Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTT ban from PI

Options
  • 29-12-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭

Banned for this? :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055205814

Thread was originally in PI btw.

Seriously, I've seen really bad posts in PI get away with a warning. At least I didn't make the league of bastards. I post in PI regularly, and feel this ban was definitely not deserved. Sure, it's only for a week, but it's my first ban ever, and I don't like the idea of such a crummy ban on record.

Not your ornery onager

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Heh, those replies were quite teh funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Ah thats harsh considering there were other funny replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

Yeah, they were funny, but it was in PI. If you post there as much you say you do, you know how strict it is.

Yes, the OP shouldn't of put it there. Obviously! But the rules of PI are there, regaerdless of topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

TheGooner wrote: »
    Ah thats harsh considering there were other funny replies.
    the rest of them got banned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Cremo wrote: »
    the rest of them got banned too.

Ah well then.

But seeing as it was going to be moved the Mod could have been a little lenient.

Anyways OP chalk it up to experience and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I wasn't banned and my comment was, perhaps, the funniest of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Reason seems pretty straight forward:
    To all the other posters, I am disgusted with you. Just because this isn't a PI doesn't mean you should pull the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jimbo78 wrote: »
    I wasn't banned and my comment was, perhaps, the funniest of the lot
    that wasn't funny as you were actually being helpful, it would of saved the OP from embrarassing himself/herself.

Yes, thats it. I was trying to be helpful ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

TBH, OP was looking for help, and had acknowledged it might be the wrong forum. You should know since you post there how strict PI is on this stuff. 1 week ban seems fair to me

(now if you'd waited till after it was moved........... :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

esel wrote: »
    it's my first ban ever

So you got your ban cherry popped? Congrats ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Itys fairly clear. Dudara gave a straighforward explanation of why and didn't single anyone out.

Jimbo78: maybe dudara missed it because it wasnt funny. Would you like me to ask the mod to go back and ban your for the week..fairs fair like?

Marksie wrote: »
    Itys fairly clear. Dudara gave a straighforward explanation of why and didn't single anyone out.

Jimbo78: maybe dudara missed it because it wasnt funny. Would you like me to ask the mod to go back and ban your for the week..fairs fair like?

Hmmm. No thanks Marksie. I'm good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

OTT.

It was clearly not a PI (unlike the obvious trolls that pop up there from time to time, but require serious treatment/responses due to the nature of the forum.)

Should have been moved and purged, as I see it, would have taken all of a minute, and considerably less time than it took to ban all those users.

Said users for their part should have reported the bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Take up a Night Course. lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If the thread didnt belong in PI, why did the mod ban the users and then move it to another forum, while keeping the offending comments intact? :confused:

Also why do people who get warned not to step out of line by some mods in PI, get told to have a nice day? Do those who dont get warned not deserve to be told have a nice day?? :confused: x2

I do not really need answers to either questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Politics. It's all politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cleaning the thread of all the idiotic replies and moving it would have been one option.

However, it was obvious that posters jumped on the band wagon to have fun in a thread in PI, simply because it was clear that it was in the wrong forum. It was as if they felt that the normal order in PI could be ignored simply due to the fact that Gubby made an error in posting her thread there.

If you felt that the ban was unfair, then I will remind you that you should have restrained yourselves.

Please remind me or one of the other mods to lift the ban one week after the ban date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Honestly guys, while I've been speaking up against bans that I've deemed to be unfair a lot, I don't think this is entirely unfair. PI is pretty much zero tolerance, so any piss-taking that happens on the forum (Doesn't matter if the thread is going to be moved, you were still taking the piss while it was on PI), you knew what would happen.

'tis only a week anywho, so now worries, eh? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

dudara wrote: »
    Cleaning the thread of all the idiotic replies and moving it would have been one option.

However, it was obvious that posters jumped on the band wagon to have fun in a thread in PI, simply because it was clear that it was in the wrong forum. It was as if they felt that the normal order in PI could be ignored simply due to the fact that Gubby made an error in posting her thread there.

They dont celebrate Christmas in PI :(
    chimp3.jpg

• Advertisement

My only ever Boards ban was a week from PI, many moons ago ;)

It flew.

Even so, I don't think bans were necessary in this instance. There's enough precedence to support this view around the site.

If it stands, it stands. No big deal, but it wouldn't be the way I'd play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

First of all, congrats on the ban cherry. The first time is always the best.

Second of all, I saw that thread before any reply's. I thought of a smart reply, then relised its PI. So I didnt post. You did and you got banned. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

PI is a humour-free zone for obvious reasons.

I'd imagine that sometimes the only way to get that across is via liberal use of the ban-stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh, I've gotten longer bans from PI for less. Just take the ban, and in a week, you'll be back. FFS, it's ONLY a week. It's not a month, like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

faceman wrote: »
    They dont celebrate Christmas in PI
    Indeed they don't. I got banned on Christmas Day of all days. :(;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Honestly, I think I was unfairly banned, but considering it's only a week I wasn't really bothered complaining and thought I'd just explain why I felt it was unfair to dudara when requesting to be unbanned, but I guess there's a thread here now.

Why do I feel it was unfair? Because people regularly get away with small things like this in PI, especially in threads which are out of place or ridiculous, and it seemed to me like there was a small humour threshold in PI in threads that weren't deadly serious PIs. Also, even in serious PIs, if a joke is made, the poster is usually just warned. Only in cases of seriously vulgar or offensive comments have I seen a user banned from PI without a warning.

If you want to enforce a strict, zero tolerance, instant ban policy, even for jokes within misplaced or ridiculous threads, I have no problem with that, but I'd request that the mods all agree to enforce it consistantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So we should be awake 24hrs a day to be consistant...

Faceman I am the only mod who uses the nice day warning it is a piece of java script
    the other mods don't have to use it, I choose to.

Do your part to make such consistancy happen report the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    If you want to enforce a strict, zero tolerance, instant ban policy, even for jokes within misplaced or ridiculous threads, I have no problem with that, but I'd request that the mods all agree to enforce it consistantly.
    Nah. The mods of PI understandably have to be humourless ban-stick merchants because of the very nature of the personal topics being discussed.

I wouldn't sweat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So we should be awake 24hrs a day to be consistant.

Take it in shifts or just hand it over to Ruu? ;)

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »

Do your part to make such consistancy happen report the posts.

That could be applied to almost all Feedback threads, and doesn't get repeated often enough.

So, quoted for emphasis.
    Nah. The mods of PI understandably have to be humourless ban-stick merchants because of the very nature of the personal topics being discussed.

Jesus. Talk about damning with faint praise.

Advertisement