Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook Express riddled with spam

• 29-12-2007 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

My parents just told me they've been getting over 100 new spam messages on their email everyday with some obscenely filthy titles for two people their age, what would be the best spam filter to get to stop this continuing to happen?

Its about time one of us actually bothered to stop that stuff from coming, I'm just not sure what programme to download to do this as there are so many.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

An eircom e-mail account by any chance? These are cat for letting spam through, unless you pay eircom to filter for you.

Anyway, I'd suggest you download Thunderbird. It's very easy to use. If you get spam, junk mark it as junk and you'll 'train' the program into dealing with it. I have all mail marked as junk throw into a junk folder until I have a quick flick through it before deleting. It catches most of the spam.

Your security software/anti-virus may have come with an anti-spam component but, if so, it's clearly not working!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could always set up a 'clean' gmail address and collect it (POP) using Outlook Express - save them having to fiddle with webpage interfaces and you never get to see what gmail nets as spam, unless you visit the web interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I would suggest opening a Gmail account for them and forwarding their old address to the new Gmail one. They can even use their old address from within Gmail. Feck all spam gets in with it.
    *EDIT* Sorry, did not see previous post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There's also a free program called spamfighter which works very well and hardly requires any intervention at all. At the beginning you may have to 'block' a couple of Spams, but the rest of the time it filters just about everything.

I think it's filtered over 11000 spams for me so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ComputerNerd

best to move to gmail

spam tools use rules to spot spam, but if you look at any spam mail, the words are spelt wrong, pictures are surrounded by invisibal text, lots of other tricks to make it look genuine,

its impossibal to stop all spam, and your more then likely to have some genuine mails blocked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Spam is everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

best to move to gmail

spam tools use rules to spot spam, but if you look at any spam mail, the words are spelt wrong, pictures are surrounded by invisibal text, lots of other tricks to make it look genuine,

its impossibal to stop all spam, and your more then likely to have some genuine mails blocked

You really should try spamfighter. It is rock solid and never makes that kind of mistake. The very odd time you have to indicate a spam mail to it, but thats maybe 1 in 100 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Shamrok wrote: »
    I would suggest opening a Gmail account for them and forwarding their old address to the new Gmail one. They can even use their old address from within Gmail. Feck all spam gets in with it.
    *EDIT* Sorry, did not see previous post!

Agree totally. Gmail traps the spam on their server. Never gets through. On the rare occasion it does I use a little utility called Spam Bully http://www.spambully.com/index.php?rs=clickbank which I find excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

rrpc wrote: »
    You really should try spamfighter. It is rock solid and never makes that kind of mistake. The very odd time you have to indicate a spam mail to it, but thats maybe 1 in 100 or so.

Works very well for me. And it's free, although it does add a little advert for itself to your outgoing emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've paid for Spamfighter for my work account (so no message at the bottom). It filters 100-150 a day, so it works amazingly well.

Not looking forward to downloading over a thousand tomorrow morning though....

• Advertisement
Advertisement