Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc / MA in Interactive Media -- anyone taking this course?

Options
  • 28-12-2007 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

From what I've read on the UL site, this course sounds like a good fit for what I'm looking for. I want to become more capable in multimedia and apply what I learn to my skill set as a journalist. I should mention that I would be entering this course as an international student from America.

Does anyone have experience with this course? Like it? Hate it? It seems like it's a quality course, but I want to get some feedback from people who have experience with it.

Thanks!

-Ben

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

Im not in the course myself. but what i have heard of from other people, like advisors is that it a very good asthetic course where your maily tought the skills, but you make what you can out of it with (like most courses.)

I think i may do this course next year. im kind of stuck in the choice of this, the games developement course, or the comp science one.

if you come will you be coming next year?
    Why would you come here when you could go to somewhere like fullsail or something in america? just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭micromegas

Im not in the course myself. but what i have heard of from other people, like advisors is that it a very good asthetic course where your maily tought the skills, but you make what you can out of it with (like most courses.)

I think i may do this course next year. im kind of stuck in the choice of this, the games developement course, or the comp science one.

if you come will you be coming next year?
    Why would you come here when you could go to somewhere like fullsail or something in america? just curious.

Thanks for the help. I'm looking at doing graduate school in Ireland for two reasons. First, I studied in Ireland for a semester (at DCU) in 2006 and I've been anxious to return. Second, most Master's programs in Ireland take one year. In America, a typical Master's program takes at least two years. Also, Full Sail only offers two or three Master's programs and most of them are online-instruction based.

I'm probably going to apply to UL, but I'm also planning on applying to DCU and London Met. If I am accepted to any of them, I'll be starting in Sept. 2008.

-Ben

will irish colleges not accept your own american honours degrees to qualify for masters here? you do know this course is a lvl8 eg 4 yrs and not an masters right?

I would actually like to get some input froma person who experienced or who is experiencing this course. Its always.... precarious going into and arts course. lots of misperception i hear.

will irish colleges not accept your own american honours degrees to qualify for masters here? you do know this course is a lvl8 eg 4 yrs and not an masters right?

I would actually like to get some input froma person who experienced or who is experiencing this course. Its always.... precarious going into and arts course. lots of misperception i hear.

What do you mean it isn't a master's? It says that it's a MA, which to me means it's a Master's....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You're talking about 2 different courses. The one you're on about is the Bsc. in Multimedia & Computer Games Development. The one micromegas is talking about is the M.Sc./M.A in Interactive Media.

http://www1.csisdmz.ul.ie/prospst/undergraduate_courses/

and

http://www1.csisdmz.ul.ie/prospst/postgraduate_courses/

for reference......I should be getting drunk right now but sickness has got in the way :( but I may not let that stop me. Depending on how I feel in the next few minutes I could be hammered by the time I post again.

hic....mission accomplished (Vodka and champagne is a wonderful combination...now time for some more)

• Advertisement

To respond to your first question: Yes, Irish colleges will accept my own American honours degree. There is an application process, however the minimum requirements for admittance are unclear. From what I've read, anyhow. I know at DCU all it says on the site is to apply through PAC. Beyond that it's a bit of a mystery.

sorry i was actually thinking about the digital media design course. (LM113)

my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

FWIW I took Interactive Media's sister course Music Technology and the entry requirements for each course were quite flexible. There were several Americans in each class and as far as I know their applications process was not particularly convoluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I did the IMeida course in 2004/2005. A good course, great laugh and it was a good year. Very diverse intake about 50% Art students and 50% Tech students (and me in the middle with a BA). Don't expect to taught a lot, it is more along the lines of directed learning where you have to research the applications etc your are interested in using for your project.

It did the job for me as it now gets me a hansome bonus on my teacher's salary. It cost feck all to do for the year and the work was interesting and innovative. I got a first without killing myself working. I suggest you head down to the IDC and chat to some of the bodies down there or even the students. They have a project expo at the end of every year which will really show you what the course is all about.

Advertisement