Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons Sale Misleading

Options
  • 29-12-2007 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I was in Dixons in Jervis today to look at Samsung TVs. There was a 32 inch M series one I had my eye on in Power City which was €999 a few months ago but they don't have any anymore. But Dixons had it today. There were red "Sale" signs everywhere.The price sign under the telly had the red "Sale" sign on it and the the price - €1,099. I called an assistant over and asked what was the original price. He calmly said that €1,099 was the original price and that the "sale" part of the sign referred to the fact that it was for sale. Is that daft or what? Dixons obviously cover the shop with sale signs and then don't reduce the price. Some poor innocent will probably buy something at the original price thinking that they are getting a great deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

They can say sale all they want ... what they can't say is Was 1,599 now 1,099 unless it really has been reduced...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

True, jhegarty.

In sales, there are always products that are not included and the consumer accepts that. So why didn't they just put an ordinary price sign on it? Not one with "SALE" blazoned across it.

I'm not particularly angry about it, just mildly irritated. At €1,099, it was still too expensive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they do it because they can get away with it, and if they catch one person out with it, then it will be worth it. ordinary price sign wouldn't have the same effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I thought there were pretty strict guidelines in advertising an iten as 'on sale' (i.e. at a discounted price as part of a sale). something about having had to be on sale for a certain number of consecutive trading days at the previous price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I thought there were pretty strict guidelines in advertising an iten as 'on sale' (i.e. at a discounted price as part of a sale). something about having had to be on sale for a certain number of consecutive trading days at the previous price.

30 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

I bought a Sony 37'' LCD TV today in Dixons Jervis(P3020 for €899) when I got home I found the same TV in Power city is only €799.

What should I do now? Does Dixons have price match policy?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Is Power City within two miles of the Dixons branch, and is the listed price it's regular price, or a sale or otherwise special offer price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Dixons matched the price fair play to them. €799 for the 37' P3020,not a bad deal at all.

Advertisement