Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Harness

• 29-12-2007 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

As part of my new plan to stop my cat from getting any fatter, I bought a cat harness today. I thought some outdoor strolls might be just the thing! (Whether I can withstand the public ridicule is another question! :D)

Has anyone succeeded in training their cats to walk in one? When I put it loosely on him, to get him used to it, he slunk really low to the floor and crept around on bent legs! (It was really funny) Will he get over this do you think?

I'm going to look even weirder if my cat on a lead is walking like a crab!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would also look at your cats diet too, maybe put him on diet control food for a little while? We have had several cats who walk on a leash and only one who won't budge. :) When they crouch down, just be patient and keep picking him up so he can walk a couple of steps or at least stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Good luck is all I can say!!!!! When we moved over here from Holland we brought a cat with us in the car, via the UK, and to avoid him going AWOL when we stopped anywhere we got a harness for him. We tried, in the weeks leading up to the epic journey, to train him to accept it but he never did really. It was OK as long as you were going the same way as the cat wanted to, but the moment you tried to influence the cat's direction of travel in anyway, he just sank to the ground and 'played dead'. You get some pretty strange looks as well when you're out with a cat on a lead, I can tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

My cat is harness trained but it didn't come easy! it took a while and we had a few set backs but now he will walk on the lead, he's not as easily led as a dog, and will sometimes refuse to go in a certain direction, but if its for exercise its perfect. he can stroll along the footpaths and i just tag along, and if he gets spooked or nervous if cars etc come too close, i just have to scoop him up as he can't get away from me!
    try leaving the harness on for a few periods of half an hour each day then when he's comfy, attach a light lead during these sessions, when this is ignored use the harness/lead to restrain him ie stop him from going in a certain direction, when he realises that you can stop him going the way he wants he'll be more likely to go your way. Dylan (my cat) is pretty bomb-proof, he has been coming to fundraisers for the local spca since he was a kitten nd is very comfortable in crowds, not all cats are as happy about being handled by strangers and unfortunately kids can't resist a grope of a harnassed cat, so if your cat is nervous this can be traumatic.
    If you think its weight is posing a health risk, go to your local vets (in my experience pet shops will try to sell you anything) and ask the people who are trained in nutrition about a good food. personally, i recommend hills, they do a huge range to cater for all lifestyles/ages including housebound cats and nuetered cats. its more expensive than your average grub, but the money it'll save you in vets bills in the long run makes it really worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thanks for the advice!

I don't think he's at the obese stage yet - he's just getting a bit chubby and I want to nip this in the bud. I think cutting out treats and more exercise will do the job.

And I need to do exactly the same thing myself!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement