Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me pls :) which ISP for playing online?

Options
  • 29-12-2007 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Broadband finaly is available in my area (Leap, West Cork), and i was wondering can you ping the following ips:

COD4- 62.21.96.28:28960

my MultiGaming :) va.net.pl 80.239.237.139:32960 or 85.236.100.228:29560

COD4 91.198.55.210:28933

COD4 91.198.55.210:28931

BF2 212.76.32.54:16567

BF2 193.33.34.11:16567

as i do need a really good ping (latency) for playing online and for downloading as well and i dont know which company should i choose for broadband. Can you please give me a name of company and package which are you pinging from?THX.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 _alex_

anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Smart/Magnet > Eircom == ESATBT == UTV

stay away from wireless broadband and satellite broadband if you want good pings.

what do u think about irishbroadband 6mb package? because unfortunately smart is not avilable in my area :/ any irishbroadband users here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yes. I am in the process of caneling my Irish Broadband due to gaming being impossible on their network because of packet loss.

thx for answer but, i just saw ur post "A little IBB experiment..." so are u on wireless? because im talking about DSL Home Pro 6 Mb/512Kbps 24:1 package. Do you have any info about this one??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Alex - since Leap exchange has just been enabled, you can be certain that the only fixed wire service available from there is delivered via the same DSL node via what is known as Bitstream service. So all providers, eircom included, will have exactly the same latency back to their core network.

What you are looking for is which operator has the best transit and/or peering connections to the networks which are hosting the gaming servers you want to connect to. Your best bet then is probably to try to get some trace routes to those networks to count how many hops the connections are taking and via which networks they are being routed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

_alex_ wrote: »
    thx for answer but, i just saw ur post "A little IBB experiment..." so are u on wireless? because im talking about DSL Home Pro 6 Mb/512Kbps 24:1 package. Do you have any info about this one??

I am on wireless but the results of my testing show the packet loss to be within the network - NOT from me to the high site. Best thing is to wait for a 6mb dsl user to respond and get some test results from them. Make sure there is a cancellation/trial period before your tied into a contract!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ComputerNerd

over the last 3 years i was with utv for 1 year, bt for 1 year and now eircom, love eircom BB

points to note....

have UTV fixed the ping problem?

have BT fixed the billing problems?

thx for info lads,
    happy new year :D

Advertisement