Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Has A Virus....Any help?

• 29-12-2007 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi,

Woke up this morning and turned on the laptop and it appears that I know have some sort of virus(s).

A spyware alert keeps popping warning me of some virus that I have and click here to get rid of it. It says "Security warning worm.win32.NetSky and it advises me to click yes to remove from pc immediately".

What does that mean and what can I do to get rid off???
    And why is it there?

And also as I type a "Windows security alert has popped up saying that windows has detected an Internet attack attempt.....Somebodys trying to infect your PC with spyware or harmful viruses.Run full system scan now to protect your PC from internet attacks, hijacking attempts and spyware! Click here to download spyware remover for total protection"..................should I click ok or cancel?

Sorry for being so vague its just that im not really the best with computers.
    So any help that you guys can give will be great.Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Those 'alerts' unless they are from a programme you yourself have installed can end up giving you even more trouble.
    If you click on their 'solution' it can download and install all sorts of malware and spyware.

What anti-virus are you using? Are these messages from your anti-virus or do they seem to be Windows alerts?
    Do you regularly run scans using AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

Thanks for the reply spurious. Im using Norton anti-virus.
    Im getting both windows alerts and spyware alerts.

I never as far as im aware used either AdAware or SpyBot Destroy.Should I?
    Where do I get them from?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are free and you can get them at these sites.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Download, install and update them before running them.
    They will clear out a lot of junk on your PC - wait till you see how much there is...

If you don't already use a browser other than Internet Explorer, now might be a time to give Firefox a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭still_raining

It sounds like you definately have some sort of smitfraud infection. Whatever you do don't click on the links that pop up asking you to download software to fix it, that'll just make things worse.

You'll need to download smitfraudfix. Link and instructions are below:
    http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Adware is pretty good , you could clear everything off your lap top and start again from scratch annoying but somtimes necessary if you get a bad virus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

latchyco wrote: »
    Adware is pretty good

I hope you mean AdAware!
    In my experience however I can't really recommend it. As far as I've seen it's really only useful for removing cookies.

Smitfraud should fix your problem if you are careful and follow the instructions.

Otherwise I'd recommend SUPERantispyware. Crappy name I know, but a fantastic product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

Thanks a bunch guys......worked a treat the AdAware.....touch wood.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

yeah i had that netsky virus too. a complete pain in the a.hole, i clicked the link which made it ten times worse. pc had to be rebooted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

You should do this to be sure no remains left

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
    • Close all other windows before proceeding.
    • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
    • If your anti-virus or firewall complains, please allow this script to run as it is not malicious.
    • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ComputerNerd

-annex- wrote: »
    I hope you mean AdAware!
    In my experience however I can't really recommend it. As far as I've seen it's really only useful for removing cookies.

Smitfraud should fix your problem if you are careful and follow the instructions.

Otherwise I'd recommend SUPERantispyware. Crappy name I know, but a fantastic product.

i hope you mean smitfraudfix :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Quote -annex- I hope you mean AdAware!
    =ComputerNerd;54757937]i hope you mean smitfraudfix :D

I hope your all well with no post season virus ....... human or mechanical :D

Advertisement