Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has your music taste changed over the years?

Options
  • 29-12-2007 3:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I first got into electronic music a little over 10 years ago. Before that I was into rock, grunge and some metal, but really as soon as I started to listen to dance music, that all fell by the wayside and it's been pretty much nothing else since. Many people will say "I like all types of music" and have a very wide range of styles they will listen to - but my tastes have been a whole lot less broad, for me it really has been about 99% electronica for the last 10 years - I listen to almost nothing else.

All the way along, the vast majority of music I listen to would always be House and its varients. At first it was funky house all the way, I quickly started listening to a few other styles like deep, progressive and even hard house a little (for my sins). Tech house I think has been the one style that has stayed with me all the way through as a clear favourite. I love most of the chunky deep or dirty styles - tribal especially, and I'd even dig a little techno now and again.

At first I hated the whole electro thing coming in, but very soon changed my mind and got really into it for a good while. The most recent change I've had is a serous liking for minimal right now. I love to mix with it and find myself listening to some really way out crazy stuff that only a few years ago I really would have absolutely hated!

How have your music tastes changed over the years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Stone Roses/Mondays etc got me into dance music. Initally some regular house, then loved the whole French house thing back a few years ago, all the Roule stuff etc. Got into my techno then, and love the mnml.

Also like my bit old skool hip hop, and good cut up types like Yoda, Cut Chemist etc.

V condensed post right there lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

Interesting thread. I got into electronic music around 18 years ago. I initially started listening to pirate radio, Mark Kavanagh on DLR, and Dirk Montage (I can't remember the name of the station). I got into The Prodigy initially, "Experience" was the first vinyl record I ever bought, I didn't even have a record player at the time, I had to bring it around to a friend's house to listen to it! I also liked bands like Utah Saints, The KLF, Dream Frequency, Altern 8, and I was into Technotronic too (I was only 13 at the time!). I started to go to clubs like Olympic, Sides and the Asylum, and got into the melodic piano house, progressive house and trance which were popular in the clubs at the time. At the time, I pretty much only had an ear for electronic music. By 1995-1996, I was really into Sasha & John Digweed, I much preferred the house side of what they did. By 1996, I was getting pretty bored of progressive house, I just wasn't feeling the music anymore. There were two things that really influenced what I like today. The first was seeing Thomas Bangalter from Daft Punk play at a boat party in Dublin in 1996. It was ironic, as I had actually wanted to see Sasha and Blue Amazon who were playing in the System, but myself and my two friends were refused admission, so we went to the Soma boat party instead. It completely changed my taste, within two months I had lost all interest in progressive house, I wanted to listen to music with more of a soul and funk element. I bought "Homework" by Daft Punk and it had a profound influence on me. By 1996 I was getting into the more soulful side of electronic music, buying records on labels like Guidance, MAW, King Street Sounds, Yellorange, JBO, Deep Dish Records and the like. Then in 1997 I saw Masters at Work live. That was it for me, it was souful electronic music which I loved, and I've bought records in that style ever since. But buying those records made me want to explore lots of other styles of music, today I listen to soul, rock, funk, R&B, hip hop, grunge, and disco, as well as house, techno and drum & Bass.

I suppose I look upon it as a learning experience, I'm 30 now and I'm still learning more about the music everyday. I still hear records from the 1980's and 1990's that blow me away. Recently I got into harder sounds again, I started to listen to sets by Laurent Garnier, Rob Hood, and Ricardo Villalobos which really inspired me, but the style of music I love to play at home on my turntables is soulful house, disco, and funk. I look back on some of the earlier electronic music I initially liked, but I don't really have any feelings toward the progressive house and trance, I really feel that I started to get into the music I really loved when I was around 19 or 20, and it's been a real journey since then. I do think it's really, really important though for young DJ's to expose themselves to music of all styles. I think listening to electronic music all the time doesn't really develop your appreciation for the other genres which are also really good, and I think you become a better DJ the more music you're exposed to. If you listen to someone like Laurent Garnier, you'll hear Deep House, Techno, funk, soul, Disco, progressive house and trance in the same set. I also think it's important for younger DJ's to listen to the "classics" of whatever genre they like, track them down, and listen to sets from the DJ legends of their genre. But I still find myself inspired everyday by new music. While he's not necessarily new, I think that Trentemoller is one of the most exciting new artists of the past couple of year, others I would really like are Ame and Dixon, Carl Craig, Lindstrum and Prins Thomas, Jerome Sydenham, Moodymann, Blaze, MAW, Quentin Harris, Joe Claussell and Tony Humphries. For me anyway, the journey gets more exciting every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

As embarassing as it is, I first started listening to trance music at first. I didn't have the internet or anything so I used to just get Euphoria albums and stuff like that. I got bored of it after a while though and eventually got my hands on some Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and stuff like that. After that I just started tracking down other stuff that people said was good and thats mainly what I do now.

I've never seriously got myself into techno, I like some tracks and artists but overall not really. I used to hate house music but I enjoy minimal and progressive stuff (mainly because of Sasha's 2003 creamfields set). I like drum and bass, at least, I like the idea of it. Theres a lot of bollacks associated with that genre though. Always liked electro, how could you not? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Born in 86, in truth I didnt become interested in any genre until about 1999 (although I do have a vague memory of singing the chorus of Put Em Under Pressure with my cousins on a scorching day in 1990, but thats a different story :p A song like that should be somehow genetically implanted into every newborn babyin Ireland :) )

Late 90s I liked the Oasis and Blur tunes that would be on the radio. Was big into the Will Smith stuff that was prominent around 96-99, Miami, Wild West, all that craic. Probably what cemented my hip hop interest was the singles from Dr Dres 2001 album released in 1999. Still Dre, Next Episode, Forgot About Dre, despite her objections id try to bang them out of the oul ones stereo as we drove around, me 13 and all. 2000/01 brought new Eminem stuff, D12, MOP Ante Up, and along with that we got sky digital in 2000, so Id a million and one channels to hear rap on. Later I got bored with the new stuff. Only past artist most of the channels played reg was Tuapc. Id see the extremely rare very occasional play of a Snoop, Dre, Nas, Biggie or Wu Tang tune from 1992-95 and Id go get the albums, and they were lethal, lyrically and beat wise uperiour to the increasing cack that was appearing post 2000.

As for dance, I kicked of with....yep...I confess... BLEEDIN SCHOOUTER :D Ah come on, born 86, man of my time and all :p Cant recall liking any dance at all until Scooter brought out Logical Song in (iirc) summer of 2001. We tore the kiddies disco dancefloors apart when it came on :D Even after that until I was about 17 Scooter was the only dance artists who I thought everything they made was legend (tbh at the time the only other dance tune i recall liking was Maniac and Jan Waynes Because the Night. And ya know what, I still like those two, so fcuk yis :p ). I got their "Singles 1994-2002" album off a mate. Logical Song, Posse, How Much is the Fish, Let Me Be Your Valentine, Nessaja......legends :D With enough drink in me Id still dance to Posse and the Fish.

Then I summer of 04 still 17 went to *dont mention here banned music yoke** * (** yoke being a rather approproiate word :) ) Wasnt even into dance, wandered into the dance arena drunk as fcuk trying to pull when some bird...eh... ahem, introduced me to the dance scene. Half an hour later Im dancing around to the Madchester Experience tribute band as if I am in the Hacienda in 1989. That weekend I saw Faithless, Darren Emerson, The Chems and, last but by fa most certainly not least, Felix the Housecat tearing the ****ing roof off on the Sunday evening. I had heard Born Slippy when I had seen Trainspotting a while back, it was only in a warehouse with thousands of peoples hands in the air ad me on a mad oneI realised "jesus christ, this is ****ing brilliant".

Nowadays I like a bit of electronica, trance, 90s mainland eurodance (some cheese, but there is own brand cheese and quality semi cheese :) ) and house (when I was 14 I thought house was gayer than San Fran. But then again the only house Id heard was cack like You`re a Superstar :( ). And beer/vodka nearly always my weapon of choice, as it generally always has been bar the odd rave or DJ set (or when Ive had a hard week and feel chronically depressed :) )

As for hip hop, 90% of the stuff I give a regular listen to in the iPod is the exact same stuff I was listening to 6 or 7 years ago. Apart from the odd bright showing there is fcuk all worth even downloading, let alone buying. Crunk is good for a club but come on, making entire albums with every tune crunk and lyrics straying no further than lyrics all containing either "drunk" "crunk" "weed" "gat" "henney/cris" or boasting about how much "x*" they can pop in "da club". The intelligent lyricism is long gone.

*: Having said that, In Da Club by 50, Lets Get High by Dre and X by Xzibit are all quality. It just gets tiresome if every crunk song revolves entirely around henney, weed and yoke lyrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Started off listening to my older bro's Prodigy albums and some random "jungle" (as it was called back then:p)
    Took a massive step backwards after than and started listening to (*cringe*) happy hardcore, but went off that sharpish enough and moved on to Carl Cox, Underworld, Leftfield etc...
    Around 96-98 was dominated by pretty much anything that Mark Kavanagh played on his weekly Clubmix show on Radio Ireland, he was without a doubt one of the biggest influences in my musical tastes back then.
    From then on it was trade style hard house from the likes of Ian M, Mark Kavanagh, Steve Thomas, Pete Wardman. In 2000 I got into the kind of stuff that BK was playing.
    I guess the dance music that I've consistently been into over the years has been hard house, and more recently hard nrg. (think I'm pretty much the only person in my group of friends who still loves the hard stuff:o)

I like pretty much everything though, and am always keen to hear new house, techno, breaks, D&B or electro...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

grew up on reggae, jazz-fusion and punk, first paid attention to electronic music with the likes of front 242 and the belgian hoover techno tunes that used to be on dutch radio around 1990, after which a cousin in england used to post me over tapes of london pirates and what not... the likes of colin dale, elliot eastwick, carl cox, grooverider, fabio, ltj bukem, dave angel... then there was a gap of a couple of years when the tapes stopped coming at the end of which i picked up a copy of "angel" by goldie (specifically the peshay "back from 'nam" remix) and the direction that uk hardcore had taken after those early days (and after i'd stopped paying attention) just floored me, lush soundscapes, deep sub bass, rolling breaks, strings, vocals and angry evil bass noises... started buying drum and bass from then on, all the old photek and source direct stuff...

many thousands of records later, and many irate neighbours later, i'm finding myself playing 99% drum and bass, but i'm branching out slowly into techno (the full spectrum from chris mccormack to carl craig) and dubstep, and i've always kept a vague eye on hip hop and jazz too... loved my uk garage too but it was fierce hard to get your hands on it over here so i have feck all records :(

suppose the dawn of dubstep and my growing realisation that techno isn't ALL clanky repetitive drug noise are the biggest changes to my music taste... listen to a lot less house too, but then house lost all interest for me after everyone stopped playing naked music records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Hmm,

Well I was always into the electronic element of music as opposed to screaming guitars, adored erasure, Eurithmics, new order type stuff among other things...

In school I was a prodigy fanatic, happy hardcore (gasp!), ultrasonic 4th dimension, which I used to play at school discos :D

First record I bought was Nikolai - ready to flow, when I won vouchers for abbey on sunset I think it was.

When I started playing in clubs my taste changed to more "grown up" music, happy hardcore and basically anything over 140 bpm or a speeded up 80's vocal went out the window.. I was only 17 though :p

Funky house, trance, techno (to some degree), a bit of hard house (trade styleeee!) and progressive were the order of the day ... I'd always manage to cheeze up a gig with mixing something nuts like Cindy Lauper and terry lee brown jnr's version of for an angel on the fly :)

As music changed i guess I followed

These days ... well I try to cross all barriers from minimal / tech / disco-punk / progressive / industrial / and beyond, there's very little I wont of play at some stage - educate but not alienate is my motto.

The way I see it ... there's room for it all, so long as the doors are open and the night is young and people have the energy to cheer it on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

0-10 = usual rubbish kids listen to i suppose
    11-13 = happy hardcore nonsense
    14-16 = indie
    then at 16 i went to the first homelands over here and orbital blew me away so i started getting back into the dance music

nowadays i listen to mainly indie and rock, dont really listen to dance music any more but DO love some electronic stuff

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

i'm branching out slowly into techno (the full spectrum from chris mccormack to carl craig)

Steve, just out of interest I went searching to see what Chris McCormick and Carl Craig were all about. I had heard the names before but not familiar with their stuff. However I was so so happy to stumble upon a tune that I have no heard in a long time "Theo Parrish - Falling Up (Carl Craig Remix)". I vividly remember it from a party I went to about 2 years ago and always loved it, but never knew the name! So thanks a mil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

chris mccormack gave up producing a year or 2 ago didnt he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ah yes the change I though would never come. Such youthful ignorance. Heres my interest evolution from 1995 onwards.

In 1995 me like 1980's pop, euro techno, X MIX, rave, gabber (Dave Angel, Marusha, Ravers Nature, Neophyte, Scott brown etc)
    In 2000 me like same as above + Kate Bush, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Aphex Twin
    In 2007 me like same as above + Led Z, J Hendrix, The Doors, FSOL, Pink Floyd.

Helix wrote: »
    chris mccormack gave up producing a year or 2 ago didnt he?

he came back though

bitchez alwase cum back.

(although i know feck all about him - i figured the alliterative effect of having his name juxtaposed with carl craigs would have been a nice touch, but as i said i know feck all about techno)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 philjd26

yeah

never thought about my journey in taste,but here goes..
    got good exposure to electronic music as a kid was growing up when people wher going around in two tone jeans, champion tops, and fisher man hats....
    asylum, sides and mansion house is what people were talkin about...and my sister was one of these,she was big on dance music and the likes of technotronic,prodigy,altern8 was the sound...which i took an instant liking to at the age of 10-11, however on the other hand my brothers who were musicians drum and bass players were listening to alot of funky seventies stuff... kinda a like skin movie stuff but alot better ,they listened to likes of stanley clake, maynard ferguson...serious ****inb musicians..however this didnt really interest me as i didnt understand and most importantly wasnt cool...

I got my first live rave tape of carl cox, dream frequence, kenny ken and grooverider in belfast and that was it for me! the sound of the crowd roaring as tune came in ,the whistles going to the music, the ****ing lauguage out of the mc..(edit: i definitly in ****ing moscow cause you people out there are rushing)....i just grabbed my imagination and wanted to be part of it....

anyway live asylum n anchester raves were around which were deadly, i think gerne woulds be classic dance/transce type of stuff....

i was just listening to what was bein played on the radio at the time which was the usual.....however a friend of mine whos bro was going to sides and listen to billy scrurrie got his hands on a cd that changed my sound...it was dave morales live mix in new york, it blew the be jesus out o me..i woild have it difficult to stick it on at a party as it sounded a bit cheesy to the ear of the time.it had funky rythm and lush vocals which put in good humour, it also caught the ear of my bros,as musicians use to take the piss out of rave actaully respected what was bein done which made me take note..

at time it wasnt something i would stick on as it would sound cheesy to the ear at the time however, as jamiroquai and brand new heavies became popular as
    time went on the sound became more aceptable....i started getting cd from frankie knuckles,maw, mostly got the ministry of sessions(the old ones)
    then i came acrsoss sasha and john digweed reinnassance wow that was me listening to progressive for a few year....still listen to progressive,der type o tunes that make the hair on your neck stand up,which i still n every once in a while...
    now i listen to everything in house mostly deep which has to be said is the most solid sound there is dance music it can be played anywher and always soundss great ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Well am 37 now so have been "around the block" a bit. Was into Soulful groove music in the mid 80's until I heard D-Mob's We call it Acieed and S-Express "Theme from S-Express. Thus began a love of Electronic Dance music that has lasted until today. My favourite types would be anything Soul, Jazz or latin based so the likes of Masters at Work, David Morales, Miguel Migs or Andy Caldwell would be DJ's I'd have time for. I'm currently listening to a lot of stuff from the 70's and 80's, mixes by Larry Levan and Tony Humphries, and rediscovering the genre of Disco, possibly the most misrepresented on the planet. The salsoul label in particular has some wonderful nuggets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Ok here goes.....

Like prefabsprouter im one of the older people on this forum :o:D and certainly my music taste has changed considerably over the years since i was a child listening to my uncle playing Bowie, T-Rex,Pink Floyd, The Doors,etc (i still love that music though) i can just about remember punk and disco although i always preferred Disco and i still lover Disco, in the early 80's i remember listening to stuff like The Jam and The Specials,etc and thought it was brilliant, the 1980's actually was very good for music and i got big into the New Romantic scene,my fav band of the 80's were Simple Minds and fav song of the 80's is dont you forget about me a classic to this day.

Around 87 i started getting into Metal and was big into it for a year or two, around late 89 i started taking an interest in some of the Acid House tunage being played, Technotronic were probably the first outfit to get me interested i never forget hearing pump up the jam, i soon began to lose interest in the metal scene and get into the Acid House sound and also the Madchester sound which was also a massive influence for me.

Come 1990 and Madchester was massive,even in Dublin at that time a small enough city compared to today it was getting big, i remember going to Sides and hearing the Happy Mondays played alongside The Stone Roses and Charlatans and then mixed in with Acid House and other stuff, i was blown away by all this and got heavily into the whole scene.

Then i went to London for a long weekend and went to a Rave playing Acid House and Bleep, i took my first ecstasy tablet a New Yorker:D and that was my life changed forever,from there on in i became somewhat obsessed with the Rave scene, the music and the whole culture behind it, i actually lost interest in almost everything else i was into for years it all but took over my life, come 91/92 it was all about Rave/Hardcore, i used to live in London in 1991 but unfortunately worked most weekends but on the rare weekend i got off id go raving,came back to Dublin late 91 i told all my mates about London and they were fascinated, i went to Sides almost every week in 92 and id also go elsewhere as well but Sides was what it was all about back then, more House orientated but definitely in 91/92 i was more into Rave/Hardcore,Sides though a that time was the best club in Ireland, in fact Sides was the best ever club in this country hands down IMO and ive been to most of them,

1993/94 i got more into House and Techno and Trance also in 94 early Happy Hardcore was excellent but it got too cheesy in 1995,i actually loved Jungle but hated the vibe at Jungle raves and avoided going to them until i went to see Goldie/Metalheadz in the Point in 1996 and it was only half full but i was blown away, in fact that was one of the best weekends ive ever had, seen Carl Cox and Orbital on the Friday also in the point,someone else on the Saturday and Goldie on the Sunday, i didn't go home for about 6 days!!!!!

From about 1997 to 1999 i became a Techno head but not your stereotypical train spotter geek but i was big into the Techno sound then,but those muppets who used to be train spotters used to annoy the fcuk out of me, proper geeks, mammys boys and girls from D4 and the likes although some of them were actually sound.

Since the millennium really despite still being massively into dance music in general (anyone remember big beat and all that Fatboy Slim shizzle) i became a bit disillusioned with the whole scene, the whole vibe wasn't the same,and asides from a handful of tunes every year there wasn't one particular scene i was into although House music was and still is my first love from 1987 to 1994,although Basement Jaxx always blew me away and still do, but thesedays i like most styles but i absolutely cannot stand stuff like minimal and hard house especially minimal, at least @ hard house clubs there's a bit of atmosphere and energy in the music even if the music is too fast.

So today id still be into funky house and garage and some electro house although that's now getting too trancy, progressive house today from what ive heard is as dull as dishwater as is a lot of trance, there is some brilliant breakbeat doing the rounds right now which im really digging, ive always liked breakbeat anyway.

Id like to see more breakbeat type house with pianos for 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BillyoftheBeast

Zascar wrote: »
    I first got into electronic music a little over 10 years ago. Before that I was into rock, grunge and some metal, but really as soon as I started to listen to dance music, that all fell by the wayside and it's been pretty much nothing else since. Many people will say "I like all types of music" and have a very wide range of styles they will listen to - but my tastes have been a whole lot less broad, for me it really has been about 99% electronica for the last 10 years - I listen to almost nothing else.

All the way along, the vast majority of music I listen to would always be House and its varients. At first it was funky house all the way, I quickly started listening to a few other styles like deep, progressive and even hard house a little (for my sins). Tech house I think has been the one style that has stayed with me all the way through as a clear favourite. I love most of the chunky deep or dirty styles - tribal especially, and I'd even dig a little techno now and again.

At first I hated the whole electro thing coming in, but very soon changed my mind and got really into it for a good while. The most recent change I've had is a serous liking for minimal right now. I love to mix with it and find myself listening to some really way out crazy stuff that only a few years ago I really would have absolutely hated!

How have your music tastes changed over the years?
    For a guy thats slated other djs you have the worst taste in music. Funky house to electro minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

For a guy thats slated other djs you have the worst taste in music. Funky house to electro minimal.

Surely taste is subjective though. Apart from trance and many of it's variants! :p

Zascar wrote: »
    Steve, just out of interest I went searching to see what Chris McCormick and Carl Craig were all about. I had heard the names before but not familiar with their stuff. However I was so so happy to stumble upon a tune that I have no heard in a long time "Theo Parrish - Falling Up (Carl Craig Remix)". I vividly remember it from a party I went to about 2 years ago and always loved it, but never knew the name! So thanks a mil!

Carl Craig is a god.

Check out his albums "landcruising" and "more songs about food and revolutionary art"

"At Les" is still to this day the probably the pinnacle of electronic dance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Being a love child of the late 60's I grew up with parents who had a very eclectic taste in music. Both my parents were mods who hooned around Dublin in the 60's on Vespas and Heinkel scooters. I grew up listening to The Small Faces, The Kinks, The Who and such. My ol' lady was big into the Northern Soul scene and I have vivid memories of her playing her old records and dancing around the house whizzing on uppers.

My ol' man being a journo got to interview most of the big name musicians when they visited Dublin. He still boasts about getting exclusive interviews with both The Rolling Stones and The Beatles when they visited Dublin. He would always remind me how Paul McCartney was my third cousin so I guess you could say I had music introduced to me from an early age.

My recollection of the 70's was mostly the old mod records my parents had hanging around the house along with records by likes of The Boomtown Rats. I still remember listening to some of their tunes and jumping up and down on the couch like some fruit loop who had just necked his ol' ladies pills thinking they were candy. Back then uppers were the in thing and every bored housewife had a little helping hand to get her through the day until the old man fronted up.

In the early 80's I got into artists like The Cars, Paul Newman, The Romantics and various New Wave bands such as ABC, Bow Wow Wow, Soft Cell, Yazoo and lots of others. By the mid 80's I was getting into Bauhaus, The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Joy Division Kraftwerk and Yello. Although most of the music I was leaning towards was very much geared towards the synthesizer.

Towards the end of the 80's I was getting into some of the early house music that was appearing in clubs in London. Tunes such as Jack Your Body, The House That Jack Built, Doctoring the House and Pump up the Volume where the type of tunes I was shaking my ass to in the Wag Club and the Empire in Leicester Square.

Around 1988 I met Seal and lived with him in Kilburn for 6 or 7 months. We shared a room together (before he made it with Killer) and I was exposed to a whole new world of music. We would regularly go to the Camden Palace and it was around this time that the whole Acid House scene kicked off. I necked my first pill in Camden Palace in 1988 and haven't looked back since.

I was visiting Dublin frequently and dropping bootleg tapes all over the place. Even though there weren't many places playing acid house in Dublin the bootleg tapes where being snapped up left right and center. I had blokes standing on corners on O'Connell Street and the Ha'penny Bridge knocking out the tapes. They were heady times alright.

Musically my tastes where getting a lot more sophisticated and I was gearing towards the more 'intelligent' sounds being produced on 303 and 808 machines. Around that time my brother started DJ'ing and he would pull a big crowd in McGonagles for his blend of beats and tweaks.

I have pretty much stayed with house and gone through various stages of being into progressive, funky deep house and the sounds that were coming out of Chicago and Detroit at the time. During the later part of the 1990's I went to live in San Francisco and was heavily inspired by DJ's such as Miguel Migs, Kaskade and Mark Farina. I got to meet them all through my involvement with the DNA Lounge where my brother had a Saturday night residency.

So basically that is it as far as electronica goes. Obviously there is a sh!t load of other styles of music that I haven't even mentioned but I reckon this is almost turning into my memoirs. If there is any eager young hot shot writer who wants to write the story about the dance music scene in Ireland in the 1990's I can be bought with a plane flight to Dublin and a few free pints <lulz>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

early to mid 90's I listened to rave stuff, Prodigy, N-Trance, Altern 8, The Shamen etc. Then I started listening to Hardcore stuff, loved Thunderdome stuff...god when I listen to that stuff now I can't see what I liked in it (and I was too young to get my hands on drugs :D ).

Mid 90's I also listened to The 4th Dimension, remember the Nutter??

Late 90's I listened to quite cheesy stuff, Cream, Promo International etc.

In the past 5 years I am big into Ambient stuff like Stars of the Lid, Windy & Carl and Brian Eno etc but since this is the dance music thread I won't go on about that here.

Anyway, today I still listen to the Prodigy, Cox, Daft Punk, James Holden etc but I am listening to a lot of stuff from DJs on boards lately, Giles-K, Johnny Rave, Colly, LTC, Micky Linick & DJ Tonic, all varied styles but I'm enjoyin' it all lads.

I don't think I will be ever going back to the likes of Charlie Lownoise & Mental Theo or DJ Gizmo ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

0-10 mainly rock/"rap"/cheese music - GNR, Slade (!), MC Hammer, Technotronic! 2 Unlimited

11-14 Rock/Indie/dance/rap - Prodigy, Acen, Thunderdome (lol), Nirvana, Stone Roses, FSOL (Bizarrely) The Orb, Metallica, NWA, Snoop

15-18(band phase) Mainly Big Beat/Rock/Indie/Punky/Dub stuff, Fatboy, Chemicals Prodigy, Midfield General, Armand Van Helden, Therapy, NOFX, Rancid

19-20 - Trance, 1st set of decks, doing yokes etc.... Gouryella, Binary Finary, PUSH etc

20-23 Mainly prog house, Sasha, Digweed, Danny Howells etc

23-24 Mainly Tech house /Techno, back into rock music aswell and some electronica (boards, aphex etc)

24-26 Break from Dance music completely

27 Back into things, mainly tech housey, minimal stuff lately.....

Whats next for me?

Dubstep?

lol

Advertisement