Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment hunting in South East Dublin City

Options
  • 29-12-2007 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭

I haven't been a flat hunter in many years. I'm now in a sitution where I have to find a comfortable apartment to rent for my mother (mid-60s).

Anyone got any info on the current state of affairs when it comes to flat hunting in SE Dublin? I mean, with a budget of €1500pm, and a prospective tenant who's not going to be having wild parties, is there a lot of competition? Do apartments go quickly? Is there room for negotiation on rents? etc.etc. Also, what comes included in rentals these days? Most apartments on Daft suggest things like dishwashers & micowaves are included. I wasn't expecting that!

Any advice or info would be welcomed as it's a stressful experience just thinking about having to find somewhere nice for a parent!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

BendiBus wrote: »
    I haven't been a flat hunter in many years. I'm now in a sitution where I have to find a comfortable apartment to rent for my mother (mid-60s).

Anyone got any info on the current state of affairs when it comes to flat hunting in SE Dublin? I mean, with a budget of €1500pm, and a prospective tenant who's not going to be having wild parties, is there a lot of competition? Do apartments go quickly? Is there room for negotiation on rents? etc.etc. Also, what comes included in rentals these days? Most apartments on Daft suggest things like dishwashers & micowaves are included. I wasn't expecting that!

Any advice or info would be welcomed as it's a stressful experience just thinking about having to find somewhere nice for a parent!

Good luck with that. You might find it very difficult to get a landlord to take a tenant of that age -- I mean, it's very hard to sell if you've a 70 year old single woman living in your flat. Also, were someone of that age to have no money to pay rent, it's not like the landlord can just evict them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

First, it is illegal to discriminate against a prospective tenant on the basis of age.

You will find landlords who go for this. Maybe not the main stream of landlords, but there are landlords out there who will be interested in this.

You would expect a furnished apartment to come with things like microwaves and dishwashers. Most apartments in Ireland are furnished.

I think your budget is very sufficient but it depends on what you have in mind.

Good luck to your mother in her new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are some sheltered housing projects out there for older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

First, it is illegal to discriminate against a prospective tenant on the basis of age.
    No such law exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Victor wrote: »
    There are some sheltered housing projects out there for older people.

She's only mid-60s, still working and will be paying most of the rent herself. We (her sons) will add a bit so she can get somewhere nice.

We only plan to rent for a year or so before buying somewhere for her.

I hadn't thought of her age being an issue. I'd have thought a little old lady is likely to be a good tenant - no damage, no complaints from neighbours etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bluetonic wrote: »
    No such law exists.
    I refer you to the Equal Status Act, 2000. www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA8Y2000.html

While there are exceptions, you can't discriminate based on age.

Advertisement