Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Pressure Hot/Cold??

Options
  • 29-12-2007 5:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

just pumped up all 4 tyres (when they were cold), then went for a long drive and checked the pressures again, they had gone from 30psi to 36psi.
    Let some air out and brought them to 30/32psi again (tyres still warm) and i felt the car drove a lot better and more stable on twisty roads.
    So my question is, should you pump your tyres up to the recommended psi when they are hot or cold? (i always though cold)

Edit; i used a proper pressure gauge, not a forecourt one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Senna wrote: »
    should you pump your tyres up to the recommended psi when they are hot or cold? (i always though cold)
    Cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

theoretically you should fill your tyres at a defined outside temperature (I think it's 20 degrees) and an exact outside athmospheric pressure (dunno which one)

Failing that, cold will do just fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Senna wrote: »
    Let some air out and brought them to 30/32psi again (tyres still warm)
    Don't do this!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

esel wrote: »
    Don't do this!

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Recommended pressures are for cold tyres. Pressure will increase when tyres warm up, and drop when they cool again. By reducing the pressure when the tyre is warm, you will have underinflated tyres when they cool.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement