Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD and avi (divx or xvid) playback on xbox1

Options
  • 29-12-2007 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to softmod an xbox1 and am wondering what kind of playback performance I can expect.

Do avi's (xvid and divx) playback smoothly , and similarly do dvds play back smoothly?

The raw specs would suggest they might not - 64 mb ram seems very little. That said if the graphics card has hardware acceleration then at least dvd's should be smooth.

I've read that its possible to upgrade the ram to 128 mb, is this worthwhile ?

I'm not going to use my xbox1 for gaming much at all, its going to be mainly for dvd's and avi files .

Am I expecting too much of an xbox1?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Its possible to upgrade the xbox RAM if it is an early version IIRC. I cant upgrade my xbox ver 1.6.

Divx and DVD playback is seamless. Only one noteworthy avi/divx/xvid file did not play, everything else did. HD movies are stuttery and unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its plays back all Xvid and DVDs perfectly, never had an issue with any of these. Its better than most standalone DVD players.
    Ram upgrade not worth it and unless you have access to 10K BGA soldering machine, its not for home upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

as said above, it's great for xvid's etc and Xbox media center (xbmc) looks great on it

RAM upgrades would probably cause more problems that any advantages

The only upgrade needed is a large harddrive if you want to store your xvids on it.

search xbox media center or xbmc on youtube and theres bound to be videos of it action

Theres nothing close to it on a PC even thought PC's are so powerful now and that tells you how great it is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Got it all installed today and popped XBMC on there and have to admit, I'm totally BLOWN_AWAY!!

I cannot believe how good this is. It plays everything I have.
    I was going to put in a bigger hard drive but now no need to bother, everything plays perfectly over the network as is. Even dvd img files play flawlessly, hrhd play perfect, I'm amazed to put it frankly.
    Tomorrow I'm going to skin it and mess about with fancy icons and stuff, right now am just having too much fun using it!

Best 60 euro I ever spent :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Network sharing is teh l33t. I really would love a second xbox downstairs. But beggars cant be choosers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement