Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do cats require vacinations like dogs?

• 28-12-2007 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I must confess to not being much of a cat person up to now as all the cats we had before basically wanted to do their own thing and so I never had much contact with them in general.

However our latest cutie is so expressive she is almost like a dog. She sneaks into my room every evening and likes to watch tv between snoozes. Then at 9am she virtually announces she wants to be let out again.

I am just wondering can a cat be vaccinated and chipped like a dog. Id hate for her to get lost or sick as she is now such a pal to me.

Sorry if this Q sounds a bit stupid but as I said cats around here usually looked after themselves most of the time. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Most definitely. They can catch viruses from other cats even if they are only outside for a short time and get them examined at least once a year. While you are there get a booster as well. No harm in having them chipped as well, all our cats are. At least 45 europeans in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

...cat owner fluffy stuff .... can a cat be vaccinated
    Yes. There are different vaccinations.
    Typically, it's done around 9 weeks (kitten) and a booster about 2-3 weeks after it, IIRC -depending on the vaccine obviously.
    ... can it be chipped?
    Yes. No idea how much it costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Sorry I don't know much about cats, but re the chipping, I think is it the DSPCA or the ISPCA that do it for like €5 or something. I don't know if they do cats though and it might only be a once a year thing. I'm not sure, maybe you could ask on the petsireland board? There are a good few people on there that are very knowledgeable about cats. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cats also can (and should be) neutered/spayed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

agree with peasent, if she's not already done of course lol. It seems female cats can get pregnant if a tom so much as looks at them lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Yes - we have her nurtured - will get the vaccinations done this week.

Her ears seem to be giving her grief too as she is always itching them. But the vet will look into that too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Could be ear mites, simple solution to get that sorted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Great idea to have the cat chipped, they seem to be overlooked in the chipping department for some reason (even though stray cats are more likely to be presented as RTA cases in vets than dogs). Virtually any animal can be chipped, even snakes and birds, and usually from as early as two days old!! My local vets charge 40 quid, im sure this varies a lot from practice to practice though, but it is definitely worth it, its only a once off payment too, once its done its done for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Don't forget the worming and de-fleaing!

Advertisement