Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What level of racism is tolerated on Boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Most boards have it in their TOS etc that such content is "forbidden" - that doesn't mean a thing though, really. In practice, you'll find most communities run the same way as boards.ie - context is the deciding factor. They'll clamp down on the really idiotic stuff, but most of the actions taken against users will be education/slap on wrist/temp banning. I don't see that much of a difference in what happens on boards.ie than any other site.

Thanks BoffyBot ... Can I ask if Boards.ie has anything about racism in its TOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I was asked for examples by BuffyBot ... I provided them.

You gave us links to some TOS agreements, not to actual functioning communities that run along the lines your suggesting. As I said, the TOS isn't worth the virtual paper it's written on unless it's backed up by action.
    Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I'm providing feedback. On the feedback forum. Which is for feedback.

..but you're not listening to the feedback given. It's a two way process.

Thanks BoffyBot ... Can I ask if Boards.ie has anything about racism in its TOS?

Being the helpful sort of person that I am, I went and had a look.
    boards.ie wrote:
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of boards.ie reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Seems fairly comprehensive - even with the spelling mistake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

And sill Gandalf23, you only seem to answer items you feel you have an answer to, and ignore everything else.

Im still not sure what your point or purpose is at this moment in time.

WHat is the purpose of this thread, and the direction you have taken it?

It seems to me you pick and quote what you want, and fair play to you. However, you should really learn to read all of a post before you start highlighting those bits you like.

I like the way you start to insinuate that users have nothing worthwhile to say when you dont want to answer them. Good deflective tactic there!

This is EXACTLY what you have just done to me :D and fair play to you too :D

You appear to be more interested in tit for tat point scoring than in actually discussing your subject. Your last couple of posts have reported to petty snide personal remarks, you refuse to actually discuss anything asked of you, and you just find different ways to say the same thing over and over again.

I admit I have given as good as I've got. I've taken a fair amount of personal critisism in this thread, and I think you'll agree I have had snide personal remarks directed at me ... if your being fair you'll admit that. If you look at my posts I have not attacked anyone first ... but I have responded robustly. Again, if your being fair you'll see that.

I have tried to discuss anything asked of me, but to be honest its difficult when facing this level of critisism and opposition from all angles. Its a bit like that quote from the movie Snatch ... "For every action, there is a reaction. And a Mod reaction... is quite a f***ing thing".

The real problem you seem to have is that you cant differenciate between racist opinion, and direct racist remarks.

You have me there, and to be honest I'm proud to admit that. I'm against racism in all its forms.

BY the way, youre not french are you? As I mentioned before, theres so much racism here, and you pick up something about the french???

I'm Irish. I'm mainly hanging around the motors, computers, Biz, and a few other forums. I was genuinely surprised and offended by the comments about the French in my OP, and that a mod say nothing wrong with them. Thats all I was attempting to say in this thread.

By the way, are you making the assumption I'm a lecturer? If so why?

You gave us links to some TOS agreements, not to actual functioning communities that run along the lines your suggesting. As I said, the TOS isn't worth the virtual paper it's written on unless it's backed up by action.

TBH I dont know enough about other discussion boards to answer this properly. Thats the honest answer. My OP was about what I thought was racist comment and the level of racism allowed on Boards.ie.

..but you're not listening to the feedback given. It's a two way process.

Yes indeed it is! I could say the same thing about how my feedback is being received :D

Originally Posted by boards.ie
    By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of boards.ie reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Thanks for this ... I couldnt find it. I disagree about it being comprehensive tho. Is there not scope to specifically mention racism?

• Advertisement

And sill Gandalf23, you only seem to answer items you feel you have an answer to, and ignore everything else.

Im still not sure what your point or purpose is at this moment in time.

WHat is the purpose of this thread, and the direction you have taken it?

I'm happy to try to answer anything asked of me. I'm also happy to accept the answers already given here, and whatever you say I'm not trying to push any agenda. Its very intimidating tho when I'm taking such levels of critisism and personal abuse from very experienced and able people.

I'm simply asking "what level of racism is tolerated on boards.ie". The OP has been sorta lost at this point tbh. I'm happy that you guys have given answers, and I'm happy to accept those answers. As has been said a few times, people will make up thier own minds on what level of racism is tolerated here.

I would ask tho (as this is the feedback forum) that the word "racism" be specifically included in Boards.ie TOS, and that mods stay vigilant and take reports of racist posts seriously.

If my feedback is not taken on board so be it. If it is, I believe boards.ie will have been improved and this debate will have been worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Why specifically mention racism and not sexist or homophobic comments?

Boston wrote: »
    Why specifically mention racism and not sexist or homophobic comments?

The OP was originally about racism. It was in relation to a specific post in the motors forum which I felt was racist.

Why, with all the sexism and homophobic comments on boards do you specifically target racism for inclusion in the TOS. One would have thought it obvious that the TOS cover all the above?

Btw, you realise you're the op? There's no need to talk about yourself in the third person.

Why, with all the sexism and homophobic comments on boards do you specifically target racism for inclusion in the TOS. One would have thought it obvious that the TOS cover all the above?

Btw, you realise you're the op? There's no need to talk about yourself in the third person.

Just attempting to emulate the great Pigman!!!

Look, I appreciate what you are saying about sexism and homophobia but my original point was about a specific post which I thought was racist.

I read all responses very carefully and I am happy to accept all answers given, and let people decide for themselves about my original question. I have also made some suggestions, and if the powers that be decide my suggestions are not worth implementing I'll just have to find some way to live with that. I'm happy to make other suggestions if asked, but I suppose I wont be.

btw Boston, I realise your heart is in the right place with this and I apologise if anything I said was offensive to you.

• Advertisement

Just attempting to emulate the great Pigman!!!

Its Pighead, not pigman.
    btw Boston, I realise your heart is in the right place with this and I apologise if anything I said was offensive to you.

Thats ok, its not like I'm french.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Very funny ... one of my all time faves :D

Not sure what it has to do with this debate tho ...

Btw, is that movie copyrighted material? Is it ok to actually show copyrighted content on boards but a bannable offence to talk about downloading it? Hmmmm, maybe I'll be banned for watching your clip ...

You realise what youTube is?

You realise what youTube is?

I think so! And I know it contains copyrighted material with lawsuits pending. But enlighten me with your opinion anyway ...

So you both realise that its youTube and that the holders of copyright take action directly against youTube rather then sites that link to youTube, so whats your problem, or are your trolling? Thats the problem with blanket rules, morons can't understand when cop on needs to be applied.

So you both realise that its youTube and that the holders of copyright take action directly against youTube rather then sites that link to youTube, so whats your problem, or are your trolling? Thats the problem with blanket rules, morons can't understand when cop on needs to be applied.

Are you calling me a moron? Are you implying I'm acting like a moron? I apologised to you earlier for anything I said that may have offended you ...

Are you saying its ok to link to copyrighted material?

The TOS of youtube are fairly clear ... looks like Terry might be in danger of a ban ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Christ this is almost as cringy as my feedback threads! Time for cats yet?

And as for trolling ... I said I had stated my problem as clearly as possible and accepted the answers by all contributors above. I also suggested solutions to my problems, and stated I'd be happy to offer other solutions if asked. I even apologised to you personally, and was willing to let things stand at that.

I suggest that its not me thats trolling ... look closer to home. There have been a few irrelivent and insulting posts directly aimed at me since I said I was happy with the outcome of this thread.

The goggles, they do nothing, nothing I say! to stop the blinding stupidity.

• Advertisement

The goggles, they do nothing, nothing I say! to stop the blinding stupidity.

The blinding stupidity is coming from only one direction ...

You have refused to answer most of the questions I have asked about racism (post 92, 98, 102, etc) ... you have no answer. This I assume is because you dont have a clue.

I now ask you again ... and be man enough to answer this time ... are you caling me a moron or are you implying I'm acting like a moron?

Your level of ignorance is both stunning and bewildering! It is most definately illegal to link to sites containing copyrighted material.

If I'm correct in this will you now call for Terry to be banned?

And as for "morons" and "blanket rules" ... do you realise that most of the legislative systems in the developed world are built on blanket rules? I'd also like you to show me where I asked for "blanket rules" to be applied to boards.ie racism policy.

I apologised to you earlier ... your posts since then have shown a complete lack of graciousness. It actually says a lot about you as a person ...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Are you saying its ok to link to copyrighted material?
    The TOS of youtube are fairly clear ...
    It's ok to link to youtube.
    Were it not, the admins would not have put in that code thingy that allows you to link to youtube videos.
    What is hosted on youtube is up to youtube themselves.
    They allow their videos to be linked to.

Should you feel the need, you can click on the video while it is playing. you will be taken to the youtube page which the clip is on and you can report your dismay at this piece of copyrighted material there.
    looks like Terry might be in danger of a ban ...
    Wouldn't be the first time.

I'll ask you once again; are you on a moral crusade to clean up internet forums (and now apparently youtube clips) one by one, or are you just trolling?

I really think it's the latter.

Edit: A quick look through imdb and wikipedia show no link between Mønti Pythøn ik den Høli Gräilen and viacom, apart from CBS television being the first channel to show the film in America.

Terry wrote: »
    Were it not, the admins would not have put in that code thingy that allows you to link to youtube videos.
    What is hosted on youtube is up to youtube themselves.
    They allow their videos to be linked to.

I suggest that linking to youtube copyrighted material is illegal.
    I'll ask you once again; are you on a moral crusade to clean up internet forums (and now apparently youtube clips) one by one, or are you just trolling?

I really think it's the latter.

If I'm the troll here why did you feel the pressing need to post an irrelevant clip in post 133? Thats trolling, and you sir are the troll here :D

And as for my "crusade to clean up internet forums" (Internet has a capital I btw ...) I suggest that its more noble than your crusade to correct all spelling mistakes on Internet forums. Maybe if we worked together we'd have all these nasty forums cleaned up lickety split! :D

Edit: A quick look through imdb and wikipedia show no link between Mønti Pythøn ik den Høli Gräilen and viacom, apart from CBS television being the first channel to show the film in America.

Are you really trying to say the Monthy Python material you linked to is NOT copyrighted???

The level of ignorance here is stunning.

It is most definately illegal to link to copyrighted material on youtube or anywhere else. Have you ever heard of TV Links? Have a look here and here

The quote from the Irish SMod in the article is very interesting. He was arrested and held for 5 hours. FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) laws can charge him with "involvement in organised crime" for linking to copyrighted material on youtube.

I now call on mods to ban Terry for doing illegal (not to mention immoral) things on boards.ie!! I'm not going to go as far as to have him arrested ... yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

I suggest that linking to youtube copyrighted material is illegal.

If I'm the troll here why did you feel the pressing need to post an irrelevant clip in post 133? Thats trolling, and you sir are the troll here :D

And as for my "crusade to clean up internet forums" (Internet has a capital I btw ...) I suggest that its more noble than your crusade to correct all spelling mistakes on Internet forums. Maybe if we worked together we'd have all these nasty forums cleaned up lickety split! :D
    Are you really trying to say the Monthy Python material you linked to is NOT copyrighted???
    The level of ignorance here is stunning.

It is most definately illegal to link to copyrighted material on youtube or anywhere else. Have you ever heard of TV Links? Have a look here and here

The quote from the Irish SMod in the article is very interesting. He was arrested and held for 5 hours. FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) laws can charge him with "involvement in organised crime" for linking to copyrighted material on youtube.

I now call on mods to ban Terry for doing illegal (not to mention immoral) things on boards.ie!! I'm not going to go as far as to have him arrested ... yet!

As an outsider looking on as this thread progressed you do come across more and more as a troll that lost his original argument and so has resorted to personally abusing Terry in a roundabout way. That's how it looks to me anyway. Anyone else feel the same?

As for linking to youtube, there is no problem with doing this as down the line, if youtube deems the content to be in breach of any copyright, the link here on boards will also cease to work.

The blinding stupidity is coming from only one direction ...

You have refused to answer most of the questions I have asked about racism (post 92, 98, 102, etc) ... you have no answer. This I assume is because you dont have a clue.

I now ask you again ... and be man enough to answer this time ... are you caling me a moron or are you implying I'm acting like a moron?

I'm blind I'm blind, oh dear god the stupidity has blinded me.

Ps Ban Terry!!!!

I'm blind I'm blind, oh dear god the stupidity has blinded me.

Ps Ban Terry!!!!

Good to see your own stupidity has finally blinded you! Or were you blind all the time ...

Still not man enough to answer my question I see ...

Actually, lets get serious for a second. You're accusing terry of doing something illegal without any proof that he has linked to something which is in breach of copyright. Yes he linked to copyrighted material, but for all you know the owners of the copyright haven't issue with a segment of their movie being on youTube. As such it is you who is slandering Terry's good name. I suggest for your next brilliant move you threaten legal action.

• Advertisement

arseagon wrote: »
    As an outsider looking on as this thread progressed you do come across more and more as a troll that lost his original argument and so has resorted to personally abusing Terry in a roundabout way. That's how it looks to me anyway. Anyone else feel the same?

As for linking to youtube, there is no problem with doing this as down the line, if youtube deems the content to be in breach of any copyright, the link here on boards will also cease to work.

TBH I dont think I lost my original argument ... as I said a few times readers here can make up their own minds on the level of racism tolerated on boards. I had a gripe ... I posted it here ... I suggested a few solutions .. I accepted the answers given and was happy that at least I tried. This thread was over as far as I was concerned at post 127.

Boston kept sniping (trolling) and taking cheap shots even after I apologised. Just look at his meaningless, idiotic, irrelevant posts. So did Terry. I should be allowed to respond to personal sniping and abuse (not to mention being called a moron) without being called a troll. Would you agree with that?

As for your call for others to agree ... fair enough. I've always been happy for readers to make their own judgements on this one.

And btw linking to copyrighted material on youtube or any other site is illegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement