Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inherited shotgun: how to transfer ownership?

Options
  • 29-12-2007 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I've inherited an old side by side double barrel from my late father. Had forgotten completely about it until the licence renewal notice came in. No other information on the gun excpet the name and an address of "Keegan" who must be the original gunsmith. It hasnt been fired in at least 10 years and has quite a bit of rust spots on it.
    How do i transfer ownership\licence of the gun to myself? Do i need to be a member of a gun club?
    Or if i decide to dispose of it how would i go about doing that?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Normally when you transfer ownership, you need a note from the owner that you are buying the firearm. In your case your Father's will should be enough. You then go to your local Garda Station and apply for a licence. You don't have to be a member of a gun club for a shotgun licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In the interim would it not be best for the OP to deposit the gun in the local dealers for storage just in case the Gardaí try to prosecute the OP for possession of an unlicensed firearm. I have heard of that happening in similar cases. I know in one case the Gardaí arrived out the same day as the death to collect the guns that had belonged to the deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's quite unusual for that to happen Bond. Generally the Gardai are sympathetic and helpful in such situations and will happily do the paperwork to regularise the process. Certainly when my brother inherited my Father's old Mauser .22, they were very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I agree it is unusual, but it can happen. I would expect them to wait maybe a week or so before approaching the family with a view to regularising the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

First of all my condalances.

Do things properly man and most likely you'll find the Gardai very inclined to grant you the licence. My advice would be the following :
    - bring the gun to your nearest dealer to store it for you, most will do that
    for about 50 euro a year and ask for a receipt; you're still the owner but
    you have no possession issues.
    - go to your local station and explain the situation to the local firearms chap
    or the sergeant depending on the local setup; you having put the gun in
    proper storage is one good mark on your cards. ( the receipt is your proof )
    - follow up on their advice in relation to obtaining landowners permissions etc
    etc,... if you'd happen to be a farmer yourself you don't even need this as
    you shoot your own land
    - be prepared for a couple of weeks waiting for your licence to come through

All in all if you're deemed to be a suitable person to hold a firearm there should be no problem to legalise your ownership.

• Advertisement
Advertisement