Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get the boiler to light

Options
  • 28-12-2007 10:56pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems that our gas boiler does not want to restart after I was away for a few days over christmas. The instructions on the bottom of it say about how to restart and say that you should check that there is 1 bar pressure first. The gauge is showing about 0.8bar though. I'm not sure if that might actually be the cause of it not though but when I hit the on button it sounds as if it's just repeatedly trying to ignite but nothing seems to be happening.

Is that much of a difference in the pressure liable to be the cause of it not lighting, and if so how does one go about getting the pressure back up? Is there anything that I might be able to fix with it or do I have to call someone out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Hi,

I had similar problem a few months back. It occured just after I bled the radiators (let air out of them). The boiler would just not start, it seemed to try but then died. I couldnt figure it out. Got guy from Borg Gais out and he had it sorted in less than 5 mins. Basically you have to bleed the air out of the immersion aswell. and all the radiators and then it worked fine....

Cost me €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It is likely that when you did not use the heating for a few days the temperature dropped and the water contracted, bringing the pressure in the system below 1 bar . Find the fill valve and get the pressure back up. It may be in the hotpress or near the boiler.
    Jim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is there anyway of telling which of the red knobs in the hotpress I should be turning? One seems to be attached to a pipe going in about half way up the immersion tank and the other seems to be attached to the same bit of pipework but just before it disappears through both the floor and then the ceiling. Neither of those sound as if they would be what I'm looking for though as far as I can figure out.

I cannot see anything else to turn in there and the only turnable thing attached to anything near the boiler is a yellow tap that can just be switched 90 for on or off and is right below the boiler.

Advertisement