Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning my rifle scope

Options
  • 29-12-2007 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

hi lads, what is the best way to clean the lense on my rifle scope ? is there a special cleaning cloth? i know the lense have a coating on them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

you can buy special pens for cleaning the scopes most sports shops should have them or most outdoor shops were you get bino / monoculars,their the business for getting into the corners between the lens and the tube thats hard to get with cloths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

pm. wrote: »
    hi lads, what is the best way to clean the lense on my rifle scope ? is there a special cleaning cloth? i know the lense have a coating on them

The biggest danger to your scope lens is from barrel cleaning solvents
    it will take the coating off the lens-keep scope covers on whilst cleaning-
    and the lens pen is a handy tool. icon14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Lens pen, used it for the first time today.

A word of caution (from a spectacle wearer) about cloths. The thing that'll do most damage to your scope, beside cleaning fluids, is grit, even tiny particles. If you go rubbing gently a cloth with grit under it you're going to scrape your expensive lens. The lens pen has a very good brush on it to take away any grit, I brush the lens holding it upside down so gravity removes the grit for good. Bikini covers are good for protecting while cleaning/transporting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A lens pen:
    00005604abbaw7.jpg
    ...is a most useful yoke for this sort of job (and they can also be found in camera shops), but it won't shift water stains/oily fingerprints/blood or things of that sort.
    A wet cleaning system of some sort is needed for that, it might be worth asking the citizens of the Photography Forum for advice on the various types available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Rovi wrote: »
    A lens pen:
    00005604abbaw7.jpg
    ...is a most useful yoke for this sort of job (and they can also be found in camera shops), but it won't shift water stains/oily fingerprints/blood or things of that sort.
    A wet cleaning system of some sort is needed for that, it might be worth asking the citizens of the Photography Forum for advice on the various types available.

good pont Rovi, and thanks lads for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The biggest danger to your scope lens is from barrel cleaning solvents
    it will take the coating off the lens-keep scope covers on whilst cleaning-
    and the lens pen is a handy tool. icon14.gif

That happened my Leupold! I accidentally got 2-3 small droplets of solvent
    on the glass of the eyebell and it instantly removed the coating on the lens
    and permanently left 2-3 tiny round marks. It does not interfere at all with shooting but it maddened me for forgetting to cover the lens. Its madness that
    expensive scopes like these dont even come with a set of covers.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

I just give them a blast with an air duster (compressed air) to remove any grit and then I use a good quality lens cloth with some spectacle cleaner sprayed on it. I then get a clean dry lens cloth to finish. Just don’t use too much cleaner as some scopes have exposed rubber O rings and this stuff might cause them to perish. I’ve found the pens get dirty fairly quickly and just move the crud around the place (no offence to pen users).
    Cheers,
    Slug

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Birchwood Casey are making special cleaning wipes for scopes. Antistatic to stop dust bulding up just as quick next time. They come in a small packet like a baby wipe sort of thing that you throw away. Pack of ten wipes AFAIK

I bought a box of them to sell but haven't got round to selling them yet :o

Called Viz or something, check the BC website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I know it's statind the blindingly obvious, but, anyone new to cleaning their optics should ensure that whatever they are using are suitable for coated lenses.

johngalway wrote: »
    I know it's statind the blindingly obvious, but, anyone new to cleaning their optics should ensure that whatever they are using are suitable for coated lenses.
    The BC wipes I mentioned are suitable

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/accessories_index.asp?categoryID=8&subcat=9&prodcat=125

• Advertisement

demonloop wrote: »

thats the one

32125 -VTA25 VIZWIZ Lens Wipes - 25 Packets 1 $7.00 $7.00
    Merchandise Total: $7.00

Shipping + Processing: $52.10

to expensive to ship tho :(

pm. wrote: »
    thats the one

32125 -VTA25 VIZWIZ Lens Wipes - 25 Packets 1 $7.00 $7.00
    Merchandise Total: $7.00

Shipping + Processing: $52.10

to expensive to ship tho :(
    I have a load of them for sale if you want them. Send me a PM I'll hunt out the price

sorry i seen your post late:o i got a pack of 90 zeiss scope cleaning wipes for 17
    dollars including post.

No probs, for reference the Birchwood Casey wipes are £4.50 stg for a 25 pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Does anyone know if there are any types of wipes to stop the lens fogging up from your eye, not for my scope but for my binoculars. I have a pair of Steiners that have rubber gurads around the eyepiece to block out peripheral light and the damn things always fog up.
    Regards

spideog7 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any types of wipes to stop the lens fogging up from your eye, not for my scope but for my binoculars. I have a pair of Steiners that have rubber gurads around the eyepiece to block out peripheral light and the damn things always fog up.
    Regards
    There used to be stuff on one of those TV buy channels that had a product called Astonish. It was for cleaning clothes and removing stains but it also stopped glass fogging up.

Google it and see if you can get it - it works well.

And no doubt if you put 'anti-fogging' into google you will get dozens more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

try a tiny dab of shaving foam to stop it fogging up, works a treat on mirriors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

spideog7 wrote: »
    Regards

not bein funny but if you spit on the lens and wipe it off with a cotton cloth(or your jumper) that always works!!

id be very careful what i rub or put on my scope the coating can easily be rubbed off, i found out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Ah the bit of spit used to use that on swimming goggles !!
    I'll look around, I know the manufacturer have special wipes just wondering if their was anything closer to home. Thanks for you suggestions.

Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement