Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Takeaway - What to get.

• 29-12-2007 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

Right, Im going to order a takeaway in a bit but I want something different. I usually just get the chicken balls, chips & curry sauce. Im feeling adventurous tonight but looking at the menu Ive no idea what dish is what. Anyone recommend me a dish and a slight discription of what it tastes like. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

deep fried wonton... theres another fried chicken dish thats tasty too, cant remember the name of it tho... I generally just close my eyes and point, once it aint fish I'll give it a bash...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Chips, rice, curry and prawn crackers.

The food of kings (unhealthy kings).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kung Po chicken is quite nice - spicy and with cashew nuts.

Crispy Chilli Beef is to die for, but not many places do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Beef Chow Mein is the king of Chinese takeaway dishes if you get the right place. I don't know how to describe what it tastes like... beef on noodles. Chow mein's not really a sauce though, I dunno what it is. It's just kind of semi-soy, semi-stock. Stir fry kind of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ah lads... I'll have to get a Chinese myself this evening now!

• Advertisement

If you want to branch out see if they have a quarter of aromatic duck (for starter - possibly for sharing, if you're into that whole thing!). Get extra pancakes.

I like my special curries, but I do like szechaun beef. You could also try their thai green beef curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Crispy Aromatic Duck with Hoi Sin and Pancakes - Chinese heaven.........mmmmmm. Feck I'm hungry now.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Vote here for Chicken Satay (main course, not starter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

spurious wrote: »
    Kung Po chicken is quite nice - spicy and with cashew nuts.

The chinese I worked in used ketchup and brown sauce as the main ingredients in their Kung Po so I tend to stay away from it! And it's a pretty good and popular Chinese restaurant/take away, not a grubby little place.

I usually get shredded smoked chicken or aromatic duck, and pork ginger and spring onion. I'm hungry now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

janeybabe wrote: »
    The chinese I worked in used ketchup and brown sauce as the main ingredients in their Kung Po so I tend to stay away from it! And it's a pretty good and popular Chinese restaurant/take away, not a grubby little place.

I don't doubt it - much depends on the particular place, indeed often on who is the main chef on any given night.

Aromatic Duck....mmm....

I made the error of ordering Szechuan chicken while in Chongqing a couple of years ago - :eek: oh my Jesus I don't think my mouth has recovered yet. Chinese people must think we like things really bland if that is the firepower they are used to (and I'm sure they probably cooled it down for the Western palate).

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I don't doubt it - much depends on the particular place, indeed often on who is the main chef on any given night.

Aromatic Duck....mmm....

I made the error of ordering Szechuan chicken while in Chongqing a couple of years ago - :eek: oh my Jesus I don't think my mouth has recovered yet. Chinese people must think we like things really bland if that is the firepower they are used to (and I'm sure they probably cooled it down for the Western palate).

Ya, at our Christmas parties in the restaurant the Canotonese people used to have different food to the Irish people, and a lot of what they ate was really spicy.

I know that Satay is generally a peanut sauce, but in the place we always go to the sauce is spicy like Szechuan (a little less spicy). Anyone else go a Chinese where this is the case? I've only ever found it in this particular place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

janeybabe wrote: »
    Ya, at our Christmas parties in the restaurant the Canotonese people used to have different food to the Irish people, and a lot of what they ate was really spicy.
    Yeah, most chinese people don't eat the stuff you get in chinese takeaways.
    I know that Satay is generally a peanut sauce, but in the place we always go to the sauce is spicy like Szechuan (a little less spicy). Anyone else go a Chinese where this is the case? I've only ever found it in this particular place.
    Satay is meant to be a little spicy so maybe the Szechuan sauce is just a little diluted. The Szechuan (Sichuan) province is actually quite well known for spicy foods. Dunno what the Szechuan sauce is meant to be but it should be very spicy and that's rarely the case.

Most takeaways also don't make their own sauce. They use satay and szechuan sauce paste from a jar which can be bought in asia markets. Most takeaways won't even know how to make them from scratch.

The kung po sauce is also from szechuan province and is obviously not made using ketchup and brown sauce. My dad used to sell sauce made from bottled chilli and garlic sauce as kung po. There's a proper westernised version of kung po that's popular in america cause they couldn't get the important ingredient szechuan peppercorns for years. This link explains it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Pao_chicken. People here usually don't even get the westernised version, just something made up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

signapore chow mein... it has beef chicken pork prawns and just stuff :D
    depends where you get it from though, the meat pieces in some places are too big... but if they get it right its lovely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Cantonese roast duck with fried rice.

It's got very few ingredients, but absolutely amazing taste!

PlayGirl wrote: »
    signapore chow mein... it has beef chicken pork prawns and just stuff :D
    depends where you get it from though, the meat pieces in some places are too big... but if they get it right its lovely :D
    One of my favourites. The meat is meant to be shredded cha-su (honey roast pork), there's no chicken or beef in it. The Good World on George's Street does it very well and you can order stuff for takeaway from this restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

King prawn in garlic and chilli sauce!!

yyyyyuuuuuuummmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    One of my favourites. The meat is meant to be shredded cha-su (honey roast pork), there's no chicken or beef in it. The Good World on George's Street does it very well and you can order stuff for takeaway from this restaurant.

well whatever it is its good eatin'! :D

Tzetze wrote: »
    Cantonese roast duck with fried rice.

It's got very few ingredients, but absolutely amazing taste!
    Haven't been to many of the newer chinese restaurants on Parnell and Moore Street but I've only seen China House on Parnell to do this properly and it's really good there. A chinese friend recommended it. Give it a try if you get the chance. They only apparently roast 3 ducks a day and it's usually sold out by 6pm. The older chinese takeaways and restaurants are usually just serving out roast duck, which is also tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

wow! Duck seems really popular here!

I'm so boring when it comes to chinese...the usual chicken curry and boiled rice!

Although I have been known to order salt and chilli squid from time to time...:D

Yeah, most chinese people don't eat the stuff you get in chinese takeaways.

Satay is meant to be a little spicy so maybe the Szechuan sauce is just a little diluted. The Szechuan (Sichuan) province is actually quite well known for spicy foods. Dunno what the Szechuan sauce is meant to be but it should be very spicy and that's rarely the case.

Most takeaways also don't make their own sauce. They use satay and szechuan sauce paste from a jar which can be bought in asia markets. Most takeaways won't even know how to make them from scratch.

The kung po sauce is also from szechuan province and is obviously not made using ketchup and brown sauce. My dad used to sell sauce made from bottled chilli and garlic sauce as kung po. There's a proper westernised version of kung po that's popular in america cause they couldn't get the important ingredient szechuan peppercorns for years. This link explains it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Pao_chicken. People here usually don't even get the westernised version, just something made up :D

Sorry, I meant that the Satay I get is like Szechaun only less spicy. The chinese I worked in made everything from scratch apart from the bbq and sweet and sour sauce which they got from a tin. The owner cookseverything for the restaurant himself and the other chef does all the take away orders. The owneris a fantastic chef, but I hate the Satay he makes! (Stupid peanut sauce!)

Methinks I need to get a Chinese tomorrow. Roast pork with anything will do me!

The odd time I get a craving for chicken balls. (mmmm batter!) Some people get a bit snobby about them because they're not 'authentic Chinese food'. What they don't seem to realise is that the majority of dishes in normal Chinese take aways are not authentic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Ever since I saw that ad for the Knorr Chinatown range I've been ordering szechuan chicken. I also thrown in an egg fried rice and bag of prawn crackers - adventurous I know :rolleyes: !
    Dunno what the Szechuan sauce is meant to be but it should be very spicy and that's rarely the case.

You should try the szechuan chicken from The Lantern in Westport. I had some two nights ago, I think all my taste buds died from eating it. I had to have a box of tissues on the table beside me with the teary eyes and runny nose. I must have got through two litres of water that evening :D !

muffinhead wrote: »
    Ever since I saw that ad for the Knorr Chinatown range I've been ordering szechuan chicken. I also thrown in an egg fried rice and bag of prawn crackers - adventurous I know :rolleyes: !

Mix the rice with the szechuan and lash a fork full on a prawn cracker. Yum!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    wow! Duck seems really popular here!

I'm so boring when it comes to chinese...the usual chicken curry and boiled rice!

Why would you go to a Chinese restaurant just to order an Indian dish?

I'm a fan of chow mein alright. There's a chain of restaurants in Scotland called Jimmy Chungs which are all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets. It's a great way to try new dishes in small portions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

duck with black bean sauce with boiled rice.

Faith wrote: »
    Why would you go to a Chinese restaurant just to order an Indian dish?

I'm a fan of chow mein alright. There's a chain of restaurants in Scotland called Jimmy Chungs which are all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets. It's a great way to try new dishes in small portions!

My boyfriend went to one. He forgot the bit about the small portions. He piled aromatic duck on his plate and nearly cried when he could not finish it.

I always found it funny when people came into the Chinese I worked in and the entire table ordered either steak or curry. I mean, there are other restaurants in the area that do these dishes better! BUt they're on the menu so why shouldn't they order them I suppose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Steamed Sea Bass with Ginger and Spring Onions tonight.

Nyum nyum!

Advertisement