Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Kits

Options
  • 29-12-2007 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, im interested in starting my own ghost hunting group with four of my friends as a hobbie. Im based in Offaly. Where abouts in ireland can i buy paranormal kits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

There no where in Ireland were you can walk in and buy "kits" so people tend to go online to places like Tom's Gadgets in the UK - I've bought from them and they are quick and easy to deal with.

My advice would be to hold off from buying alot of gear before you've a few outings under your belt but I'll list what would be handy to have:

Torches
    Cameras (film & digital)
    Good notebooks and pens
    First Aid kit
    A video camer with night shot - these arent expensive enough but check out so Sony miniDV handycams
    Digital Dictaphone
    Shoebox cassette recorder

Thats it apart from the classic lines like "an open mind" :rolleyes:

The likes of EMF meters etc are things you move onto later if you think they are worth while, it all depends on your goals as a group.

Anyway, hope that help.

I'm sure I left stuff off but others will fill in the gaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Haven't come across any for sale in Ireland but it's easy enough to get stuff like thermometers and things like that fom diy stores.Any of the kits I have seen on line are usually way over priced and are just the run of the mill measurement equipment or motion sensors. Am always on the look out for equipment, if I see any will let ya know but personally think would be a lot cheaper to take a trip to a diy store or argos.
    Good luck on setting up your society if you ever need a hand with anything I would love to help ya out.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

just stay small at first if you start with a group why dont you all chip in and it makes the cost less expensive,im sure all the gang here would only be to happy to help you any way we can,always remember LOGIC BEFORE PARANORMAL,

best of luck with the group keep us posted on your conquest,our group is there to tell you its not paranormal,80%we can explain the other 20 we cant, it took us along time to find the 20%,but hang in there rome wasnt built in a day

we need ,more groups in this country,and another one is always welcome.

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Have to agree with Meatwad, in general any 'kits' I've seen online tend to be bog standard equiptment thrown in a fancy case and sold at twice the price, if not more!

And like Danny says, maybe try things on a very small scale at first, just to make sure it's something you will want to keep at before spending lots of cash, and buy things one at a time as you feel you need them.

And others may disagree with me, but from what I've seen so far, the best piece of equiptment is simply a few open minds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

one thing not normally included with any kit is ensuring your group has a sense of being - that you have set yourself a goal and an organised way of acheiving that goal.

The goal can be anything - better though based around your own thoughts, feelings and theories on the paranormal. Then as you go along, and as sixth and danny mentioned, start small with basic gear - you'll find you'll end up buying equipment because you need it, rather than buying a lot of stuff and not knowing what exactly to use it for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Oh very good idea iamhaunted....certainly not something that most might include

Ladybird

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I found the kits ot be a waste of money, places like
    www.cpc.co.uk will sell you the same stuff and better for less.

you can put a lot of the stuff together buy getting 6ths list and sitting down with you group and seeeing who has what, you'd be surprized at who has audio recorders, cameras, temp devices etc from work etc, you can only do so much in an investigation anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ghosthunter73

I have to agree, loads of good advice here. I would never buy a pre-made kit. It's far better to do your homework find out exactly what it is that will help you during your investigations. As a founder of a group you usually feel the brunt of the financial burden. Take the advice here and join a group. You are lucky living in Offaly having Charleville Castle close to you. There are always groups doing investigations there,
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 c.a.p.r.a

louis1976 wrote: »
    Hi, im interested in starting my own ghost hunting group with four of my friends as a hobbie. Im based in Offaly. Where abouts in ireland can i buy paranormal kits?
    hi from all here at c.a.p.r.a county antrim paranormal research association
    yes toms gadgets would be your best bet to starting off. also for dvr and IR cameras ebay is great though if you was near belfast you can get them there also .your best bet would be toms gadgets .if you start simple with a voice recorder and some software such as cooledit pro of there are some good free audio programs out there you can download and a sony night vision cam thats all you really need to start you off ...just wanted to let you all know we will be looking for new members for 2008 so if anyone would like to get intouch you can email us at cApRa6671@yahoo.com or take a look at our myspace page until our web page is completed .best regards kieran/ c.a.p.r.a HAPPY NEW YEAR

c.a.p.r.a wrote: »
    hi from all here at c.a.p.r.a county antrim paranormal research association
    yes toms gadgets would be your best bet to starting off. also for dvr and IR cameras ebay is great though if you was near belfast you can get them there also .your best bet would be toms gadgets .if you start simple with a voice recorder and some software such as cooledit pro of there are some good free audio programs out there you can download and a sony night vision cam thats all you really need to start you off ...just wanted to let you all know we will be looking for new members for 2008 so if anyone would like to get intouch you can email us at cApRa6671@yahoo.com or take a look at our myspace page until our web page is completed .best regards kieran/ c.a.p.r.a HAPPY NEW YEAR
    best of luck with the new team,and good luck wih the website dont be a stranger ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 c.a.p.r.a

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    best of luck with the new team,and good luck wih the website dont be a stranger ,
    lol so very true indeed another thing when ppl say thay have seen a ghost are thay rite to do so? think about it what does the word ghost mean? unseen spirit lol so if thay see a ghost its not a ghost at all cos its been seen rite? humm worth thinking about lol.have a good day:)

c.a.p.r.a wrote: »
    lol so very true indeed another thing when ppl say thay have seen a ghost are thay rite to do so? think about it what does the word ghost mean? unseen spirit lol so if thay see a ghost its not a ghost at all cos its been seen rite? humm worth thinking about lol.have a good day:)

lmao ,,,,,very true;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

BTW OP, when I was in your position I bought a Kit, all I use now is the case so I've been there.

c.a.p.r.a-- best of luck with your group, welcome to boards

Advertisement