Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[House for Sale] Thailand

Options
  • 30-12-2007 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

hi i'm selling my home in north east thailand buriram

offers a wonderful opportunity for the discerning purchaser to acquire a substantial 3-bedroom 2-bathroom detached family home with enormous potential. this house offers spacious well-appointed accommodation throughout with the added bonus of a garage to the side and large southeast facing rear garden . Ideally located, in a very popular residential location. of buriram city

This fine house is close to every imaginable amenity. which will bring you to all parts of the capital. There are local shops and pubs and the house is also near bigger shopping centre Girls and boys schools, catering for every age are within walking or cycling distance, and the property is also in close proximity to an array of differing sport and leisure facilities and clubs, catering for nearly every athletic and leisure discipline.
    Features

aircondition

Garage to side

Large south east facing rear garden

Spacious accommodation throughout.

Wonderful location.

Ample parking.

ENTRANCE PORCH

Tiled flooring throughout

KITCHEN/BREAKFAST ROOM

Extensive range of built in presses with countertops. Stainless steel sink unit. Plumbed for washing machine. Door to rear garden. Door to Garage.

asking price : 1.7 million bath or 40,600 euro aprox
    if intrested drop me a message and i email you some photos of our home
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Can we arrange a viewing for Monday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

remo2 wrote: »
    asking price : 1.7 million bath or 40,600 euro aprox

Is that the same as baht? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

hi i'm selling my home in north east thailand buriram

Couple of points here, foreigners (farang) cannot legitimately own property outright in Thailand. Secondly there are a large amount of property scams or just dodgy contracts that if examined mean you lose whatever you had. And third, the country has recently been taken over by the military, and although its a fairly regular occurrence, this time looks a bit more dubious.

Here are the ways you can legitimately get into the property market in Thailand:
    • A foreigner can own a condominum as long as less than 40% of the condos or apartments in the building are owned by foreigners. (This is an old law.)
    • A company can own property such as land and a house (and hence the foreigner can buy land and a house via their company) as long as no one foreigner owns more that 39% of the company (recently amended from 33%) and total foreign ownership of the company does not exceed 49%.
    • The Thai wife of a foreigner can own property (a recently changed legal status due to gender equality in the new 1997 constitution revision), in her name only. This is fine as long as you don't have marital problems. (The same, of course, goes for a Thai husband, but the law was changed recently for Thai wives due to the new constitution guaranteeing equal rights.)
    • A foreigner can lease land for 30 years, with an option for another 30 years, according to articles in the press and as confirmed by lawyers. This is referred to as the 2x30 ("two times 30") option.
    One additional note about the leasing option, you can be caught out by the taxes, which require a 1.5% payment on the cost of the full 30 year term of the lease, in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

[*]A company can own property such as land and a house (and hence the foreigner can buy land and a house via their company) as long as no one foreigner owns more that 39% of the company (recently amended from 33%) and total foreign ownership of the company does not exceed 49%.
    I met someone who has done the above - but don't understand fully how he has done it without risk of getting scammed. He said it was easy - thai solicitor arranged the other company 'directors' - people who get a couple hundred euro - who don't know the foreigner - nor does he know them.

I just couldn't get my head round how he had protected himself against getting ripped? This guy was no fool so he obviously had some protection built into this somehow...just can't grasp how...

baguio wrote: »
    I met someone who has done the above - but don't understand fully how he has done it without risk of getting scammed. He said it was easy - thai solicitor arranged the other company 'directors' - people who get a couple hundred euro - who don't know the foreigner - nor does he know them.

I just couldn't get my head round how he had protected himself against getting ripped? This guy was no fool so he obviously had some protection built into this somehow...just can't grasp how...
    The simple answer is he hasn't done it without the risk of being scammed, although he may think he has. Ninety percent of the time, even though a lot of contracts are dodgy, they won't be examined by the authorities any more than they would be elsewhere. Depending on that for protection, however, is not a great idea in my opinion, especially in the increasingly wobbly political climate there, with the ailing health of the King.

Another thing to note is that unless your friend can read Thai, he probably doesn't know exactly how legal those documents were, or what the relevant statutes are (except from the lawyer, who is getting paid one way or the other).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Ninety percent of the time, even though a lot of contracts are dodgy, they won't be examined by the authorities any more than they would be elsewhere. Depending on that for protection, however, is not a great idea in my opinion, especially in the increasingly wobbly political climate there, with the ailing health of the King.
    I was thinking more in terms of the reliability of the other 'directors' that the solicitor has organised. Do they not have the ability to shaft him?

baguio wrote: »
    I was thinking more in terms of the reliability of the other 'directors' that the solicitor has organised. Do they not have the ability to shaft him?
    Well since it's the solicitor who organised the deal, he's the only link between the other directors. Who knows, maybe he'll have a lean year in 2008 and slip them a few hundred euros more to sign over the deeds to him. Whatever may happen, your friend is probably safe, but he has little to no legal standing to back him up in case of ownership issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭remo2

well as i own this house in thailand not everything over in thailand is a scam it worked out fine for me nore is it giving out handfulls of money to solicitors in all it cost me under 60 euro to get it sorted and i would be happy to help any foreigner to get it sorted out the same way i did

i got myself a good solicitor who did out a binding contract for me and my thai wife saying that i can sell the house whenever i want. kinda like a prenuptial

the contract is so that if i wanna sell the house and my wife refuses i can bring her to court to reclam the moneys on the house

thats it in a nut shell

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

the contract is so that if i wanna sell the house and my wife refuses i can bring her to court to reclam the moneys on the house

thats it in a nut shell

cheers

That's cool, so.

I'll buy it, the rest of yiz can get your jollies elsewhere. In a nut shell.

well as i own this house in thailand not everything over in thailand is a scam
    Well strictly speaking your wife owns it. And yes, most of the time things work out just fine, don't get me wrong. I've found the Thais generally to be a very friendly and open people, although as I mentioned the military have been adjusting the laws lately in a way that has been causing ripples of concern among the international business community, which bodes ill. Their platform is protecting local Thai interests from foreign groups, more fallout from the Thaksin scandal. How far that will go is anyones guess.
    i got myself a good solicitor who did out a binding contract for me and my thai wife saying that i can sell the house whenever i want. kinda like a prenuptial

Just because you have a contract, doesn't mean its particularly legally binding. You could bring her to court, you could show your contract to the officials, and you could very easily lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Most likely that's not completely legally watertight, but might work with a nice wife. You just have to hope that the wife doesn't turn nasty at some point, as I don't believe it would stand up in court.

Most foreigners with Thai wives arrange the purchase of the house so, that the land on which the house stands is owned by the wife, and the house that stands on the land is owned by the husband (as a 30 or 60 year leasehold).

That way he cannot lose the house even after a divorce or accident to the wife, even though he can't legally own the land on which the house stands.

But the whole area is a big grey area in thailand, and there are so many ways to get around the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, do we have to bring our own Thai wife or do we have to buy your one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Victor wrote: »
    So, do we have to bring our own Thai wife or do we have to buy your one?

Isn't she included in the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Someone PMed my on my last comment. I was being sarcastic. I am not suggesting someone or anyone is for sale or should be sold.

My point was that one would really need a Thai spouse or partners that one trusts very well.

Victor wrote: »
    I am not suggesting someone or anyone is for sale or should be sold.
    Aww. Have you got a link to the "human traffic: how to get started" forum so? I thought it might be in Bargain Alerts, but not so much.

Sensayumor knob in your forebrains people, turn it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

My wife is Thai and we lived there for 8 years.
    On purchasing property in Thailand one should consider as well as property laws the fact that foreigners need to meet visa laws which change on aregular basis. Either you get a visa based on your wife being thai or you get a retirement visa based on proven regular income or a lump sum left untouched in a Thai bank. Visas to be renewed every year.
    Buriram (where house is for sale) is in a very nice rural part or the North east (the poorest part of Thailand). You either love it or hate it there.
    I can think of few better places to retire. people live differently, but I could live there happily on 500 euro a month.
    So, while I would consider the property laws and visa laws retiring to Thailand is very attractive to some.
    Any one interested should look at Thaivisa.com and go to forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Did any of you see the program on television lately about Thai women? Apparently it is a status symbol for any Thai woman to get a foreign husband and build/buy a big house in their home village. The women actively seek out foreign men and are desperate to marry them. Girls even choose to work as bar girls (prostitutes) in the resort areas, in order to meet foreign men, in the hope that one of them will become a boyfriend and eventually husband. It may not exactly be true love so be careful of this. Owning a house with a woman who has effectively married you for menetary security (even if you're not wealthy, any money at all is more than a Thai man has) and as a status symbol could be quite risky.

By the way, this documentary was on very recently (December). I think it was part of a two or three part series called "My Boyfriend The Sex Tourist" (or similar) but I can't remember the channel it was on (one of the main UK channels (BBC/UTV/Channel 4)).

EDIT: It was Channel 4. Here's a little intro on the program:
    http://www.channel4sales.com/programming/c4/seasonal?genre=19

dame wrote: »
    Did any of you see the program on television lately about Thai women? Apparently it is a status symbol for any Thai woman to get a foreign husband and build/buy a big house in their home village. The women actively seek out foreign men and are desperate to marry them. Girls even choose to work as bar girls (prostitutes) in the resort areas, in order to meet foreign men, in the hope that one of them will become a boyfriend and eventually husband. It may not exactly be true love so be careful of this. Owning a house with a woman who has effectively married you for menetary security (even if you're not wealthy, any money at all is more than a Thai man has) and as a status symbol could be quite risky.
    Replace the word "foreign" with "wealthy" in your post and I'm not too sure how it differs from the attitude of many women in most places (except the prostitute element, and the Thais have more relaxed views on that than most). Despite that, it is quite possible to have a fulfilling and real relationship with a woman from these areas. My own wife is not Thai, by the way.

But yes, caveat emptor on buying property in the third world, however you do it.

Replace the word "foreign" with "wealthy" in your post and I'm not too sure how it differs from the attitude of many women in most places (except the prostitute element, and the Thais have more relaxed views on that than most). Despite that, it is quite possible to have a fulfilling and real relationship with a woman from these areas. My own wife is not Thai, by the way.

But yes, caveat emptor on buying property in the third world, however you do it.

Not necessarily. I know two Irish men with Thai wives. Both of them met their wives on holiday, in Thailand. Neither man is rich, or even well-to-do, by Irish/European standards. In fact, one of them would be the type of man any Irish woman would steer well clear of. History of violence, recovering alcoholic, has never been much good at holding down a job, etc. The other is just plain ugly.

even if you're not wealthy, any money at all is more than a Thai man has
    Its all relative, isn't it... I doubt, however, that the (at least two) posters in this thread with Thai wives appreciate the implication that their wives were prostitutes, or that they are somehow less attractive than other men.

There are many perfectly nice women in Thailand and in most countries, and equally there are many perfectly normal, decent men who marry them. The idea that the majority of them (or even a significant number of them) are deficient in some way is ill informed at best.

• Advertisement

Right, so personal experience of knowing two Irish-Thai couples is ill-informed? :rolleyes:

Right, so personal experience of knowing two Irish-Thai couples is ill-informed? :rolleyes:
    If there were three Irish-Thai couples in the world, I'd say no, thats very informed. But there are thousands of Irish-Thai couples, leaving a whole range of choice adjectives to describe your opinion, but we'll stick to ill-informed. Or are the majority of those filthy lecherous whoremongers in your mind?

Don't believe everything you see on the telly.

There are thousands of all-sorts-of-nationalities-Thai marriages. Very few female-all-sorts-of-nationalities-Thai-man marriages.

Fact, Thai wife owning the property leaves foreign husband at a huge disadvantage in the event of a divorce. Fact.

By the way, your second last sentence makes absolutely no sense.

Very few female-all-sorts-of-nationalities-Thai-man marriages.
    Well as you said, Thai men are very poor...

Advertisement