Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chainsaw carving

Options
  • 28-12-2007 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, anyone got any info about chainsaw carving, hubbie fancy's trying this but we don't know too much about it. (what kind of chainsaw, where to source tree trunks etc) Hope someone can give advice ta much :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Does ur hubbie even know how to use a chainsaw? They are a very very very dangerous tool if you don't know how to use one or have the correct protective clothing? If he doesn't he would want to do a chainsaw course before going carving with one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Yup... Learning how to use a chainsaw to cut up normal logs for the fire is a job in itself... You can't get a more dangerous piece of kit. Although it would be pretty cool if he does know how to use one and sure you have to start somewhere. You should defo go for it but a course would be a good start.

A brand I would really reccomend would have to be Stihl... The entry level could be good... Its called the MS170. Should be around €320 inc VAT new. It has a 14 inch saw length (enough for beginner). I worked in machinery hire and sales for a good few years and that's what we mostly sold in the Stihl range... We didn't sell any other brand in hand held garden machinery because nothing was as good. The price reflects the quality.
    Some experts (I dont mean that in a condesending way lads :) . and i don't consider myself too much of an expert) may say that they think the Husquvarna brand is good too, each to their own, but from my relatively short, and my Dad's 40 year experience selling hiring and fixing both brands, Stihl is just put together better.

There is also an electric stihl called the MSE series but we didn't sell too many so I dont know/ remember much about them. This could be good for him too as he will be spending a lot of time going on / off the throttle... Ice carvers use them for this reason. But contrary to popular belief, electric saws are really no safer than petrol saws. But they are more user friendly.

Try not to buy second hand saw privately due to the high rate of robbed equipment going around and you may be buying other peoples headaches.

Safety gear, basic maintenance (mainly of the chain) and safe practice is 1000 times more important than the saw itself though!!!

All that said, it sounds like a cool idea and would be a great stress reliever... let us know how you get on. Try not to be put off by the safety talk... just keep it in mind! :)

Please excuse my terrible punctuation... I've never been good at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Ps couldn't tell u anything about the course end of things... or log suppliers. That would be a thing more localized to your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fanella

Thanks for advice and he will be heeding it !!!! he has done a bit of carving before mostly bog oak and bog pine and he has been cutting logs for a good while ( sorry darling but your no spring chicken !) but never the less I don't want to be a widow just yet so he does intend finding a safety course or a course on chainsaw carving a.s.a.p. We are in Midlands area and if anyone has any info would be glad if it. Nice to know people still care about you. Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and will have a happy new year - cheers.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If he wants the same effect with a little more safety then he needs to try the Arbortech Woodcarver. In essence its a cutting disk for a 115mm angle grinder that has cutting "teeth" the same as a chainsaw. There is also a guard which helps deflect flying wood chips and can help as a sort of guide/steady.

You can get them at Axminster Power tool about 50euro (plus delivery) for the kit but you obviously need a decent angle grinder and the relevant chainsaw sharpening tools (sharpening can be tricky). Axminster Part number ARBPRO4K.

The problem with chainsaw carving is that you are using the most dangerous part of the saw - the tip. So the worst case scenario is that top of the tip snags something and instead of cutting digs in then all the XXX horse power on a chain running at over 100 mph is diverted into twisting the saw back at the user. The chain saw helmet is as much protection (all be it little) for this kick back as it is for something dropping on your head. Any chainsaw should have a working chain brake this stops the chain in a kick back situation but is still no guarantee of safety.

Ah found it online.............

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21315&name=arbo+tech&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=4

Also noticed that Axminster do a few other similar products including one with TCT replacable teeth - nice but probablay does not carve in quite the same way.

• Advertisement

thank you very much for info will look it up tomorrow. Also checking out local safety courses

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can get carving bars for chainsaws, they are more narrow and shaped finer at the tip than a normal wood cutting bar.
    30cc is sufficient for a carving saw which would be the Stihl MS 170/180 series.
    Husqvarna are a smoother running saw and have less vibration which if you are using the saw for extended periods can be uncomfortable.
    The new MS192 rear handle is only 3.3kg and would be nice for carving with.
    Arbortechs are nice, have one myself but they aren't that much safer than a chainsaw.

thanks CJ will be checking these out just shortly, wallet is just recovering from the shock of christmas but hopefully on the mend soon !!!!:)

One more thing, there are a good few books about chainsaw carving out.
    might be worth a look to keep the appetite up while the wallet fills up again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thereformer

i would love to know who cj haughey on boards is!! he always puts down stihl machinery and fills people with false info. have a look people. i bet he is a honda or husqv dealer or distributor. stihl kicks huskys arse. ok older huskys were great saws no question but any newer stuff doesnt deserve the husqvarna badge in my opinion and definitlely is no comparison to stihl tools,:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

i would love to know who cj haughey on boards is!! he always puts down stihl machinery and fills people with false info. have a look people. i bet he is a honda or husqv dealer or distributor. stihl kicks huskys arse. ok older huskys were great saws no question but any newer stuff doesnt deserve the husqvarna badge in my opinion and definitlely is no comparison to stihl tools,:mad:
    agree completly had both husqvarna and stihl. all the newest gear is stihl it just cant be beat. too much plastic in husqvarna and doesnt have the same bite

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Bill Blye is a chainsaw instructor for dermot caseys in mallow co cork , he also does chainsaw carving , very experienced chainsaw user , not to sure if they do courses for carving put its worth a try . Wouldnt dream of useing a chainsaw with out the full training .

Nice one buddy, although you seem to know very little about Stihl.
    See my post above from 2 years ago:rolleyes: what did I recommend?
    2 Stihl saws. the MS 170/180 and the MS 192.
    Did I recommend any Husky saws?
    If you are going to slander people with incorrect information online you better back it up with more than 6 posts.
    For the record I am not involved with any outdoor power equipment but I have rebuilt lots of 2 stroke machinery and know what is what when it comes to engine design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thereformer

how do you know what i know about stihl?
    well done on recommending the 170/180 it is the biggest selling chainsaw ever!
    its hard to find a bad stihl made in the last 20 yrs,and the husqv are just getting worse all the time.
    and for the record how many posts do you need to write to be an expert like you cj haughey?!!

how do you know what i know about stihl?
    well done on recommending the 170/180 it is the biggest selling chainsaw ever!
    its hard to find a bad stihl made in the last 20 yrs,and the husqv are just getting worse all the time.
    and for the record how many posts do you need to write to be an expert like you cj haughey?!!
    You are a Troll.
    No useful information given and you just attack people that try to help.
    145163.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Not very helpful to anyone folks.

Closing 3 year old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement