Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 4: First gameplay footage released!

Options
  • 29-12-2007 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭

I've been watching 1UP's coverage of Street fighter 4 very carefully and now that they've finally released some gameplay footage today I'm still unsure if its going to work. The animation style is really different to anything they have done before. It probably wont even be out here for another year on the PS3 so theres still a long way to go but what do the rest of you think?

You have to watch two or three minutes into this but its the only clip I could find so far. It'll probably be up on youtube in a few hours anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

The graphics look like some kind of sick joke. I'm hoping they'll come out and say "Ah we were just ****ing with you guys, here are the *real* character models!"

Still, it's a Street Fighter game so I'll keep an eye on things as they develop. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

A year from now it may very well rule. But personally I think they've gone to that well too many times now.

And ffs the "reviewers" are nothing more than overpaid undereducated manchildren with grossly sad humour and that annoying US accent that rises a few pitches at the end of each sentence. God how I wish I had their job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Streaming is very slow for me. It does look decent enough but the black ink effect seems to obscure a lot of the screen when it happens. I'm still lamenting the fact that it's no longer in2D :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Looks ok. The artwork is ok and the basic fighting is still the same. I never liked all those combo bars though. I know they were looking for a way to update the gameplay but I preferred the basic moves and manual combos. Also hoping it's closer to the sf2 style of fighting as I hated what they did in sf3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Well I'm sold. I think it looks great :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that ink effect that retro mentioned will get annoying and fast.

Eh I would've thought that ink effect is just something used in that video for transitioning between moves/parts of the footage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Agreed that ink effect doesn't look part of the game itself. Fell out of love with SF after SF2 Turbo but this looks great. Retr0 - the game is still 2D, looks it from the video and from what 1Up are saying:

"The difference with an Ultra combo is that instead of doing damage, it does big damage. This is also where SFIV momentarily strays from the strictly 2D perspective to kick off 3D fireworks. This is basically a cinematic, as the game never, ever wanders into the realm of 3D gameplay..."

Taken from the 2nd page of the 1UP link. Looks very promising so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Creature wrote: »
    Eh I would've thought that ink effect is just something used in that video for transitioning between moves/parts of the footage.

eh yeah, i don't think that ink effect was actually in game, I think that was just 1UPs way of transitioning between the various clips from the game.

Looks good alright, but i'll reserve judgement until I see some Footage of Akuma, never was a big Ryu or Ken fan. Plus as its only WIP footage, it can only get better, I'd like to see the environments being used more though, instead of just having the players rotate around an invisible circular arena in a psuedo 2D fashion. I really hope they bring back the bonus vehicle beat em up stages, used to love those :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As far as I know the ink effect is part of the game since it's been in all the trailers so far and screenshots. It was used in some of the transititions but it was definitely used in game as well.

The game may play in 2D but I rather the game used HD animated characters and backgrounds rather than polygons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The game may play in 2D but I rather the game used HD animated characters and backgrounds rather than polygons.

i agree. the art direction is great, but the fact that they've build 3d worlds and given us a 2d perspective means the characters look a bit strange, and also seem a bit disconnected from the world around them.

there's still some time in development left, but right now it does look great. i'm crap at fighting games, so SF was always one of my favs (easier to get into then VF or whatever). IV and 2HD are on my "must have" list for 2008

(also, see sig)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I don't think we'll ever see it to be honest. The time and cost of animating sprites of that quality with SF3 quality animations (or above) would be too high for a genre that isnt' that popular anymore.

The new HD remix is probably the best you could hope for, because they are tracing sprites so it is quicker to develop. A HD SF3 could happen, although that would take 3-5 times more effort (and they're still not creating new poses).

Rotating vectors is probably what you will see, and I think that looks useless for a Street Fighter type game. Odin Sphere uses this method along with more traditional methods.

True, still brings a tear to the eye. I'll just have to play Odin Sphere and other Atlus games to get my 2D kicks. Have to say that the animation is very impressive and love the big bulky characters, very Neo Geo.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As far as I know the ink effect is part of the game since it's been in all the trailers so far and screenshots.

It's only been in that one trailer that was released first. I can't recall any screenshots using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Looks fantastic apart from their faces. Seriosuly wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm really disappointed so far with the way it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks fantastic I think, cant wait for this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think it looks fantastic, are people forgetting how street fighter ex looked like when theyre dissing the cel shaded look?
    while id have loved to see something like 3S but its too much of a risk to spend alot of 2D games, when some tekken 5.5 will take the lead easily.
    Game is strictly 2d, camera may budge on certain finishers is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Have to say I'm really excited about this.

SFIII 3s for the original Xbox is still one of my most played games on the 360.
    And would agree completely with Palcebo about the look of it, as long as the control remains on 2 planes and the visual "2.5" D is not to jarring then it's win for me.

Now if I could only get a controller with a decent D-Pad for the 360...

• Advertisement

beat me too it, didnt really wanna post it with the lack of support aswell, friend was saying they looked tacky?
    i think it just looks ciredible, over the top, some blur effects etc look nice too

I think they look great, especially Blanka and Honda. Blanka looks much more like an animal/beast now as opposed to just looking retarded.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Agreed, Jimmy Blanka was some BAYSSSHT of a man as we'd say in Mayo :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A-Trak wrote: »
    Have to say I'm really excited about this.

SFIII 3s for the original Xbox is still one of my most played games on the 360.

Now if I could only get a controller with a decent D-Pad for the 360...

I didn't know that was playable on the 360?

Figured I might as well keep bumping this instead of maiking a new thread everytime there's news.

Anywho we've got some new gameplay videos and another new character this time.

Crimson Viper vs Abel

Guile vs Zangief

Ryu vs E. Honda

Multi-character exhibition

streetfighterivabelyo6.png

He kinda reminds me of Geese from Fatal fury. Though he seems to play like Alex from SF3, using a mixture of throws/grapples and rushdowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Praetorian wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed so far with the way it looks.

Why? - I think it looks fantastic. What more do you want from a game but fantastic gameplay... ...? Street Fighter never disappoints on gameplay. In fact, part of the reason why I became disinterested in game so much recently is due to developers 'over-concentrating' on graphics, and not gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Kevster wrote: »
    Why? - I think it looks fantastic.

Got to agree. I think it looks fantastic too. Can't wait for the release.

Guile vs Ryu

you mean zangief, not ryu. Revenge system look sinteresting, gonna be good.

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    Guile vs Ryu

you mean zangief, not ryu. Revenge system look sinteresting, gonna be good.

Whatever do you mean? I never said Ryu...<_<
    >_>

I'm really excited about this too. Can't wait to see what the rest of the lineup looks like.

Advertisement