Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and european studies anyone?

Options
  • 28-12-2007 9:38pm

Heyyyyyy,

I know its agezzzzzzzz away! But I am sooooooo going to UL in september.. Its the only place im applying to.. so unless I completely **** up my leavin cert again.. blah blah blah.

So really wanna do Law.. Anybody here doing Law and european studies? Whats the course likeeeeeeee? Especially the european studies part. French would not be my favourite subject. So what is involveddddddd?

Replies would be greatly appreciated! woo! Shpanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The European Studies part is now optional. I'm sure you know this though.

I don't do the course but do know a few who do. The languages seem to be the bane of their lives as opposed to the anticipated easy ride after leaving cert. 1st year's easy enough. Did German myself in 1st and 2nd year, but dropped it as it's gotten specific to the course and very repititive and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ava-Adore wrote: »
    Heyyyyyy,

I know its agezzzzzzzz away! But I am sooooooo going to UL in september.. Its the only place im applying to.. so unless I completely **** up my leavin cert again.. blah blah blah.

So really wanna do Law.. Anybody here doing Law and european studies? Whats the course likeeeeeeee? Especially the european studies part. French would not be my favourite subject. So what is involveddddddd?

Replies would be greatly appreciated! woo! Shpanks!

You sound like the type of person that would be exactly suited to this course.

Posers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

It has been a long time since I've been drunk...well not really I was drunk last night but it has been a long time since I've come home drunk and posted here :)

Ava learn how to spell....you'll not get far in Law & European Studies (or any course for that matter) if every second sentence you type in an essay contains gems such as "agezzzzzz" (I hope I got the right number of z's in there).

And to be my usual helpful self I'm sure a few people here will be able to fill you in on some of the law parts of the course not sure about the European Studies part of it though. You may have to wait until people get back from the Christmas break before you get a few responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

cson wrote: »
    You sound like the type of person that would be exactly suited to this course.

Posers.

Ah now, play nice... This is just part of the Laccy/LEuro rivalry! :p

Get over yerselves...HPSS is the best ;)

OP, from the European Studies view I know that friends of mine who have taken French have found it increasingly difficult and very hard to obtain good grades in (not pointing fingers, but the department has, shall we say, 'set high standards' in that it doesn't like giving As)... It's harder than Spanish up to about 3rd year after which point Spanish becomes notoriously difficult. I'm going on what I've heard from friends doing these subjects.

In addition to that, the other part of European Studies means taking a politics/history/sociology elective along with you throughout your course. These are supplementary modules that can be a nice break from hardcore law subjects.

As ninty9er pointed out, from September (ie it's an option for you now) there is the new course LM029 Bachelor of Laws (Law Plus) which is more law-based and doesn't have a compulsory language component like Law and Euro. There still are elective options though.

Have a look at them both at the prospectus website.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

rmacm wrote: »
    It has been a long time since I've been drunk...well not really I was drunk last night but it has been a long time since I've come home drunk and posted here :)

Ava learn how to spell....you'll not get far in Law & European Studies (or any course for that matter) if every second sentence you type in an essay contains gems such as "agezzzzzz" (I hope I got the right number of z's in there).

And to be my usual helpful self I'm sure a few people here will be able to fill you in on some of the law parts of the course not sure about the European Studies part of it though. You may have to wait until people get back from the Christmas break before you get a few responses.

You are souch a downer! it was obviously a theme that he was using because he is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (lol) excited to go to UL (wooo! UL!!!)

who knows, maybe you knew that and were triing to be funny, but that sounded so negative.

• Advertisement

gems such as "agezzzzzz" (I hope I got the right number of z's in there).

That was where I was trying to be funny....but as the saying goes humor explained is humor lost.
    You are souch a downer! it was obviously a theme that he was using because he is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (lol) excited to go to UL (wooo! UL!!!)

who knows, maybe you knew that and were triing to be funny, but that sounded so negative.

Me a downer well I never....it must be an overload of Christmas cheer or something.

My point still stands about spelling when you're posting on boards you've got a full keyboard in front of you and a 10,000 character limit per post. There's no need for txt spk or adding multiple zzzzz or oooooo to the end of words. Like it or not in either Law & European studies and Computer Systems you will be required to write reports/essays and lecturers do not look kindly on answers written in your own bastardized version of the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Me a downer well I never....it must be an overload of Christmas cheer or something.

My point still stands about spelling when you're posting on boards you've got a full keyboard in front of you and a 10,000 character limit per post. There's no need for txt spk or adding multiple zzzzz or oooooo to the end of words. Like it or not in either Law & European studies and Computer Systems you will be required to write reports/essays and lecturers do not look kindly on answers written in your own bastardized version of the English language.

I've lived with him. A downer is putting it mildly.

But though his response is harsh, its none the less true. Txtspk is frowned upon unless used, well, on phones...

Otacon wrote: »
    I've lived with him. A downer is putting it mildly.

I hear the rates for weekend breaks to London are pretty good at the moment....if you're not careful I'll be over for a weekend to teach you a lesson on being a downer :)

/me cries!

OK back on topic slouchers! :D

I have a friend who finished Law only recently and he got a job sharpish. Dunno if this is the trend or not but he seems to enjoy it!

lecturers do not look kindly on answers written in your own bastardized version of the English language.

shouldn't that be bastardised....you should maybe ensure that your spell check is on English (Ireland) rather than tha bastardized English (US) version. :p

I've pulled a few lecturers who seem to think they're on the other side of the pond and not this side where English was conceived!!

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    shouldn't that be bastardised....you should maybe ensure that your spell check is on English (Ireland) rather than tha bastardized English (US) version. :p

I've pulled a few lecturers who seem to think they're on the other side of the pond and not this side where English was conceived!!

Well spotted....poxy Firefox Beta not being available in UK-English yet. Yep a lot of lecturers in CSIS seemed attached to the American version of the English language as well to my annoyance on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Well spotted....poxy Firefox Beta not being available in UK-English yet. Yep a lot of lecturers in CSIS seemed attached to the American version of the English language as well to my annoyance on occasion.

It's perfectly acceptable to use American English spellings of things such as 'program' (as opposed to the English 'programme') when referring to technological innovations, as these were invented at "the other side of the Pond" and therefore it is technically correct to use the American spelling.

With regard to the '-ised' versus '-ized' argument, it is difficult to determine where to draw the line: many sticklers will insist on the former but the latter is perfectly correct in the Queen's English these days also. They are generally substitutable, but it is deemed more appropriate to use '-ized' only for more modern, American words as well as scientific and technological terms and to use the more traditional '-ised' for others.

So, law, eh? ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I like -ised versions of words...looks better in my opinion, as well as being non bastardised!

I'm sure Bill Bryson had something to say about it in his book, but I cant be bothered digging it out now too look!

And clear sarcasm from Rmacm there...he regularly cuts himself with his dry wit large, varied vocabulary.

Peteee wrote: »
    ...with his dry wit large, varied vocabulary..

Varied from 'Jewish'!?

Aside from the English lesson, from what I hear, the Law course is difficult but do-able... like women!

Varied from 'Jewish'!?

I'm tempted to make an offensive comment but I won't.
    like women!

Is the SIZE=1 BB code you used in the above quote some relation to the size of your cock? The only reason you have difficulty with women is because the most common phrases you hear from them is "is it in yet" or "is that it".

I'm tempted to make an offensive comment but I won't.

OK thank you...
    Is the SIZE=1 BB code you used in the above quote some relation to the size of your cock? The only reason you have difficulty with women is because the most common phrases you hear from them is "is it in yet" or "is that it".

...Spoke too soon...

OK thank you...

You're welcome :p

Where's kai to lock this thread? I believe it has run its course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kai is here, thread stays open as I hope there are actual folks who have done Law & Euro who can inform the OP.

Posts will be deleted that I deem stupid and unnecessary :)

....women is because the most common phrases you hear from them is "is it in yet"

So it was Otacon I (and a few others) heard in the toilets with a bird in Trooms a few months back ;)

• Advertisement

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

It's perfectly acceptable to use American English spellings of things such as 'program' (as opposed to the English 'programme') when referring to technological innovations, as these were invented at "the other side of the Pond" and therefore it is technically correct to use the American spelling.

With regard to the '-ised' versus '-ized' argument, it is difficult to determine where to draw the line: many sticklers will insist on the former but the latter is perfectly correct in the Queen's English these days also. They are generally substitutable, but it is deemed more appropriate to use '-ized' only for more modern, American words as well as scientific and technological terms and to use the more traditional '-ised' for others.

So, law, eh? ;)

It's all about consistency. If you start of using American English, than continue using it, and vice versa. However, I remember reading in a grammar book that even when using British English, we spell it 'program' when talking about computer programs, as these originated on the other side of the Pond, as you said, but use 'programme' for TV shows, booklets you buy at matches, schedules of conference events etc.

Going back to the OP's comments, if you are really only interested in doing Law, I would do that new Law Plus course that bluedolphin mentioned. I did Law and European Studies, and I found that while the European Studies stuff were interesting enough (I did French and Politics) I found in third and fourth year they could be a bit repetitive and distracting from the amount of time needed to put into the law modules. With French we were given small little niggly assignments every week, these could be annoying compared to say the Law modules where it was just an end of term exam or Politics where there might be one big essay plus an exam.

Advertisement