Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my graphics card fecked?

Options
  • 29-12-2007 3:52pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an Nvidia 6800GTO and as of yesterday everything has got blotchy with strange colours and shapes while both playing games and in Windows. I have uploaded a video which shows it happening, but am just wondering if it is the graphics card for sure.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8v0xun8tjij

As of the moment my screen goes black every 10 seconds or so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I didn't watch the video, but a similar sounding thing happened to me with my very old GeForce card, graphics kept getting randomly garbled and eventually windows would keep on restarting every time it booted, and it was the card itself which was malfunctioning. Did the fan on your card ever stop working and did the card overheat? The reason mine got fecked was that the fan broke and was only semi functioning for months. I temporarily fixed the problem by putting a new fan on the card, but that didn't work for long. Replacing it with another graphics card fixed the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

Is the fan running on the card?Is the heatsink clogged with dust?Did you fit another card near the graphics card?This could be a case of overheating and I would try to ensure maximum cooling to see if the symptoms abate.Also remove and reseat the card.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I regularly dust out my PC and the temp monitor is normal as is the fan RPM. I haven't reseated the card yet, but i'll give it a go now.

Ironically I had decided to get a new 8800gt before Christmas but couldn't find the one I wanted in stock anywhere. Maybe my old card is trying to get back at me for wanting to upgrade :rolleyes:.

At least tho' JC 2K3's symptoms sound the same which looks like the graphics card rather than any other component.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

So even after a reseat, the problem still remains, so i've gone and ordered an asustek 8800gt from overclockers.co.uk for about €255 all in which also comes with COH opposing fronts. I had hoped to get one from elara.ie but they have none in stock and keep changing the estimated in stock date.

Thanks for your help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

delly wrote: »
    So even after a reseat, the problem still remains, so i've gone and ordered an asustek 8800gt from overclockers.co.uk for about €255 all in which also comes with COH opposing fronts. I had hoped to get one from elara.ie but they have none in stock and keep changing the estimated in stock date.

Thanks for your help folks.
    have you tried reinstalling/updaing the drivers?

i had that issue with cs and reinstalling the drivers helped it

• Advertisement

Yeah, drivers were updated but alas did no good.

Advertisement