Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Kayak Club Accident

Options
  • 28-12-2007 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1228/kerry.html

UCD girl is critical after falling into the river in Kerry on a trip with the UCD Kayak Club.

Hope she recovers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Oh god.

Today just doesn't get any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I hope she recovers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Hope she's ok - i know a few people in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

That girl has died - how dreadful. My thoughts with her family and friends.

Mods - can we lock this topic to prevent further discussion? Probably for the best...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Mods - can we lock this topic to prevent further discussion? Probably for the best...

I don't see the need for a pre-emptive lock. Everyone here so far has been very mature don't you think?

It was a terrible accident, and I'm sure the girl's family and friends didn't think a kayaking trip would be the last they would see of her. A death in the family near christmas is one of the hardest things for many people to deal with. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

RIP, very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Woman dies after kayaking accident
    Saturday, 29 December 2007 08:59

A 21-year-old woman has died after she was injured while kayaking on the River Gaddagh in Co Kerry yesterday.

The woman, who is believed to be from Portarlington in Co Laois, was with a group from the UCD Kayak Club, when her boat overturned.

She was unable to retrieve the kayak and is understood to have become stuck under a fallen tree branch.

She was given CPR at the scene and was taken to Killarney Hospital and later transferred to Tralee General Hospital where she died.

RTÉ News

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My brother is in Kerry on the TCD kayking trip, they weren't actually with the UCD crowd, Still, quite scary.

Such a sad thing to happen. Unfortunately there seems to be one of these stories every few months, I suppose with such a big student population it's bound to happen.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Snakes

Very sad news, RIP. Upsetting for all those in the Kayak club which is a small, tight club.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Couldn't meet a nicer girl,never a bad word to say about her!

R.I.P Deirdre

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

As long as everyone stays nice and respectful, I see no reason to lock this.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Such a waste. I didn't know her but she was meant to be going on Erasmus with a friend of mine who's in Rad next week as far i know. very sad indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I knew her, only just heard, she's meant to be going to Norway for three months.

Lovely girl - will be missed by all in rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

RIP

A very sad day for her family, friends and UCD Sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Saw it on the news,very sad news to hear so soon after Christmas.My prayers and thoughts are with her family and friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Terrible news. Thoughts are with her family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

very sad news

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

My condolences.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

Wow, just heard about this today... was out paddling, made the river pretty scary.

I only went to the club things a few times but they were a really nice group. If she is who i think (dee?) she was really nice and stuff. Its so scary to think people can die doing what i do every weekend. It's always so sad when these things happen, really affects the entire community of paddlers.

My deepest sympathies to the family and all the other club members. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Very sad, I hope her family recovers

• Advertisement
Advertisement