Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads...The F@cking search option

Options
  • 28-12-2007 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

The search term you specified (in) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

Seriously. i put in about 8 words.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Were all the words over 4 characters in length? If not, that is your problem. Each word has to be over 4 characters in length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That's something that really frustrates me about the search.

I mean, here I am, I want to search all posts for the letter E, yet I am denied?! :confused:

Why can't I search for the letter E?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I mean, here I am, I want to search all posts for the letter E, yet I am denied?! :confused:

It'll break the Internet

Pacifico wrote: »
    It'll break the Internet

Yeah, fair point... And I already did that once, so I best not do it again and piss people off... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Quick fix is to type the word twice till its over 4 letters

ie:

lowlow warning light

thethe wire

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Spankeh wrote: »
    Quick fix is to type the word twice till its over 4 letters

ie:

lowlow warning light

thethe wire

Would that not just skip over words like low and search for words like lowlow?

Edit: I created a thread in test with "low" in the post. A search for lowlow doesn't pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

site:boards.ie That's something that really frustrates me about the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

lets say you want to search for 'hairy wrestling men'

what you'll need to do is add * to the 'men' part to bring it up to 4 chars and enable wildcard searching.

eg.

'hairy wrestling men*'

now quit your whining :)

Boolean Operators FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

We don't want to encourage your drug habit. That's why you're not allowed watch that one episode of Sesame St. Me on the other hand, well I'll never look at Kermit the same again... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Because it's E-vil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Eh what kind of search algorithm is being used? Surely more efficient methods can be implemented? I guess the boards archive is massive at this stage so I can see why there's a 4 term minimum search. But how do google get around this problem?

Is the system restricted to using a vBulletin search? If not, would a quick-fix solution be to utilise an embedded google search?

It's not a 4 term minimum search, it's just that all words you search for have to be 4 characters or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You could index all words with 3 letters or more, but you would increase the load and length of each search.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

This reminds me, when you go to advanced, it's a nightmare searching through the list of forums with how it is setup.

Any chance it can be made a bit more user friendly?

803634604415111075705148_this.jpg

Could the size of the box be increased?
    And to a lesser degree of importance/necessity, the Forum headers be put in bold/larger font or diff colour?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Google is your friend. site:boards.ie as one of the search terms. Problem solved ;)

FruitLover wrote: »
    Because it's E-vil.

Oh dear...

I don't know what's worse, that joke, or the fact that I actually smirked at it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cantab. wrote: »
    But how do google get around this problem?

An insane amount of hardware and a search algorithim that its based on.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They also omit simple search terms like "the" "of "and" and a lot of other common terms etc..

vB's search engine is pants but we arent about to rewrite it. There are workarounds, as detailed above...

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its nothing to do with vB. The same problem is with all boards, including the rival Invision Power Board.

The problem boils down to the database, I assume its MySQL here. Apparently, its a database thing and not the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

DeVore wrote: »
    vB's search engine is pants but we arent about to rewrite it. There are workarounds, as detailed above...

Someone has gone and replaced vB's search engine with Sphinx which is supposed to be a billion times better.

Of course there are a few quirks with it but nothing that I can see that is show stopping if an admin ever decides to do this.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1283359&postcount=387

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sully wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with vB. The same problem is with all boards, including the rival Invision Power Board.

The problem boils down to the database, I assume its MySQL here. Apparently, its a database thing and not the board.

I doubt that it's entirely down to the database. Inefficient queries, storage and indexing by the application is more likely. I'd think MySQL is less memory intensive than Oracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I've seen the Sphinx thing. I might even play with it sometime, looks good.

Advertisement