Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FTO...any known issues??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm not looking for something overly fast or even fast. If it's responsive I'm happy.

I've got a sluggish Corsa that's getting unbearable to drive, my mam likes it but I'm getting bored of not getting a response when I plant the accelerator. The FTO looks good and cures that ill!!!!

Auto is a requirement as stated above, because I want my left knee to exist in 10 years and with the sort of traffic i negotiate that'll be a difficulty with a manual. The mirage is an option I suppose.

Why not auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

tyney wrote: »
    I had a 2litre v6, and it was the only car that I really didn't get tired of. The tappets can get noisy, but they quieten down when you use a good quality fully synth oil. Manual gearboxes are crap. Tiptronic box learns your driving style, and if you thrash it to the red in every gear, it automatically assumes you want to do this all the time. You have to go back to manual mode to get it to behave. Best all round fun car I owned. It was worth all the "hairdresser" slagging. I looked at 15 of them before I found a good unmolested one. It doesn't need a big exhaust and huge wheels. I sold mine because the pram (which we didn't have when I bought it) wouldn't fit in the boot. I might buy another one for my mid life crisis.

no way mate i have a GPX manual mivec one and its the mutz nutz... bro in law had a tippy and said he'd have killed for a manual......... way more fun!

has that one come in from the UKor straight from Jap??? watch for rust on the Eng ones... mine came from Jap to england and now to me and the rear camber arms are quite rusted on it... nothin to bad like little bit of surface rust but nothin too deep........

they are a lovely car that one isnt awful cheap for what it is.. if u wanted to bring one in urself from UK u could get a nicer one cheaper than that!

best site for info on the car is fto-ireland.com. im a member there and all the lads on there know every nut and bolt in the car so ur best bet for advice is there... also there are some seriously well looked after ones for slae on there2.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ninty9er wrote: »
    Why not auto.

Autos are generally slower and use more petrol, that's most peoples problem with them, that and they aren't as manly as a manual box!
    The INVECS II box in the FTO is better and more responsive than an awful lot of auto boxes in much newer cars.
    If you need an auto, you like the look of the FTO, and aren't bothered about speed, then by all means get a Tiptronic GS. Personally I'd find the money somewhere and get a V6

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Personally I'd find the money somewhere and get a V6

I AGREE... cant beat the noise of those V's openin up b4 MIVEC kicks in! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I had lots of contact with FTO's.

The big thing on jap imports is rust aznd suspension bushes...........

The bushes on the suspension are poor, and coupled with the irish roads when they got here, well - a lot of them fto's have shabby suspensions.

nice cars tho' - had one for a weekend just after they arrived in the country and its was sweet. Very Sexy little sports car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

miss enzo wrote: »
    bro in law had a tippy and said he'd have killed for a manual......... way more fun!

++

With a manual you can hone and finesse your driving by getting the very last out of the current gear or preselecting a gear to come out of a corner etc. I also prefer manual for tricky maneuvers such as overtaking where you can leave it in a lower gear and get a high level of acceleration.

But overall manual is fun and encourages you to engage with your car and concentrate on your driving... When i lived in the US i drove an auto and it just became boring, never again ;)..

I'll get back to you Colm...I could get TPFT, but with a car like that I'd really prefer to afford the fully comp.

I suppose I could alwyas pay through the nose for the Quinn finance.

Orange69 wrote: »
    ++

With a manual you can hone and finesse your driving by getting the very last out of the current gear or preselecting a gear to come out of a corner etc. I also prefer manual for tricky maneuvers such as overtaking where you can leave it in a lower gear and get a high level of acceleration.

But overall manual is fun and encourages you to engage with your car and concentrate on your driving... When i lived in the US i drove an auto and it just became boring, never again ;)..

same as i was there for 6months and i was SO bored drivin i found my mind wandering and i wasnt concentrating on drivin!!!!

my baby now has my full attention at all times!!!! :D

I'll get back to you Colm...I could get TPFT, but with a car like that I'd really prefer to afford the fully comp.

I suppose I could alwyas pay through the nose for the Quinn finance.

im with quinn fully comp... and my price is VERY reasonable...... im 23 have 4 yrs no claims and 5 yrs full licence.

i had some issues with them over my renewal last june, i got a quote online to see what the difference was between my renewal quote and a new customer quote.. there was a big difference and when i challenged them over it they tried to tell me i got a quote on a non-import FTO...... dont fall for that ****e... the FTO was only ever made in Japan. a few were sold to europe where Ralliart did their thing with them and even at that they are still imported to ireland..... i had to report them to the insurance federation for offerin quotes on cars that dont exsist!!! and i got my cheaper price! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I could get TPFT, but with a car like that I'd really prefer to afford the fully comp.
    With a car worth 5k or less fully comp is not worth it, between excesses (Quinn's excess is very high), how much they'd pay out as they never pay out the insured amount, in this case it'd prob be 2.5-3k, and how much you'll pay in increased premiums should you claim.

• Advertisement

the difference between 3pf&t and fully comp was only €150 on mine, worth it I'd say.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the difference between 3pf&t and fully comp was only €150 on mine, worth it I'd say.
    Not worth it tho if it's not worth your while claiming.

Meh.
    I have a company car, If I crashed and if it was my fault, I probably wouldn't replace the car.

I'm not planning on crashing it!

Obviously wouldn't be planning on crashing, but I couldn't afford to replace a car like that out of my own pocket.

Obviously wouldn't be planning on crashing, but I couldn't afford to replace a car like that out of my own pocket.
    A bank loan would probably work out cheaper than claiming off insurance for a car in that price bracket.

You can ask your insurance co how much they'd pay out, how much your premiums would go up by etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

One thing you might want to consider is the availability and price of parts should naything go wrong with your fto. From hearing from fto owners over the years parts are crazy hard to get a hold of an expensive too!

The auto box in the 1.8 gs has a bad reputation reliability wise because people havent maintained them and changed the gear oil religiously through the years, this might sound dramatic but ive never heard of an fto 4 speed auto box that hasnt gone pop or been replaced by the owner its just a matter of time with them so im told.

The rest of the stuff mentioned like bushes etc are all cheap fixes and chalked down to maintenance stuff more than known issues really, in general thayre a solid car. check with other insurance companies also, i know for a fact that most insurance companies have the 1.8gs and 2.0gpx at the same riskk levels despite the gap in performance.

There is quite good support out there for parts, there are a number of breakers that have a few in stock, and the Irish FTO forum is a great resource for finding obscure parts.
    The auto boxes aren't as bad as your source makes out- though they can give problems if neglected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I'm not looking for a racer and don't do too much long journey travel, but if there was a 2.0 V6 going I wouldn't be averse to the idea...however the ones on carzone are in the wrong colours...I don't have the patience to keep black or white clean, the yellow is painful and the wine is sold.

It doesn't really bother me all that much though. A Legacy is the fallback car, though the tax may be slightly above budget, for someone who's becoming an unemployed student in September.

I have a 2.0V6 Steel Silver for sale. 1997 Manual. You might have trouble with insurance at 21 though. It will be doing the NCT on the 7th of this month.

Im in Limerick too.

Just did an insurance check, wouldn't be able to stretch to it for the 2.0.

It's an auto I'm after more than an FTO....i suppose I should have a mechanic look at it anyway, though Mitsus seem bulletproof. Probably offer 3200 for it though cos it needs 2 new tyres and tax is due next month. The seller also put a dent in the driver's door (small job) the day before I saw it.

Woops :) Missed this bit.

Anyway, if you have any problems with the 1.8, the engine parts are the same as a 1.8 Mitsi Galant. Just say this to any confused mechanic who is loath to work on this strange and unfamiliar looking car.

• Advertisement

on the topic of parts camskills.co.uk sell all standard factory FTO parts aswell as upgrades. ricerocket.co.uk also has a wide range of fto parts, and if that fails ur nearest mitsi garage can order parts. ive never had trouble finding parts for mine so that souldnt make u change ur mind about wantin one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Anyone I know who's had a Mitsubishi has had nothing but trouble with them, and the 1.8 FTO is the same basic engine as the 1.8 Mitsubishi engined Volvo S40(the 4G93 lump) and I would say avoid it at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Jumpy wrote: »
    I have a 2.0V6 Steel Silver for sale. 1997 Manual. You might have trouble with insurance at 21 though. It will be doing the NCT on the 7th of this month.

Im in Limerick too.

Is this up on carzone?

I might be interested...

I too am in Limerick :)

E92 wrote: »
    Anyone I know who's had a Mitsubishi has had nothing but trouble with them, and the 1.8 FTO is the same basic engine as the 1.8 Mitsubishi engined Volvo S40(the 4G93 lump) and I would say avoid it at all costs.

hmm interestin cause there have been 2 fto's in my house in the lst few yrs and we had no trouble with either.
    i have mine yr and a half and have NEVER had a problem with it...... its how u look after them that matters! :D

E92 wrote: »

Never heard anyone complain about the Volvo, except Patrick2006 on here who had a few issues.

I have now decided to stick out for a V6, but it must be automatic. I know someone who bought a 02 147, an 04 Astra and a 03 Vectra in that order and all he wanted was his 96 Galant with 250k miles on it back!! Never a spot of trouble and went like a rocket. Arguing Mitsubishi reliability is poor is digging a hole.

This is the company that builds the Pajero!! second in the Outback only to the Landcruiser. And whatever about the build quality of some smaller Toyotas these days the Landcruiser is one vehicle that I've never heard anyone complain about. The Pajero is a very similar vehicle.

Mitsu reliability is not even a micro issue for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That's because the vast majority of 1.8 S40's had Volvo engines, which were fine, but the 1.8's with the Mitsubishi engines(which is the one I have), the ones with direct injection, were only available in high spec SE trim and are badged as 1.8 i on the back were a disaster and are a temperamental engine to say the least.... need to be driven hard every so often a la diesels that fail the NCT on emissions, otherwise you get a huge build up of carbon(due to low fuel quality, and it hates being stuck in traffic).

They should be OK these days, BMW import cars with direct injection now, along with VAG(they have been doing it for quite some time at this stage) and so far so good, however when the GDI engine came in first the sulphur content was way way higher than it is now, and direct injection petrols hate low quality high sulphur fuel.

the FTO engine isn't GDI though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mitsubishi had a few differnet 1.8 litre petrol engines back then. Didn't they have the GDI, the MIVEC version in the Lancer GSR and the normal 16 valve unit found in the Galant?

GDI afaik was only introduced in 1996/1997 which was designed to be more fuel efficent, hardly a requirement for the FTO?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just did an insurance check, wouldn't be able to stretch to it for the 2.0

You checked on a website? That's not an insurance check!

Ring all insurance companies and all brokers today and I bet you'll get a quote on the 2.0

Buying a 1.8 FTO is a bit like buying a BMW 316 ;)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    You checked on a website? That's not an insurance check!

I know, it's even better with Quinn. Might ring St. Paul's or FBD. Anecdotally not even my current insurers will touch me. They want €1600 for the Corsa insurance I'd say it's a safe bet they won't beat Quinn

Advertisement