Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collar on cat?

Options
  • 29-12-2007 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering is it a good idea to put a collar and id tag on a cat?

While its no problem with dogs I often think cats hate having collars on as it prevents them grooming themselves properly and cats place so much importance on keeping themselves properly groomed.

Also they go rambling through briar's etc and could easily get snagged up by a collar?

Any opinions? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I am just wondering is it a good idea to put a collar and id tag on a cat?

While its no problem with dogs I often think cats hate having collars on as it prevents them grooming themselves properly and cats place so much importance on keeping themselves properly groomed.

Also they go rambling through briar's etc and could easily get snagged up by a collar?

Any opinions? :confused:

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I've heard mixed reports from people. Alot belive the collars are bad because they could get caught on something. My mum put a collar with a bell on her cat to scare the birds away as she'd had too many dead ones left on her doorstep as presents - it was very effect and the cat seems none the worse for it.

My worry is I'm moving to a new house [buying my first house :D] And while my cat is mainly indoors, I do let her out in the back, she doesn't like to go very far but as she is super friendly I worry someone in the new estate might pick her up. I know its slim as anyone with any sense would see shes not a stray. I currently have a collar with a reflective band on it that I put one when I let her out but take it off once shes back inside.

I am taking her to be micro chipped on thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bambi!

Just use a safety collar, it has elastic so if its gets caught up the cat can get free

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

most pet shops sell safety collars where the clasp opens if its pulled, so if the cat gets caught up it just opens. if a cat twists when stuck on something, the elastic collars can snag and tighten around there neck, also, in my experience, cats have too little trouble getting out of the elastic collars (unless entwined on something)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep, I think they call them break away collars. Probably the best ones to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

It's a good idea to put a collar on your cat, but make sure it's a cat collar that can breakaway - they either have a special breakaway clasp or they have a small rubber band sewn in so that it will break if caught.

You can get a ID tag for your cat, or you can get an embroidered cat collar (see http://www.luckypet.com/ ) I've gotten two of the embroidered collars for me cats. I've found they're brilliant - they had accidently sent out a dog collar (no rubber band), and I had sent them an email and they sent out a new one straight away - no hassle with having to try to send it back. Their ID tags are good too - I found that my local pet shop wasn't able to fit as much information as I would like on the tags (perhaps in the states they had better laser engraving machines?).

It's always best to microchip your cat as well in case the collar breaks off :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

I think for one if you love your cat then you should defo. have him/her chipped. I think everyone should have there pet chipped. Especially cats because they wander and r more inclinded to have a accident and if so and there brought to the vet,it will be scanned and you will get a call so you know were your beloved pet is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I got my cat chipped yesterday but as usual could not find the break away collars you described locally so will try out that link - thanks gethappy man. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Profound apologies in advance for the thread drift but couldn't let this pass...

"Alfasudcrazy"

Is that a reference to the car? PM reply probably best :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Also its good to have a collar on your cat because you want people to know its owned by someone. A lady I know thinks her cat was taken by an exterminator that someone called. It went missing the same day he came to lay traps in the gardens behind her house. And with so many wild cats about now, I've heard of some (evil) people even putting down poisoned food for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Hi,
    Most cat books recommend a collar. Have you tried any websites aswell? There should be some selling the break-away collars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

www.kittycollars.co.uk

I meant to order from these before but never got around to it. Delivery to ireland is £6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Any cat I've ever had hated collars. I think get starting them early would be easier because grown-up cats don't take kindly to new superfluous clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Oilrig wrote: »
    Profound apologies in advance for the thread drift but couldn't let this pass...

"Alfasudcrazy"

Is that a reference to the car? PM reply probably best :o

Yep - here are my three Alfasuds - I have 7 other cars as well. :rolleyes:

aa5.jpg
    sud41.jpg
    IMAG0061528x396.jpg

Advertisement