Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orange Box - A question

Options
  • 29-12-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Right, I just bought the Orange Box for the PC for €30 in GAME today as I'm getting a new PC in February and I want to play that then. However, I have a MacBook at the moment and I've been told that it should work on it.

I've been out of the Pc gaming loop for a while now and I want to know if I can install the game on both machines. I was thinking that maybe I am only allowed to install it on one as Valve are probably clamping down on Piracy and stuff.

Erm, yeah....so should I install it on both systems or just wait until I get the pc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can install it on as many machines as you like - it is tied to your Steam account. You can only log in on one at a time, and thus can only play on one at a time.

Assuming you're running Windows on the Macbook here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Yeah bootcamp on Macbook. I should have said that before.

Cool. That's good news. Thanks for that.

/goes off to install Half Life 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the cd key is tied to your steam account. so if you register the orange box with your steam account in practice you can install your games on an infinite amount of pc's, but only allowed play when you log into your account.

macbook will struggle with the orange box at any way decent graphics level.

Cremo wrote: »

macbook will struggle with the orange box at any way decent graphics level.

HL2 is more than playable. Unfortunately I forgot that I didn't have that much room on my Windows partition so I can't try out Portal or Team Fortress :( I'll just have to wait until I get the computer then anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I finished Portal on the Ps3 yesterday.. excellent game.... In fact it worth completing just for the song at the end :D Very interesting.. no weapons so when you need to beat something that fires at you... you need to use your portals to use its own weapons against itself... excellent stuff.... I like cake :D

Started hl2 later... i finished it and ep1 on the PC so replaying on the PS3 now.

• Advertisement

is it playable in directx 9 though, i know it is playable but i think you have to make it look like muck to play it at any decent frame rate.

huh? Half life 2 etc has been out long before directx10 or even the dx10 8800 series of cards from Nvidia came out. 2004 i believe.
    Lets put it this way, i do not have vista on my machine, so that means i have not got dx10. I do have an 8800GTS but since im not running dx10 it does not matter in this case.
    Game looks perfectly fine and would play on a much lower spec system with lower spec card just as well. We are not talking about crysis here, its only half life 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Should work fine with DX8.1

My advice would be to use Crossover and install it under Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think he means is it playable on the OP's macbook with DX9 enabled. Back when HL2 came out you could get better framerates by dropping back to DX8 or DX7 modes but they tend to make it look like ass.

Saruman wrote: »
    huh? Half life 2 etc has been out long before directx10 or even the dx10 8800 series of cards from Nvidia came out. 2004 i believe.
    Lets put it this way, i do not have vista on my machine, so that means i have not got dx10. I do have an 8800GTS but since im not running dx10 it does not matter in this case.
    Game looks perfectly fine and would play on a much lower spec system with lower spec card just as well. We are not talking about crysis here, its only half life 2.
    and we're talking about a non dedicated graphics card here which are fine for the likes of COD2 etc. just i don't see HL2 running at > 30 fps at directx9 here.

i must try it on my own macbook when i've time.

• Advertisement

Oh he is talking about a macbook? Then i have no idea, never tried emulating windows games on a mac before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think I will have to buy the orange box. Played Team Fortress 2 yesterday, great fun! Portal looks good too as well.

Saruman wrote: »
    Oh he is talking about a macbook? Then i have no idea, never tried emulating windows games on a mac before.

I ain't emulating anything. Windows is running native on the Macbook.

As for DirectX 9 etc., I'll be completely honest and say I don't have a clue.

Advertisement