Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friendly Gun Clubs in Cork, need help for a fellow shooter please

• 29-12-2007 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

A friend of mine from England was in contact with me today. A friend of his has moved over to live in Cork. He's a very enthusiastic shooter and is finding it hard to get into a gun club. This guy really really doesn't want to be forced into giving up his bit of shooting, I imagine that he feels the same as any of us here would do in the same circumstance.

Now, I don't know this guy but my friend knows his stuff about firearms, and I take his word this guy is a proper shooter. So can anyone in the Cork area give me a bit of help for a fellow shooter please?

Any and all help is much appreciated,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

johngalway wrote: »
    Hi folks,

A friend of mine from England was in contact with me today. A friend of his has moved over to live in Cork. He's a very enthusiastic shooter and is finding it hard to get into a gun club. This guy really really doesn't want to be forced into giving up his bit of shooting, I imagine that he feels the same as any of us here would do in the same circumstance.

Now, I don't know this guy but my friend knows his stuff about firearms, and I take his word this guy is a proper shooter. So can anyone in the Cork area give me a bit of help for a fellow shooter please?

Any and all help is much appreciated,

John
    If hes stuck contact lough bo shooting club in Sligo they will give him membership and at least he will get his licences on the strength of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What sort of club is lough bo shooting club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks FS, I'll relay that info to my mate. I'm sure it'll help :) Would you happen to have a phone number for them?

If there are any suggestions for Cork please let me know. He's interested in both rough and target shooting. At the moment from what I know he wants to hold onto his firearms but hopes to actively rough shoot again in the future. At the moment he's got a .22lr and shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

the lough bo shooting centre is in riverstown co sligo it caters for
    clay pigeon pistol and rifle shooting,ring john at o868396620 0r
    gerry at o86 8262654 for more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

JohnGalway,
    Exactly what part of Cork is he moving to? I am 20 mins west outside the City. Most Rough Shooting Gun clubs would be happy with new members. As for target, is it Centrefire or .22? Fermoy rifle club caters for .22, centrefire is more tricky, the only official range closed down before Xmas. PM me if he wants to give me a call, no probs.
    All d best.

• Advertisement

What sort of fees do Fermoy charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

dbar can i just enquire which club your in, i'm in your area and when i went looking the conditions i was asked for, well they were bordering on absurd

got the feeling the did't want new people,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

hi John

I am just east of cork city. The club here only admits new members once a year, I am on the wiating list at the mom. It really depends on the area.

For rilfe's i agree with dbar fermoy for .22. I was trying to get a place myself recenlty its not so easy for centrefire as fermoy closed thie year.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

kerryman12 wrote: »
    hi John

I am just east of cork city. The club here only admits new members once a year, I am on the wiating list at the mom. It really depends on the area.

For rilfe's i agree with dbar fermoy for .22. I was trying to get a place myself recenlty its not so easy for centrefire as fermoy closed thie year.

Hope this helps.

Most NARGC type gun clubs only admit members at their AGM, mostly held in June/July. Write a letter to the Club Secretray applying for membership in advance of this and they will decide at the AGM on your application.

Can you join clubs outside your area? I have had nothing but trouble trying to join the local one. Been trying for the last year.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Can you join clubs outside your area? I have had nothing but trouble trying to join the local one. Been trying for the last year.

Yes, same procedure as above except you will probably need to be nominated and seconded by existing members before a vote will take place ?

Thanks for that. I was led to thinking you had to stick to your own parish when it came to clubs. I will try some of the neighbouring areas and see what is happening.

I am a member of two clubs one where I live and a neighbouring one. One of them is a closed shop unless you know people in it the other is very open to new members. This is the procedure generally in most clubs. Definately contact the Secretries, the local gun shop will know who they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

maglite wrote: »
    dbar can i just enquire which club your in, i'm in your area and when i went looking the conditions i was asked for, well they were bordering on absurd

got the feeling the did't want new people,

maglite, not actually in any club at the mo. Are you looking for a rough shooting club or a target club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

WHen i was looking it was for rough shooting,

now have private permission on alot of land in the parish and that suits me fine,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

He's based in the Youghal area :) Keep it coming guys, many thanks for all the help so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

his best bet is to make a few friends localy and get shooting for next season. become part of the place, meet a few farmers and start from there.
    Bryan

Advertisement