator Land"? Would "Confused Land" or "Self-contradictory Land" not be more appropriate? Maybe even "Dream Land" ...

I'm not going to spell out the distinction to you.

I am still following this thread, and I would prefer you did not quote me out of context (post #95).

You really do seem to have a hard time differentiating between sarcasm, context, satire and what is meant as truth.

I suggest you re-read this thread and look at the answers already given.
    You are not going to get any new ones, and I believe that you are now just trolling because you didn't get the answer you wanted.

I quoted you directly. You did say "a certain amount of bigotry is tolerated" here on Boards.ie. That is a very unambigious statement. Says it all (combined with your other posts) about your attitude to this.

I knew i was "pissing against the wind" with this one ... sort of a waste of time. On the one hand mods are asking for suggestions (WhiteWashMan and BuffyBot), and on the other hand other mods are saying the answers have already been given. Then I'm accused of trolling when you dont like what I'm saying!!!

You sir should re-read this entire thread and ask yourself if you are happy with the level of racism tolerated here. Especially so in light of the examples of moderated boards and how they deal with racism (post #104). Is Boards willing to change or not? And if not, why not? Is this not the purpose of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I quoted you directly. You did say "a certain amount of bigotry is tolerated" here on Boards.ie. That is a very unambigious statement. Says it all (combined with your other posts) about your attitude to this.

I knew i was "pissing against the wind" with this one ... sort of a waste of time. On the one hand mods are asking for suggestions (WhiteWashMan and BuffyBot), and on the other hand other mods are saying the answers have already been given. Then I'm accused of trolling when you dont like what I'm saying!!!

You sir should re-read this entire thread and ask yourself if you are happy with the level of racism tolerated here. Especially so in light of the examples of moderated boards and how they deal with racism (post #104). Is Boards willing to change or not? And if not, why not? Is this not the purpose of this forum.
    You picked one line out of many and didn't even quote the whole sentence.

The comment was in regards to AH, not boards.ie as a whole.
    Me wrote:
    While AH may be more liberal than other forums, it is not a playground for racist people.
    A certain amount of bigotry is tolerated, but most of it is in jest.
    Certain people take a dig at the English, but English members here are given the opportunity to respond and throw a few digs back.

See, it looks a lot different when you read the whole paragraph, doesn't it?

As for other moderated boards, this is not those boards.
    If they suit you better, and you don't like how boards.ie is run, then why are you still here?

Are you on a moral crusade to clean up internet forums one at a time?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are you sure your location is "Moderator Land"? Would "Confused Land" or "Self-contradictory Land" not be more appropriate? Maybe even "Dream Land" ...

He's right. Discussing things like bittorrent is allowed. I've seen a couple of threads in comp & tech asking which is the best torrent client and they haven't been closed.

See this thread or just do a search for torrent. What is banned is linking to copyrighted material.

The reason for discussion about mcd events being forbidden is because of legal reasons. If someone had issued legal proceedings against you would you want people talking about them on your website?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

It seems to me you pick and quote what you want, and fair play to you. However, you should really learn to read all of a post before you start highlighting those bits you like.

I like the way you start to insinuate that users have nothing worthwhile to say when you dont want to answer them. Good deflective tactic there!

but anyway, lets see what we have here...
    gandalf23 wrote:
    There should be absolutely no debate on where the line is drawn or how this is defined ... it is very clear. Just because you personally have a different definition of "theft" or "speeding" does not make you correct and the law wrong. We cant just make up our own definitions of things ...

But, theres a huge difference between speeding, which is black and white, and the subjective nature of racism. It isnt black and white no matter what you say.

However, lets be fair here. You refuse to answer any questions on the level of sexism here, so i think its only fair that you dont start confusing people with unequal comparisons, right?
    gandalf23 wrote:
    With respect, there seems to be a lot of contradictory comment in your post. Very interesting that you say there are a lot of posts that technically constitute racism, and in the next breath say that you dont tolerate racism!!???!!

"Racism" is very clearly defined, and its crazy that any individual (even an all knowing mod) can just make up their own definition of racism and operate on that basis. Every definition of racism I've given is a well established legal definition. What you call my "percieved" views are not perceived ... they are legal fact. There is no wriggle room here.

Does there? Hmmm, you have told several people that they should go back and read what you wrote. I'd suggest you do the same. This time try and read what I wrote instead of what you think I wrote.

I dont tolerate racism, and yes, technically, according to your definitions, there is a lot of racism. But I, being the sensible person that I am, can see the context that it is in.

You, apparently, only see in black and white, have no reasoning for anything subjective, and refuse to entertain the notion that there are different levels of communication.

As for this wriggle room, Im interested. Are you putting forward a case to the prosecution to have mods that you dont like castrated, or are you trying to show that there is an intolerable level of racism on this site?

You appear to be more interested in tit for tat point scoring than in actually discussing your subject. And legal fact eh? Im also interested in that. The legal fact of a definition. IN that case, it really is up to you to prove that the definition holds true.
    I find it hard to believe there are really many full blown knowing racists on these forums. Only misguided uneducated misopinioned muppets.
    Does your definition really hold true for them? I dont think so.
    gandalf23 wrote:
    Some of the mods do a good job, others do not. But I wont argue this point ... people reading this can make up their own minds on the ability of the mods here.

And yet you seem so reasonable...
    gandalf23 wrote:
    This raises an interesting point ... one that Boards.ie will have to deal with in the context of the changing face of modern Ireland. Should these forums reflect "real life" public opinion, or should a different set of standards apply here? You mods are the people who will have to decide this, and you cant have it both ways. An "a la carte" approach simply wont cut it. Neither will an approach where we are allowed to make up our own definitions of things and work to those rules where legal definitions already exist.

Im of the opinion that these forums do in fact reflect 'real life'. After all, we dont make up the topic, and give the opinions. We are not a moral compass for the people that use this site. We provide a facility, the content comes, well, from the street.

And, actually, I think you will find that I can take an A La Carte view if I feel like it, and that, it does indeed 'cut it', and has been doing so for the last 10 years or so.

Be very careful about what you state as fact, and what you state as opinion. As you said yourself, the users can make up their own minds. Im sure there wondering, as am I about what sort of reaction there would be if I was to continue in my own inimitable style. YOu seem to think something apocolyptic will happen. I hope its exciting!
    gandalf23 wrote:

I find it sorta funny that any talk of where to download the latest episode of "Heroes" or anything about MCD is immediately deleted and the poster probably banned, whereas racist comment is allowed without even a warning to the poster.

IM not sure what your point is here. Should I point out that taking about Atari Jaguars is not a banning offence, or that if I say the word 'turnips' seventeen times in a row, nothing will happen to me?
    gandalf23 wrote:
    I would be happy to do this. If I'm not just wasting my time that is.

Ok, in that case, dont do it. I am not prepared to comb through every post of every forum under me (and thats a lot of forums) and then weight it against your definitions.

Oh, hold on, I already do. The thing that you seem to have a problem with is...

gandalf23 wrote:
    Some form of acceptible definition of "racism" needs to be agreed, and agreement also needs to be reached on how racism is dealt with.

Yeah, it has. And its pretty much the level to which the users are happy with. We do have our own guidelines, and racism is a banning offence.

The real problem you seem to have is that you cant differenciate between racist opinion, and direct racist remarks.
    If you want racist opinions, check out boards.ie. in fact, check out everyone in real life (except yourself of course). Im racist, hes racist, shes racist, we all have some form of racist thought in us, regardless of how pure we feel we are. On the other hand, we dont go around, saying we should kill all the ****.

gandalf23 wrote:
    Also have a look here and here ... essential reading for mods! The best way to combat this is education and information.

Hmmm, youre still assuming we have a problem. Perhaps youc an give a lecture on it. IM sure those who are are interested will turn up.

gandalf23 wrote:

I have a few other ideas on this, but I'm sorta pissing against the wind if people dont agree with my original point.

I dont think they do tbh. I know I dont, but thats becuase you seem unable to grasp the relatively simple concepts of subjectivity and context.

I have to be honest, but i think this
    gandalf23 wrote:
    I dont really want your opinion piece if your comment is of the same standard as the rest of your contribution to this thread
    pretty much sums your entire contribution.

I think too much time lecturing may have left you with the belief that your word is gospel, and that everyone else is either not 'reading what you wrote', or 'just not getting it'.

Your last couple of posts have reported to petty snide personal remarks, you refuse to actually discuss anything asked of you, and you just find different ways to say the same thing over and over again.
    You know, I really did understand what you were saying the first time, and saying it a different way hasnt convinced me to change my way. i think what you are suggesting is not only unimplementable, but ethically and morally wrong.

I also think youre misusing the definition (your own governement provided definition) that you have provided.
    BUt, of course, the joyful thing about me, is that Im not going to ram it down your throat until you choke on it. Having the freedom to put forward your own point of view is a beautiful thing, isnt it. And as you say, Im sure the punters can make up their own minds what they want to believe. You can reply and quote all day, but when popular opinion is not behind you (have you had any support at all?), then it might be time to start reassessing your own stance, and wonder, just wonder, if its not just you who is in the wrong?

BY the way, youre not french are you? As I mentioned before, theres so much racism here, and you pick up something about the french???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, Boards.ie seems to have fairly "black and white" rules on MCD and BitTorrent to give just two examples. Are you saying this is simply not working?

Vastly different and much easier to define.
    I dont see the problem with taking an agreed definition of "racism" (from any of the many sources referenced above) and stating in the forum rules that racism will not be tolerated. Boards.ie is heavily moderated so anything breaching this rule will be spotted fairly quickly and easily.

And therein lies the problem - you don't see the problems in what your proposing. It's not the same as the examples you pulled up above. It's not that what your proposing is wrong as such, but out in the real world, it doesn't work quite like that.
    Most discussion boards that I've been looking at over the last few days forbid and heavily restrict racist content. TBH, I'm not a member or poster on any of these boards but examples of just a few here, here, here, and http://www.proboards.com/tos.html. These sites seem to have no problem stating explicitly that racism and other abusive, or ethnically defamatory comment is not allowed.

Most boards have it in their TOS etc that such content is "forbidden" - that doesn't mean a thing though, really. In practice, you'll find most communities run the same way as boards.ie - context is the deciding factor. They'll clamp down on the really idiotic stuff, but most of the actions taken against users will be education/slap on wrist/temp banning. I don't see that much of a difference in what happens on boards.ie than any other site.
    Would this be such a bad thing to introduce on Boards.ie? Would it be impossible to implement and administer? I dont think so ... if the will were there. But to be honest the words "wind", "pissing" and "against" keep popping into my head ...

I don't see anything on boards.ie that permits it. Implementing the kind of system you appear to be appealing for however is neigh on impossible to implement and administer. Places like boards.ie do not function well without that sort contextual evaluation. You have to look at what's being said, balance it with how it's being said, how it's being received, whether or not it's being challenged etc. There have been quite a few threads on boards.ie that may contain "racist" (I use inverted commas here) content, but still exist because they show the poster up for the idiots they are. Should they all be removed too? You can't draw lines in the sand for this and say "this is it, and beyond this point you can't go". It's fluid and ever evolving - and if you don't see that, then you probably need to get a deeper insight into the world of online communities and how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh dear. This huge feedback thread just because I chose not to ban either culprit. Maybe I should have banned both:

#1 who posted a silly and insulting generalisation about the French. He even claimed he checked with an Smod "who sees no issue with what I said" (Even if true, that's irrelevant to what the forum moderators reckon). And then #1 gets upset for being called a racist. Stop whinging please

#2 who is the OP of this thread. Calls friends of #1 "****" and sends pms to all sorts of mods, directly asking for #1 to be banned. Oh and (indirectly) accusing the mods of the motors section to be racist
    take your debate on what 'racism' actually is over to the humanities forum?

Sounds like a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

For what it's worth, I agree with what you did 100%. Storm in tea cup.

• Advertisement

As for other moderated boards, this is not those boards.
    If they suit you better, and you don't like how boards.ie is run, then why are you still here?

Are you on a moral crusade to clean up internet forums one at a time?

I was asked for examples by BuffyBot ... I provided them.

I've seen this response a few times on feedback at this stage ... "if you dont like how boards is run why are you still here". I'm providing feedback. On the feedback forum. Which is for feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement