Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motherwell captain O'Donnell dies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I only read a while ago about him collapsing. RIP O'Donnell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

****ing hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Shocking that, happened to a mate of mine a couple of months ago while we were playing, just collpased on the pitch, is hard to cope with, fittest lad on the pitch by a mile, marathon runner and the works. If the reaction of our team is anything to go by then they will be hit very hard by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Shocking news :(

Had the pleasure of seeing him from day one when he joined Celtic with a bang

Thoughts go out ot his family

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Very sad...RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its terrible that this keeps happening, its getting worryingly common.

R.I.P. Phil O'Donnell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Man..what can be said....

Rest in peace.

I'm going for a heart check up first thing Monday morning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Rip :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Man..what can be said....

Rest in peace.

I'm going for a heart check up first thing Monday morning.

they cant tell if its going to happen,it just does,so your trip would be a waste of time.hence sudden death syndrome

*rip*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Scary stuff. Don't recall hearing much about this sort of thing ten years ago yet it does seem more common these days in football.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Terrible news. Coming to the end of his career and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

RIP, hard to believe he was still playing, it seems as though he's been around for ages. Horrible to hear this kind of thing happening to a clearly fit guy. He was just about to be taken off as well. Thoughts go out to his family.
    dc69 wrote: »
    they cant tell if its going to happen,it just does,so your trip would be a waste of time.hence sudden death syndrome

*rip*

It couldn't do any harm, especially if there is any history of young deaths or any form of heart problem in the family. I certainly wouldn't discourage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Terribly sad. Makes you think back to a couple of months ago when there were a few cases in the space of a fortnight or so. Really scary.

RIP Phil O' Donnell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

shocking :(

R.I.P. Phil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I remember the lad playing for Celtic in the 90s because I have a friend with the same name. Terrible news. R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

terrible shame

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

very sad news
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Very sad indeed. I remember sigining him for my Championship Manager game when it first came out and he was a star player then.

In real life he had a lot of injuries that never helped hs career but other players used to say he was a great player.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends at this time. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Great suggestion from someone on the BBC sports forum

"When the Celtic-Motherwell game is rescheduled, both teams should wear the strips they wore when they won the Scottish Cup with Phil in their team

wapheid "

Must admit I dont follow the SPL (I cheer on Celtic when it gets to CL stage but the SPL is just too predictable for my liking) and therefore dont know what strips anyone was wearing on the days O`Donnell was on two cup winning sides, but its a great idea.

From what Ive read of him he was a potential legend worn down by persistent injury (one interview with someone he played under seemingly honestly compared him to Steven Gerrard if he had been able to fulfill his full potential ). Looked him up on wikipedia earlier, he had a very good goal average for his position (something like 16 in 89 games. However he only got 89 games in something like 5 yrs with them, which I suppose tells its own story in terms of injury)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

shane86 wrote: »

Must admit I dont follow the SPL (I cheer on Celtic when it gets to CL stage but the SPL is just too predictable for my liking)

please give me the results for next fixtures please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Extremely sad. Friend of mine, big Celtic fan met the guy a few times, he's really shook up by this. Very upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Agreed. Response deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Shocked by this, RIP.

I think the SFA should offer Hampden Park to Motherwell for the Celtic game that is postponed from Sunday. It would be a sell out. The proceeds of the game should go to a trust fund for Phil O'Donnell's children.

From a Celtic POV, here are some nice photos

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4724/signingsn1.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6378/celebratecelticnh8.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2205/larssonfj5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The old firm match has now been called off:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/7165976.stm

A lot of fans are going to be out of pocket big time for this late cancellation. Why did the SPL not cancel the whole card for Wednesday on Saturday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I believe that Motherwells two games were called off because the family requested it.
    It seems it was up to the clubs themselves

Right decision though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Phil O'Donnell RIP. Remember him at Celtic and then when he joined Wednesday with Simon Donnelly. He was unfortunate with injuries and should of had more caps. A real loss to the game in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

nice gesture by mc fadden after his goal today. fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Mr Alan wrote: »
    nice gesture by mc fadden after his goal today. fair play.

Didn't see that, what did he do?
    eirebhoy wrote: »

Oh man. That's so sad. Brings a tear to my eye. Poor little kids. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Nice gesture by ferguson the other day.
    Just goes to show that not all of us "orcs" are such bad guys eh?
    http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee143/charlie19781978/ohbarry.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/7183310.stm

Main stand tribute to O'Donnell

The main stand will be renamed after the former Well captain
    Motherwell have renamed their main stand after former captain Phil O'Donnell, who died last month.

O'Donnell, 35, collapsed and died of heart failure during a match against Dundee United on 29 December.

Well owner John Boyle said everyone at the club wanted a lasting tribute to O'Donnell and revealed that the stand would be renamed for next season.

O'Donnell's father, Bernard, said: "The family regard the naming of the stand after him as a great honour."

Boyle said the club were keen to recognise the outstanding contribution O'Donnell had made to the Fir Park club.

"We consulted members of Phil's family who have indicated their support and appreciation of this tribute," said Boyle.

Bernard O'Donnell said: "We have all been deeply touched by the reaction to Phil's death and Eileen and the rest of the family will always be grateful for the kindness that has been shown.

"The family regards the naming of the stand after him as a great honour and we will always appreciate this in the years to come."

Martin Rose, chairman of the Motherwell Supporters' Trust added: "On behalf of the Motherwell fans I would like to say we are fully behind this decision."

Motherwell postponed two of their games following O'Donnell's death as a mark of respect.

Well face Hearts in the Scottish Cup fourth-round tie at Tynecastle on Saturday and the Motherwell players will wear strips with O'Donnell's autograph embroidered on the front.

The players asked for the signature to be woven into their shirts as a tribute to their former skipper.

Club kit-man Alan McDonald said: "It will be exclusive to the first-team kits as it's the team's own tribute.

"It's something small but sometimes it's the small things that make all the difference.

"It's on the home and away kits as well as the coach's gear and we'll wear it proudly for the rest of the season."

A fitting tribute to O'Donnell. Really like the idea of the signature being on the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

The signature idea is a really nice touch

Advertisement