Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Mobile Broadband?

Options
  • 29-12-2007 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm new to this board so hopefully ye can help me! I'm in college in Dublin, living in Drumcondra area and don't have internet in the flat. I was thinking about investing in Vodafone broadband as it's half price at the moment (€50 for the device and something like €15 a month for connection) I checked up the coverage in the area and it seems fine. I get alot of assignments and need the internet so just wondering what ye think of that subscription? Is it worth it?

Thanks a million!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Go with o2 if you can, this is coming from someone who has had all three 3G broadband services, next in line would be vodafone...............you wont get anyone to recommend Three's offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Molly007

Not sure if the modem i have is what you are talking about, _I paid 100 euros for the device before Christmas and its 15 a month for first three months and 30 after that i think. So probably the same thing. I'm a bit bitter if they're selling it now half price!!!! Anyway i have been using it in Co Kilkenny over the hols and the coverage isnt wonderful but its still really handy as there is no broadband where i was staying and dial-up is just so inconvenient, plus no-one can use the phone when you're on the net. So yes I would definitely recommend the mobile modem. It installed easily on laptop (with Vista) and after two weeks use I have used 2.2 gigs download which means I should manage to stay within the 5 gigs a month download limit. (It gets expensive to exceed the 5 gigs so watch that). Drumcondra should have much better coverage, - check the vodafone/ mobile broadband website to check).

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Thanks, that' great!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However the OECD regards it as Flat Rate Mobile Internet. Not Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Hey OP

I was in the same boat a couple of months ago and wanted to get mobile broadband so i could use it at college in dublin and take it home with me at the weekend. All of the operators give a trial period so use it. vodafone and three give 14 days, o2 give 7days.
    I tried three first because they are the cheapest and i stuck with them, they do have some problems (might not be great for gaming or downloading) but for what i do, browsing for college assignments and youtube, its grand. gives me more money to spend in quinns during the week ;)

anyway, my opinion would be to try all three and get the one your most happy with, coverage wise. 02 and three have a 12month contract with 10gbs cap, vodafone is an 18 month contract with only 5gb usage cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

One thing to remember here is, you get what you pay for, its most definitely the case with Three.

As watty says, its not real broadband, you need to have a fixed outdoor antenna for it to be classed as BB. It is however a much better alternative to Dial up, its great if you move around the country and the like.

Just as a note, O2 are not to harsh on the cap, if you go over they wont charge you, as long as you dont go mad. Vodafone will come around knocking on your door for the money and Three will get the Indian mafia to call.

Advertisement