Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Acknowledge Waterford (Finally!)

• 29-12-2007 9:03pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just got word that TV3 have finally acknowledged the omission of Waterford from some maps, and have promised to correct the matter. UpTheDeise are reporting that TV3 will have the issue corrected in the coming month.
    We have finally done it!!!

Thanks to everyone who got involved on UpTheDeise.com!

We have now managed to change the minds of 3 national organsiations, Discover Ireland, RTE and now Tv3!!!

Congratulations!!!

We did it!

Up The Deise!

Dear Mr Foley,

Thanks so much for your e-mail regarding the omission of Waterford City in our weather map.

I'm happy to state that this was not intentional and will be rectified over the coming month as we introduce new weather graphics as part of our presentation.

I hope this is to your satisfaction.

Kind regards,

Andrew Hanlon
    Director of News & Information Programming.
    TV3
    Ireland

Fair play to all those who took part in requesting the change :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This compares with the Siege of Leningrad being repelled.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

about time as well, now if cian and the boys could get rid of the spa who actually presents the weather i might even switch the channel on from time to time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

I wish they would bring back the news at half 6. And get rid of that bloody lorraine keane - famous for reading the traffic report .... and they say its only in america people are famous for no good reason ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

As I said in another thread, I've seen Waterford on the map already.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    As I said in another thread, I've seen Waterford on the map already.

It doesnt appear on the city maps, or something. It appears on some, but not all. It lists KK as a city, but not Waterford. Amusing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

This is sad...first a thread about someone calling waterford a town.....now about getting on the map on the TV3 weather........Is there nothing else happening in Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Carlow ftw tbh :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ec18 wrote: »
    This is sad...first a thread about someone calling waterford a town.....now about getting on the map on the TV3 weather........Is there nothing else happening in Waterford?

A lot of people are insulted that a national weather broadcaster doesnt know its cities from its towns. Hence, TV3 finaly getting there geography right is a good thing to many and further helps Waterford get recognition as a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Sully wrote: »
    further helps Waterford get recognition as a city.

Why? We know Waterford is a city, the constitution (or some other official document) says its a city, who cares if some people call it a town?

Minto wrote: »
    Why? We know Waterford is a city, the constitution (or some other official document) says its a city, who cares if some people call it a town?

That wasnt my point. Thats a different topic, which I commented on and said pretty much what you said. This isnt the same topic.

The fact is, a **** load of people in Ireland are not aware of Waterford being a city or a place of much exsistance. Its a city thats got **** all recognition. Who cares? A lot of Waterford people do and a lot of Waterford businesses do. People who are proud of there city and would like offical figures when talking about a cities to get there geography right care. Irish Rail is a prime example - a lot of their adverts mention every city but exclude Waterford. Some national newspapers give a "City Forecast" but dont seem to realise that Waterford is a city.

It pays its toal on Waterford when it comes to shops locating here, tourism, general business etc. As said in the other topic: Offical figures when refering to citys should get it right, and when refering to Waterford in an offical sense should indicate its not a town but a city. Localy, we say town. I say town. Those up the country will say "We are going to Waterford" not "We are going to Waterford City". We all do that, I do it. Some people prefer that wasnt the case, as indicated in the other thread.

See the point? This post isnt all about me, my opinion or my view. There are a few posters here who would like to hear that news and are not a member of the UTD site. Its been covered in the local media also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

waterford is neither a town or a city its a dump.........
    im just glad i dont live there anymore.

marktsang wrote: »

Well, id pick Madrid over Waterford anyday :P

What dont you like about it? Waterford hasnt the best of shops (its slowly improving, but very slowly) ill agree with you on that. But what else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Some amount of trolls in here lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

not much happening on the deise forum alright ,can be a bit slow to say the least but just to contribute i think waterford getting recognition is a good thing and about time.i know it can seem trivial and maybe not high up on some peoples list of priorities that TV3 put us on a weather map but the reality is this kind of exclusion is a symptom of a much broader overveiw of ireland by people in authority and power who rightly or wrongly make decisions regarding grants/factorys/schools/redevelopment etc etc. now im not saying put us on a weather map and everything will be rosy but firstly we must be regarded as equal to other cites in trivial things like weather maps .the perception of these people has to be that we deserve the same attention as cork or dublin. two sayings come to mind " out of sight, out of mind" and " the dumb priest never got a parish"

SUNGOD wrote: »
    not much happening on the deise forum alright ,can be a bit slow to say the least but just to contribute i think waterford getting recognition is a good thing and about time.i know it can seem trivial and maybe not high up on some peoples list of priorities that TV3 put us on a weather map but the reality is this kind of exclusion is a symptom of a much broader overveiw of ireland by people in authority and power who rightly or wrongly make decisions regarding grants/factorys/schools/redevelopment etc etc. now im not saying put us on a weather map and everything will be rosy but firstly we must be regarded as equal to other cites in trivial things like weather maps .the perception of these people has to be that we deserve the same attention as cork or dublin. two sayings come to mind " out of sight, out of mind" and " the dumb priest never got a parish"

I never thought id see the day, but I agree with you 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

First of all, I'll echo Sungod's comments above. Our city is not on the A-list of Irish cities and we have to make all these little steps in order to rectify that. Fair play to the lads and lasses at Up the Déise for badgering RTE and TV3 into recognising our city.

You've got to remember that Waterford has seen a shocking decline in its status over the past 40 years. In the '60s the city was bigger than Galway and was one of the top industrial centres in the country, built around Waterford Crystal.

In the '70s, '80s and even up to the '90s, the city stagnated, relative to other Irish cities, and in real terms moved backwards. Part of this was our own fault (the port strike in the '80s plus an over-reliance on Waterford Crystal), but part of it was a shameful neglect on the part of the government - here are a few examples:
    - the N9 south of Carlow has not been improved since the '80s as far as I can remember. A new motorway is under construction now, at long last.
    - no government department has ever been decentralised to Waterford.
    - Waterford airport got bugger-all government support until a year or two ago. Contrast this with Knock, which doesn't actually serve any major urban area. Our airport came close to closure as recently as 2002.
    - Waterford RTC (now WIT) was established in 1968, before the NIHEs in Dublin and Limerick were set up. They are now universities, whereas in Waterford we are still waiting.
    - the city still depends on a single bridge, another situation that thankfully is now - albeit late - being rectified.

This has left the city with a bruised and battered sense of self-confidence, which is only now slowly being turned around.

I personally am sick of Waterford being constantly the largest city in Ireland without various facilities. We're the largest city without a university. We're probably the largest city without a government department. In the area of private enterprise, we're the largest city without a branch of Brown Thomas.

We're fighting back though. Those of us who live here know what a wonderful place it can be, just as long as it's given a fair chance. Part of this is changing people's perceptions of Waterford as some sort of lost corner of the country where nothing much ever happens. That's why this little victory is so significant.

And since you asked what else is happening here, well it's a fair question. Sometimes I get frustrated because we have all these plans, but we never seem to see anything happen. I think we all have to get up off our a553s and get things moving here. Nevertheless, here are some of the things that are in planning:

- North Quays: a plan to transform the derelict docklands area. The land has been sold, but CIE have some sort of right-of-way bvllsh1t objection holding it up. The fact that they own a similar site in Cork which they plan to develop has nothing to do with this objection. Absolutely nothing at all.
    - Project 2014: when Ireland's oldest city will celebrate its 1100th birthday. The Viking area is to undergo a big development to provide a better backdrop to the city's historical heritage. A pedestrian bridge is on the cards to link the southside of the city to the North Quays.
    - Airport: work on extending the runway will begin next year. This will allow the airport to handle 737s and A320s. Who knows, Ryanair might even come back (yes, Ryanair started life on the Waterford-Dublin route. You knew that, didn't you?)
    - Roads: the new bridge (like the one outside Drogheda, only bigger) will open in 2010, taking N25 traffic out of the city. The new M9 to Dublin will be completed around the same time.
    - Tall Ships Race: Waterford's handling of the 2005 race so impressed the organisers, that the city was "invited" to apply to host the start of the 2011 race. That application was announced as successful earlier this year, one of the top achievements of any Irish urban area in 2007.

There's more too: there are plans in for a large shopping centre that will vastly improve retail in the city centre. We should see a decision on that in the new year. There is also a plan to revamp the derelict Ard Rí site overlooking the city. The Hilton group has been rumoured to be involved.

Now if only we could win an All-Ireland... roll on 2008! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote: »
    This compares with the Siege of Leningrad being repelled.

Mike.

Great contribution Mike.:rolleyes:

marktsang wrote: »

Care to say where you're originally from in Ireland? I'd say the first guess would do it.

Minto wrote: »

Those who live there and take great pride in it.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

fricatus wrote: »
    - Airport: work on extending the runway will begin next year. This will allow the airport to handle 737s and A320s. Who knows, Ryanair might even come back (yes, Ryanair started life on the Waterford-Dublin route. You knew that, didn't you?)

I remember the "I flew Ryanair to London" car stickers being a popular thing in school in the 80's from people using them from Waterford too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

does it really matter tbh it not going to make a huge difference wether they show it on the map or not.

* i feel sleepy after reading this*

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Great contribution Mike.:rolleyes:

I was putting this in its proper context. Some people need to get a grip. Its not like anyone wtches TV3 weather (not anyone who matters anyway).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

mike65 wrote: »
    I was putting this in its proper context. Some people need to get a grip. Its not like anyone wtches TV3 weather (not anyone who matters anyway).

Mike.

think your missing the point
    maybe on purpose
    maybe your trolling
    sorry how silly of me your a mod

We have finally done it!!!

Thanks to everyone who got involved on UpTheDeise.com!

We have now managed to change the minds of 3 national organsiations, Discover Ireland, RTE and now Tv3!!!

Congratulations!!!

We did it!

Up The Deise!

Of things to expend energy on TV3 comes near the bottom of the list even if it is be the cheapest.

fricatus post above lists the stuff that actually matters.

Mike.

Yes but Mike the point there trying to make, is we need to make sure we are recognised correctly before we can even begin to make improvements. RTE Weather did the same thing as TV3, but they corrected there mistake soon after being informed.

If we are being reported on TV by people of some importance as a "town" or "non exsistance" then those people who watch TV3 (and there are large numbers, TV3 is a popular station and clearly the weather is. Look at the birthday requests! ;)) will be further uneducated and this has a lasting affect on us.

"Waterford? Never heard of it? I be watching the weather on TV3 and see no Waterford.. musnt be big then"

Well I can't say no to enlightening the unwashed masses slumped in front of the telly waiting for Lorraine Keane.

Miek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Sully wrote: »
    Yes but Mike the point there trying to make, is we need to make sure we are recognised correctly before we can even begin to make improvements. QUOTE]

lol

emo!!: Nothing to contribute? Dont post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Care to say where you're originally from in Ireland? I'd say the first guess would do it.

Waterford - if that was your guess its correct...... spent 20 years there from a toddler to adult - then to cork then back to waterford then to dublin. then only saving grace of being in waterford is that i lived near a beach.

sully on of the worst things i found about waterford when i lived there - (few years ago now) was that it was full of wanna be hard men, there is nothing worse. that coupled with the lack of anything to do , lack of restaurants and lack of decent jobs...... what more could i say

• Advertisement
Advertisement