Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator noise

Options
  • 29-12-2007 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've noticed this year that a certain radiator makes a pinging noise, similar to the sound of the pipe being struck with a metal object, every few minutes when the heating is on. Does anyone know whta it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be simply noise being made by expansion of the pipework. I find that it's more prominent on older systems where the pipework is copper rather than Qualpex, etc that is used in more modern installations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

crosstownk wrote: »
    It could be simply noise being made by expansion of the pipework. I find that it's more prominent on older systems where the pipework is copper rather than Qualpex, etc that is used in more modern installations.

Crosstown ,just to let you know . Copper is used in modern heating installations on building sites of reputable builders.

There are "plumbers" who would have people believe ,that qualpex is used because of the creaking problem.
    The noise you are discussing only occurs with copper ,when the heating system is not installed correctly ,or guntered into position.

Most common cause of creaking is ,when the pipework is tight within the joists or tight coming from an opening in the floor to the radiator.

Qualpex has no effect here ,because the pipe does the moving and not the wood.

We renovated two house completely on waterloo road ,both completely in copper. By request of the owner. No creaks ,no sounds ,both 5 storey houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Crosstown ,just to let you know . Copper is used in modern heating installations on building sites of reputable builders.

I'm sure it is - but qualpex seems to be the pipework of choice in most modern builds.
    _Brian_ wrote:
    There are "plumbers" who would have people believe ,that qualpex is used because of the creaking problem.
    The noise you are discussing only occurs with copper ,when the heating system is not installed correctly ,or guntered into position.

I've had these noises with a 'flexible' system installed in a previous house.

I take on board what you are saying, and most of the noises in my house occoured after the electrician lifted the boards to do a rewire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for the replies. The system is about two and a half years old and I recently had some radiators upgraded from single panel to double. The radiator in question did not need the inlet/pipes bending to allow for the extra depth as it was just a case of turning the wall bracker around to compensate for it.

On one of the other radiators it did involve having to bend the pipes forward though, and this radiator is adjacent to the 'banging' one. The plumber didn't want to bend the pipes but there was no way around it; there is approximately a one inch differential between the bottom of the pipe where it exits the floor and the top where it is connected to the TRV.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just as an FYI, I've been told by my heating engineer that qualpex is great in certain situations, but copper is still the way to go for long term benefit although he never elabarated exactly why. He's in the game a long time and knows his stuff tho'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

I'm not familiar with qualpex is it only used down south? whats different about it? I work up north

Advertisement