Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good fighter for ps2

Options
  • 29-12-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good 3d fighter for the ps2. I'm really looking for something that's good for 2-player, feels good and fast, and (excuse my superficiality but) a few cutesy anime-esque characters wouldn't hurt :D. Not too trashy though, I wan't a good game all round.

Basically, something that's exciting and dynamic to play, but with lasting playability.

Maybe I'm contradicting myself there...

A GOOD FIGHTER.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I always liked the Tekken series (T3 being the best IMO) but the Soul Calibur series is pretty good too and maybe a little faster than Tekken, but the best fighter is Street Fighter, it's just an awesome series of games, not 3D but very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

I've had street fighter II forever, and I have Guilty Gear X2 aswell so I'm sorted for 2d stuff. I loved tekken III but I never got it. How does tekken V compare? I was also kinda looking at Dead or Alive 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

soul calibur is possibly one of the best 3d fighting game around tekken or dead or alive series are pale in comparrison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I highly recommend Tekken 3, Tekken Tag, and Dead or Alive 2 ... excellent games, only bettered by Soul Calibur III (best game EVAR!)

DOA is probably the most immediate game for 2 player action.

Tekken is less rewarding in the short run, but way more fun when you get skilled, especially as you learn to juggle combos, throws and special moves. Tekken Tag is a nice twist, especially for 2 player games ... as you can swap or tag your characters mid fight.

Soul Calibur is maybe a little slow to get into, but really rewards you for time spent, with the best animation/graphics and effects of any 3d fighter on the PS/2. Also, the single player story mode is pretty good, as these things go.

You should be able to pick up any or all of these games second hand, for peanuts*. Go for it! :)

*not all shops accept peanuts as currency ... you may need cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Soul Calibur 3, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, Tekken 5.
    I'd say go for Soul Calibur. It's the easiest to pick up and play as well as most enjoyable out of the three.

• Advertisement

Alright I think I'll give Soul Calibur ago so. Should I get 2 or 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The people say 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

soul calibur 2.

If its a 2d fighter you should try guilty gear x2 #reload or the street fighter alpha anthology

The people say 3.

Yeah, I guess, but reviews on gamefaqs for soul calibur 2 seem to be higher than 3. Is there any reason in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 psychopatwick

Anyone know where to find tekken tag these days? ive tried all the preowned sections in Galway, really love that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

My personal favorite was Soul Calibur 2, seemed a bit more fluid and easyto pick up.

3 does have this really cool stratagy/combat single player mode. Plus there's a pretty deep character creation.

2 gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I think that tekken 2 and 3 were very fast paced fighting games that had that element of skill, Any other tekken game was slow and focused more on the graphics...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ross_Mahon wrote:
    I think that tekken 2 and 3 were very fast paced fighting games that had that element of skill, Any other tekken game was slow and focused more on the graphics... :(
    You've never seen high-level Tekken 4 then.

Bloody INSANE -- here's some tourney matches...

T5 is basically T3-with-walls, T6 looks to be horribly broken (think 90% combos off launch with that lovely "Bound" BS)

Oh forgot to say: Soul Calibur 2/Virtua Fighter 4:Evolution are the best 3D fighters.
    But give Tekken 5 or DoA2:Hardcore a try, too.
    They're all cheap, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

virtua fighter 4 evolution is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Soul Calibur!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

The Virtua Fighter series is by far the best 3D fighting series. It's easy to pick up and incredibly deep and difficult to master. Compared to VF, Tekken and Soul Calibur are just button bashers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Soul Calibur 3 gets my vote cause there's that great 2 player action and the single player "adventure" bit is enough to make you return to the game for some time. The character creation is fun too, but the usual having to go for ages and unlocking stuff (and there's a HELL of a lot of stuff including weapons and costume and classes) may annoy after 6 months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cardinal wrote: »
    The Virtua Fighter series is by far the best 3D fighting series. It's easy to pick up and incredibly deep and difficult to master. Compared to VF, Tekken and Soul Calibur are just button bashers.
    I take offense with this statement -- Tekken is horribly frustrating for button mashing, mostly because it relies on strings which still seem horribly convulted to me (and I mean even the 3-5hit strings). Plus, the window for them seems to be horribly small, too.
    And it has plenty of "Just-Frame" command moves (like EWGF -- FFS, just get rid of normal WGF already!).

SC & VF are actually quite similar though -- with simplified controls (that's good!), they make it a bit easier to get started & to throw out the move you want, when you want it (which generally is great for yomi).

Advertisement