Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turn off console and clean disk

• 28-12-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Got an xbox 360 a while ago and got a lend of a few games to try out. one in particular was dead rising. Whilst playing, on a regular basis my xbox would seem to struggle loading, whirring away on loading screens until finally giving up with the sidebar telling me to reset the console and clean the disk.

Since this was an old game I got a lend of I put it down to it being my mates fault for improper care. Anyway so I get two brand new games recently and now and again, not as regular as dead rising, the same message pops up. Is this common with xbox's or is my machine a bit ropey?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

My COD4 says Unplayable disk on dashboard sometimes when I turn it on but I never got your error message before and it doesn't interrupt a game either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

Never happened to me before! Did you try cleaning the discs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I get the same bull**** now and again and my xbox is in the cleanest place where there aren't even carpets...just wooden floors...i don't get it...my house is spotless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

That's the unreliable xbox for you, it happens.

It could be a sign that the xbox is about to get the red lights or it could not, I know people who have gotten that for up to a year and a half!

I wouldn't worry about unless it's happening extremely frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Happens a lot with Fifa 08 on me...I don't get it. All my disks are perfect too. As far as I remember, has happened occasionally with my console since i bought it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It's probably the hard drive rather than the disc.

A lot of games copy data off the disc onto the hard drive when you first get them on to speed up loading later. What can happen is that the data on the hard drive becomes corrupt and then you get errors while loading. The game then assumes this means a disc error, but more often than not its actually the cache on the hard disk.

If you google for clearing xbox 360 hard disc cache, there's a sequence of button presses you enter while booting that will clear the hard drive and should fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I used to get this error quite a lot on random games (Dead Rising and Lost Planet seemed to be the main culprits)
    Setting the xbox to boot to the dashboard instead of loading a game at startup seemed to resolve it, I haven't had the message since then anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

My xbox used to do that a lot as well on certain disks. To solve the problem Microsoft wanted €88 from me to replace the dvd drive so I just traded it in for an elite :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I get this message every time I try to load up Oblivion on my 360. I googled it for hours and was lead to believe it was just a hard drive cache issue with that particular game so I cleared that but it didn't fix it.

Now the game disk itself is pretty scratched but it brings me to the main screen, lets me choose the game I want to load, loads up and its only when I go to move that I get the error. Pretty sure it is just the game now and not the xbox as all my other games work on it without a problem. Play madden 08 regularly and that disk takes a beating but never fails to work... so it could just be that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Cheers for the replies lads, appreciated.

So I was adament not to name names but here it goes. I'm playing Bioshock pretty solidly since christmas and when i'm loading one level i ge that message i was talking about. End up having to go back a bit and finish the level again. Again no loading. On the third attempt everything is grand and I plough on.

Now im at the very end. I can smell the credits im that close and it wont load (what I presume to be) the last level. It's frustrating the hell out of me. This is after many attempts at loading. Do I cut my losses and return the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Have you cleared your cache?

goto system blade - memory - highlight HDD - Y - X - X - LB - RB - X -X

might help ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

If the 360 is less than a year old Microsoft will repair it for free, could be the DVD drive fubared, some of them are not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Find this happens quite alot to me aswell, ever since I got my 360.

Off the top of my head : Dead Rising, Gears of War and Mass Effect are the biggest culprits, but Im fairly sure it's happened to most games I own. It always sems to be during loading sequences, so I'll give clearing the cache a go and report back.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

This happened to me also. Put in a disc I got from xbox magazine and it would not load. From then on all games have me the error message you got above. Then it stopped reading disks altogether.
    I call microsoft about after several infurating calls to india I call the MS head office accross the road from me. They said to box it and game me an address but they could not guarintee it being fixed before christmas (it was early november) so I gave it to a guy in bray who replaced the drive for 60 euro. All inclusive.

Varkov wrote: »
    Off the top of my head : Dead Rising, Gears of War and Mass Effect are the biggest culprits, but Im fairly sure it's happened to most games I own. It always sems to be during loading sequences, so I'll give clearing the cache a go and report back.

Ah crap, I got Gears for Christmas. Haven't played it yet but if it acts up like the others I'll really really pissed.

Again thanks for the replies, ill try that cache clearing up thing and get back to ye. Thanks again.

Well I tried clearing the cache and still no joy. I'm taking the game back.

Brought back the gaem today and the shop was grand. Asked me all sorts of questions though and one that stood out was 'do I have the console vertical or horizontal'. I have it vertical and he said that's the best way to have it as having it flat gives the lazer more work to do and tends to scratch disks. Never heard it before so whether its true or not, now you know!

Oh and the game now loads the level so it was the disk and not my xbox. *phew"

Advertisement