Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is getting a new car next week

Options
  • 30-12-2007 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone out there who cant wait for next week to finally get their hands on that new car that has kept them awake these past few weeks dreaming about the pleasure that this will bring them, let us know what you are buying if only to make us green with envy. I promise that I will not post any derogatory comments about what you are buying and I would ask everyone not to make any comments about whether it was a good or bad decision in their opionion.
    let us know as much information about your deal as you think is reasonable so that we can benifit from your experience to help us in our future dealings.
    Good luck to everyone that is taking delivery next week ,I hope you really enjoy the experience of having an 08 on your driveway.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

How about getting the ball rolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

Audi A5 3.0TDI Quattro....on the 3rd Jan:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭keitht

Im tradeing in my ford focus H/B 1.4 cl 02 it has 76,0000 miles. Im getting the Mazda 3 saloon 1.6 comfort is 21,9000. im getting it on the 2nd jan 2008 jan. Its costing me 14.400 whit the focus
    do you think this is a good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Getting a car but not a 08 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

keitht wrote: »
    Im tradeing in my ford focus H/B 1.4 cl 02 it has 76,0000 miles. Im getting the Mazda 3 saloon 1.6 comfort is 21,9000. im getting it on the 2nd jan 2008 jan. Its costing me 14.400 whit the focus
    do you think this is a good.

On this thread every deal is good, if you are happy then we are happy. Best of luck with your new mazda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

oilsheik wrote: »
    Will that not be cheaper to buy and tax from 1st of July?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

How does that work?

Unfortunately, got an 07 car this year so 08 will not be bringing a new car to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jonnygee wrote: »
    Is there anyone out there who cant wait for next week to finally get their hands on that new car that has kept them awake these past few weeks dreaming about the pleasure that this will bring them, let us know what you are buying if only to make us green with envy. I promise that I will not post any derogatory comments about what you are buying and I would ask everyone not to make any comments about whether it was a good or bad decision in their opionion.
    let us know as much information about your deal as you think is reasonable so that we can benifit from your experience to help us in our future dealings.
    Good luck to everyone that is taking delivery next week ,I hope you really enjoy the experience of having an 08 on your driveway.

erm maybe you can help me out here, what exactly is the experience of having a 08?

i own a 01 bmw 530i, if some one took it and gave me a 08 vw golf 1.4 i would be having a very bad experience ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Cyrus wrote: »
    erm maybe you can help me out here, what exactly is the experience of having a 08?

i own a 01 bmw 530i, if some one took it and gave me a 08 vw golf 1.4 i would be having a very bad experience ;)

The "experience" of having an 08 in your driveway ..... only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

C_Breeze wrote: »
    The "experience" of having an 08 in your driveway ..... only in Ireland :rolleyes:

Cant say I understand the new car experience. I have had two new cars in my life and I have to admit the most exciting is getting a better car not necessarily a newer one.

But dont get me wrong everybody best of luck to all collecting brand new motors - drive safe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Unfortunately, the experience of the '08' is probably mostly to do with when it's in the driveway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

JHMEG wrote: »
    Will that not be cheaper to buy and tax from 1st of July?

It will be cheaper from July...but it's a company car so my hard earned isn't on the table...it was ordered in early Oct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mmurphy

i would love to change my wheels for a new 08 Where is the best Mitsubishi Dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i wish i could get my hands on one of them audi R8's but meh , ill most likely just be getting another banger or two during '08 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Getting a car but not a 08 :(
    Im in the same boat. Now all I have to do is decide on how much I want to spend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Dream car at the mo. How much? Any cool extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Unfortunately, the experience of the '08' is probably mostly to do with when it's in the driveway...

QFT. But then again, I say long may it continue.. gives the rest of us a lot of 2nd hand cars to choose from in the next few years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It'll cost you less to own than the Citroen when resale and repair bills are considered. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

It will be cheaper from July...but it's a company car so my hard earned isn't on the table...it was ordered in early Oct.

True, but you'll be paying BIK against the higher list price of the pre-July '08 version etc. and as there is no sliding scale on depreciation for BIK purposes, you're lumbered with it for whatever the length of the lease etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

jrar wrote: »
    True, but you'll be paying BIK against the higher list price of the pre-July '08 version etc. and as there is no sliding scale on depreciation for BIK purposes, you're lumbered with it for whatever the length of the lease etc.
    Technically for this perticular car he is better VRT-wise to buy it pre-July. It has a CO2 rating of 191 g/km which means it would attract a 32% VRT rate post July as opposed to the 30% it currently is.

With the current rate the car costs less & hence the BIK will be less.

• Advertisement

Here is a just a bit of my car history, I dont want to give my age away by telling too much.
    1989 new opel corsa
    1991 new citroen zx
    1993 new citroen zx, with power steering. good as a jag.
    1994 new honda civic saloon, like driving a brick.
    1995 new mazda 323 saloon
    1996 new 323f hatchback, sportiest car in town
    1997 another 323f in silver, best car design ever
    1998 another 323f, getting a bit old for this now
    1999 new focus 1.4 lx, a bit underpowered
    2000 new focus 1.6 lx, the perfect car
    2002 new focus 1.6 lx again in silver, beautiful
    2005 new model focus 1.6 zetec, cant buy better
    2008 tdci order cancelled due to green party intervention.
    I remember every time I changed the car that there were certain people who would call me mad for buying new cars , "your mad buying new cars" they would say, "loses a fortune as soon as you drive it out the garage door, a waste of good money"
    So I would say nothing for a while and then would change the subject and look into the sky and say to them "what would you do if you won the lotto tonight?"
    The first thing they would all do is buy a new Merc.
    You see the experience of a new car doesnt come from just driving it, that is mostly it but it is also when you wash it on a saturday morning and look out the window at it sitting gleaming on your driveway and you get a feeling of pleasure that somehow justifies all the money you have spent. that makes it worthwhile.
    If you can afford to buy a new car but havent yet, try it , you,ll enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

We had a new car once. Which was enough to learn our lesson. Now I get a nice feeling by looking out the window at the cars, and thinking of all that money we've saved by not buying new, and what we'll spend the money on instead. Both our cars are in showroom condition and both cost less than half the price of a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Here is a just a bit of my car history, I dont want to give my age away by telling too much.
    1989 new opel corsa
    1991 new citroen zx
    Let me guess. You are 35-40 years old, and got married in 2001. You never lost that Stephen's Day feeling of waking up and realising you had a new trike/bike/Scalextric set - yippee!

How'd I do?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

1989 new opel corsa
    1991 new citroen zx
    I remember every time I changed the car that there were certain people who would call me mad for buying new cars , "your mad buying new cars" they would say, "loses a fortune as soon as you drive it out the garage door, a waste of good money"
    So I would say nothing for a while and then would change the subject and look into the sky and say to them "what would you do if you won the lotto tonight?"
    The first thing they would all do is buy a new Merc.
    You see the experience of a new car doesnt come from just driving it, that is mostly it but it is also when you wash it on a saturday morning and look out the window at it sitting gleaming on your driveway and you get a feeling of pleasure that somehow justifies all the money you have spent. that makes it worthwhile.
    If you can afford to buy a new car but havent yet, try it , you,ll enjoy it.

no offence, and i really mean that,

but if you believe a 1.6 focus is the perfect car and a mazda 323f is the most beautiful car ever maybe you should take a look at second cars that give you more value for money,

for example in what way is a 3yr old well maintained e class mercedes inferior to a brand new one apart from the number on the reg, think about it, theres a whole car world out there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Molly007 wrote: »
    Citroen C4 coupe...But the "2 door" thing was driving me crazy....

I'm feeling the 3 door thing but most 5 door hatches are just far too sensible and boring but the Civic and leon are among the few exceptions.

Why do they call them a coupe??? There's a few hatchbacks at the moment calling themselves coupes.

Mrs Buckets hatchback is now Mrs Bouquet's coupe:D

I won't buy a new til I can get a brand new version of the 10ish year old cars I drive at the moment. I believe my '98 A6 is every bit as good as the day it left the factory and cost the equivalent of about €75k or something like that.

I'm not a fan of new for new's sake truth be told.

If I had a new hatch budget, i'd go and buy this http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=446624

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I won't be getting a 08, but I can assure you, all over the world people are getting brand new cars, its not just an Irish thing... :rolleyes:

esel wrote: »
    Let me guess. You are 35-40 years old, and got married in 2001. You never lost that Stephen's Day feeling of waking up and realising you had a new trike/bike/Scalextric set - yippee!

How'd I do?

Sorry, you,re not even close, no more guesses allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

lightening wrote: »
    I won't be getting a 08, but I can assure you, all over the world people are getting brand new cars, its not just an Irish thing... :rolleyes:

Most don't pay as much as we do though. Is it any wonder that half the decent cars in Ireland need several years of depreciation on UK roads before they come here.

Polish workmates tell me that because of their weak currency, most new cars are unaffordable so most are 2nd hand German imports. Sounds familiar doesn't it? People buying new hatches for the same price as a house deposit confuses me sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Moonstone

I am changing early in 08, still looking, maybe wait for the ads to start so I can see what deals there are. Any ideas ?

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    no offence, and i really mean that,

but if you believe a 1.6 focus is the perfect car and a mazda 323f is the most beautiful car ever maybe you should take a look at second cars that give you more value for money,

for example in what way is a 3yr old well maintained e class mercedes inferior to a brand new one apart from the number on the reg, think about it, theres a whole car world out there

Yeah, I would,nt argue with you about that, it was just a sort of a habit I got into during the nineties, you see i was able to change every year for around about 1500-1800 punts, new car sales were slow and deals were easy enough got, all that changed after 00 though.

Advertisement