Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Morph the cat" album is over rated -Discuss

Options
  • 29-12-2007 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭

I have been a big fan of Donald Fagan ( and Steely Dan ) since the start. For the life of me I cant seem to warm to "Morph the cat". People have told me to give it time and it'll grow on me. I bought it when it came out and have played it a lot but still dont like it.

There is not one track that grabs you and holds you IMO. The tempo is almost the same throughout and gone are the sublime guitar solo's and odd metres from the "Dan" days. They say an artists inspiration can evaporate sometimes. Fagan's has with this album IMO.

Anyone agree? Or am I missing something ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I agree, never had any special inclination towards steely dan, basically I just bought the album because I liked the name Morph The Cat, but yeah, its very run of the mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Fairly tedious by his usual standards I'm afraid to admit. I'm a big Dan fan, but for me this album has nothing on the Nightfly or Kamakiriad. Having said that, I'd easily put up with it to see Don Fagen live. :) Anyone lucky enough to have experienced that??

I didn't know the album was highly rated tbh, I thought it was just one of those records that is regarded indifferently. It doesn't really have those old Dan inspired grooves and hooks that have you humming the tune days after hearing them. It's not so much a bad album but a bad Don fagen album, if ya know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Glad I'm not alone in my opinion of this album. The reason I say it's over rated is because on an American forum, out of about 20 replies only 2 did n't like it while the rest said it was excellent.

I saw "Dan" live in the Point years ago (they were great) but never saw Fagan himself live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Did you like the Nightfly/Kamakiriad as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Daddio wrote: »
    Did you like the Nightfly/Kamakiriad as a matter of interest?

Yes. I liked "Nightfly", but I have n't heard the latter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement