Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a PE teacher - ever too late?

• 28-12-2007 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello,

Just wondering if anybody out there has experience in becoming a PE teacher at a "latter" stage in their career? I've always idealistically considered PE as my dream job. I've worked in IT for a number of years and thinking about making the change to pursue a career as a PE teacher.

Naturally I have some concerns which I'm wondering if anybody could give me tips or advice on please:

1) Is it too late?: Considering that the area of PE could be physically demanding and that I would not qualify with a degree in Physical Education until I'm 35yrs, would this reduce my competitive edge in the market place for finding employment considering the more abundant youngsters which would almost certainly be applying for the same post(s)?

2) An advantage I would hold to the aforementioned 'youngsters' would be a degree (plus experience) in IT. Is this an advantage?

3) Returning to college at the age of 31! (as I would have to start next October 2008): I'm slightly apprehensive. Does anybody have experience of starting all over again (well making a change) and returning to college as a mature student? If you are/have been a mature student in PE, then please let me know what it's like.

4) Staying local: Better to stay in Ireland? I like the idea behind the Limerick course, i.e. having the opportunity to become qualified to teach another subject besides PE? Anybody with experience from the course in Limerick?

If anybody has any tips/advice please let me know.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't let your age be a barrier - I can see many advantages in having a mature 'new' member of staff. Be aware though that starting late you will be unlikely to ever reach the top of the pay scale, even if you managed to get a job straight away and this will have pension implications for you.

IT as a second subject would certainly be a plus. You might also check out PE-related areas and qualifications like Outdoor Pursuits, the driving licence that allows you to drive a school bus for trips etc. - all those sort of things might give you the edge jobs-wise.

I'm sure you will love returning to college. We need more people with a bit of life experience coming into teaching. The more mature students the better I think, especially people who have had another career and chosen teaching. If they could shorten the payscale from its current length this might encourage more people to do it.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 guess

Hey just read your piece there. I just qualified from U.L in recent years with P.E. It was truely enjoyable. There were many mature students in my year, they all did great and from what ive heard did receive jobs. With I.T you may also have an interest in teaching maths which is an option in U.L with the P.E degree. You probably know this but the subjects available are English, Geography, Maths, Irish, Chemistry. Geography is probably the most popular choice each year. There is also a post grad in P.E on offer in U.L. Im not sure if I.T is the desired under grad for the post grad but it would be worth looking into, it would be a year an half instead of the 4 year degree.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 macaodh

Thanks for the info :)

Always great to hear from people who have graduated successfully from the course. I´ll contact UL and see what they have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Out of interest, does anyone know of any part-time course whereby I could add PE to my teaching subjects? I'm teaching science as things stand which is fine but I wouldn't mind having PE too to give myself more options in the future, should I decide/have to move to another school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 curiousgirl201

Hi, I am currently doing a Bachelor of Arts degree in NUIG. I am currently in second year and I am studying Irish and Geography. I was just wondering if there was anyway I could become a PE teacher if I do a Post-Grad in Physical Ed. after I complete my Bachelor of Arts degree? A reply would be appreciated, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hi, I am currently doing a Bachelor of Arts degree in NUIG. I am currently in second year and I am studying Irish and Geography. I was just wondering if there was anyway I could become a PE teacher if I do a Post-Grad in Physical Ed. after I complete my Bachelor of Arts degree? A reply would be appreciated, thanks.

No, not as far as I know - PE is one of those subjects that you must do a primary degree in for recognition by the Teaching Council, or a three year degree that has at least 50% PE in it

Advertisement