Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is getting a new car next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

cantdecide wrote: »
    People buying new hatches for the same price as a house deposit confuses me sometimes.

Maybe they can afford it, to them its not a house deposit, its their budget for a car.

ah... I got you cantdecide, if they are over 30, living with their parents and buying hatchbacks with their house deposits, yes they are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

lightening wrote: »
    Maybe they can afford it, to them its not a house deposit, its their budget for a car.

But if they have €25,000 to spend on a car and arrive home with a base model hatch, it's hardly been a good day's shopping has it? It's poor value for money IMO and 100% avoidable.

There are all kinds of cars for all kinds of situations and simply picking up a hatchyback for almost twice what it's worth isn't my idea of fun. Good old 'come up the years' has been responsible for the loss of many a nest egg.

I don't mean anything by this but I'd love to see the reaction to shag all new private car sales and another glut of used UK imports for the rebelling masses.

Good old 'come up the years' has been responsible for the loss of many a nest egg.

I don't mean anything by this....

I understand, I see exactly where you are coming from. I bought a new car in 06, they were just out, and I really wanted one. I could afford it, I was in a very good position to get it, so I did! (probably wouldn't do it again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I'd prefer to let someone else take the massive hit in devaluation in the first year.

You can get much better bang for your buck on a second hand car. I also find alot of people spend as much as they can on the car but don't factor in maintenence costs at all and end up skimping on this part.

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    and end up skimping on this part.

Yeah! Saw a Porchse Cayanne with out of date insurance and bald tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Is it just me or is there an undercurrent of dislike for people here who buy new cars? I'd say there's a fair chance that most people who buy new cars are aware that they are going to take a huge hit on depreciation for the first couple of years, but still they decide to go ahead with it. Also once you decide that you are buying a new car it would take an awful lot of persuasion to change their mind into buying one thats a couple of years old.

I dont want to kick off an argument here - its just something I have sensed on a couple of threads.

Anyway best of luck to anyone who is getting a new motor

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I used to buy new cars but not anymore as I realised I was personally wasting money which seems more wrong as you get older (for me anyway). :(

But I say if you want a brand new one then go out and get it. It means there are better bargins on the second hand market in years to come. Remember without new car sales there would be little or no second hand ones available so long may it continue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I normally change cars in March. I'm fortunate that depreciation doesn't hurt me financially.

This year I'll be changing post June. Back to diesel. The new Kuga looks tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

TheBazman wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there an undercurrent of dislike for people here who buy new cars? I'd say there's a fair chance that most people who buy new cars are aware that they are going to take a huge hit on depreciation for the first couple of years, but still they decide to go ahead with it. Also once you decide that you are buying a new car it would take an awful lot of persuasion to change their mind into buying one thats a couple of years old.

I dont want to kick off an argument here - its just something I have sensed on a couple of threads.

Anyway best of luck to anyone who is getting a new motor

not at all, i suppose its personal preference, for me, right now (and probably forever) it does not make sense.

For example i know you are looking at a 535d, if i had your budget id be thinking, well i can get a 2 yr old e60m5 with 30,000 miles on it.

i know thats not the most practical example but you get the idea, personally i cannot understand people spending 20 odd k on a 1.4 litre golf, i just dont get it, but then i suppose it isnt my money!

im just a cranky (still young!) accountant, dont mind me :D

• Advertisement

It makes 100% sense to buy that new golf as long as you don't mention the elephant in the room that is the initial outlay.

Simply put, by spending more on running and less on purchase price (ie, buy used) with thes same budget you can increase value for money many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I want to change RIGHT NOW but as the car i'm after is a Mazda 6 diesel there should be at least a couple of grand knocked off the price in July when the VRT changes kick-in.

Anyhows the diesel 6 isn't on the market 'til March...

Never bought new before and may not this time if I change my mind - the timing of the VRT switchover is not suiting me. Not too bothered about the number-plate on a car (honestly!) - that's mainly the preserve of sad old people who change their 1.4 saloons every 2 years. And even sadder younger people who change their BMW/Audi/Merc every year and are up to their neck in repayments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    Will that not be cheaper to buy and tax from 1st of July?

JHMEG is both right and wrong oilrig. The 3.0 A5 will be in the 32% VRT category from July(compared to 30% now), however it will cost €1,000 to tax then, compared to ~€1,300 now. Of course 2007's International engine of the year costs around the same and is also in the same VRT bracket post July too(BMW 335i). It must be someway good at the very leasy, since we have a mod on VAG drivers who posts here driving one (MarkN);).

As for the new car vs old car thing, I think many people have more money than sense when it comes to buying new cars. Lots of people buy the bottom of the range bog spec cars, "cause they're the cheapest one to buy and run".

If they were smart they would change less often and buy the same car with a bigger engine and more kit but change less often. I've nothing against and indeed am all for people who buy top of the range cars, like oilrig buying a 3.0 A5 instead of the base 1.8T A5, but the people who 1.6 Avensis, 1.4 Focus and BMW 316is they're the bottom of the range and that by definition means they are not the best version of the car available I can't understand why they don't just wait a year, save some money and buy a 1.6 Focus, 1.8/diesel Avensis and 320i/d etc instead all in a higher spec version as well.

I think the sadder of the 2 are the 1.4 crowd. Most don't even know what they're doing. Those indulging their car fantasies know exactly what they're doing and all the good reasons why they should be driving new 1.4 saloon instead.

Molly007 wrote: »
    I'm getting my new Civic next week, - trading in my beloved Citroen C4 coupe which I loved. But the "2 door" thing was driving me crazy and it had a lot of little niggly faults so I'm being real sensible and not going for another one. It was 3 years old, - ok its a bit extravagant but I dont smoke or do coke and I need some joy in my life. Drive safely......

For the love of God, could you not just wait till July? The Civic will be in the 16% VRT category(compared to 22.5% now) then and will only cost €150 to tax per annum if you wait. A Civic registered before July is going to be worth less than one after not to mention the fact that it will be quite a bit cheaper to buy as well.

A new Civic 1.4 should cost €21,840 after July(assuming Honda don't trouser the VRT difference), compared to €23,670 now.

I think the sadder of the 2 are the 1.4 crowd. Most don't even know what they're doing. Those indulging their car fantasies know exactly what they're doing and all the good reasons why they should be driving new 1.4 saloon instead.

While I agree with you that that is pretty sad, the saddest bunch are the 316i brigade. If you're buying a 316i, 1.6 A4 etc you're buying a car because of the badge and not because of what it is IMO. If you say you do like cars then you would have bought a larger engined one like say a 320i or a 2.0 A4 that might be say a year or 2 old at the same price as your new 316i or 1.6 A4.

If you are buying a 316i for the love of God just save the money and buy a well equipped Accord or Avensis or Mondeo etc(in any event those cars are very good in their own right anyway), or else spend the extra and get a bigger engine(especuially these cars where they only bring in the small engine because of our soon to be replaced VRT system, they don't sell them in UK for instance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Will be changing soon but don't know what to get.The A5 as a company car sounds good. :)

E92 wrote: »
    While I agree with you that that is pretty sad, the saddest bunch are the 316i brigade. If you're buying a 316i, 1.6 A4 etc you're buying a car because of the badge and not because of what it is IMO. If you say you do like cars then you would have bought a larger engined one like say a 320i or a 2.0 A4 that might be say a year or 2 old at the same price as your new 316i or 1.6 A4.

If you are buying a 316i for the love of God just save the money and buy a well equipped Accord or Avensis or Mondeo etc(in any event those cars are very good in their own right anyway), or else spend the extra and get a bigger engine(especuially these cars where they only bring in the small engine because of our soon to be replaced VRT system, they don't sell them in UK for instance).

As a general rule, you should get a top spec car for your budget. A new 316 makes me weep every time.

Top spec accords, mazda 6s, legacies should be the new BMWs/ mercs in motorist-bashing Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Deal agreed on new 520d,nicely loaded. Expected date of delivery is 15/1/08.Deal now defered to 1-7-08 due to vrt changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

While I agree with you that that is pretty sad, the saddest bunch are the 316i brigade. If you're buying a 316i, 1.6 A4 etc you're buying a car because of the badge and not because of what it is IMO.
    This theory gets a lot of airtime around here and I, for one, don't agree with it. I've driven a few E90 316is and, while not fast, they are a very good car. You may like fast cars and so do I, but that does not mean that bhp is top of every buyers list. The build quality and simple feel on the road of a 316i may be enough reason for some buyers to take it over a Mondeo or whatever. If it's quick enough for the way they drive then why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Any of you who think that you are going to reep the full benifit of the vrt changes are mistaken, Ireland has the lowest pre-tax car price of any european country, this was done by the manufacturers to allow new cars to be affordable under the vrt system.

It wont be the importers or the dealers who will be pocketing the difference it will never be seen by anybody in Ireland as all will happen is that the cost will go up for the importer and dealer.

So dont be so quick to wait till july, anyway if your trading in a car dont expect any difference in your cost to change, you have to remember that second hand values are all relative to the cost of the car new so if you cars retail price drops(which it wont) the value of the secnd hand version of the call will drop by the same amount ..

The only benifit you are likly to see from the new system if a lower road tax bill

I think Knife_fighter has a point. I was test driving a 335i before xmas and asked the sales person their view on the VRT changes. He also made the point that as Ireland is one of the cheapest countries for cars pre tax, BMW (and other manafacturers) will take this opportunity to up the price of their motors (ie the ones that would theoretically benefit from the VRT changes). As an aside I thought the 335i would fall into the 36% category and not the 32% like the A5 3.0td

BMW have already standardised the pre tax prices though(in fact the pre tax price of a BMW is already higher than it is in Germany). BMW Ireland's MD has already promised that any VRT saving available in a BMW will be passed on in full to the consumer. That salesman is talking sh1te IMHO for BMW anyway(though other manufacturers are still at this somewhat, however EU Block Exemption has made great strides to standardise pre tax prices) and wants to get a sale before the second quarter in 2008(dealers have monthly sales targets AFAIK, and if they sell a certain number of cars in a given period they get a huge bo9nus from the manufacturer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Getting the new Mitshubishi Lancer on Thursday. I bought it cos it looks nice and has 9 airbags and I liked the test drive a lot.
    Every one is slagging me, saying it's a farmers car, and I'll need a tow bar for the mart.
    sigh
    Do I care? Not a whit, because I'M GETTING A NEW CAR!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

deise-lady wrote: »
    Getting the new Mitshubishi Lancer on Thursday. I bought it cos it looks nice and has 9 airbags and I liked the test drive a lot.
    Every one is slagging me, saying it's a farmers car, and I'll need a tow bar for the mart.
    sigh
    Do I care? Not a whit, because I'M GETTING A NEW CAR!!!!!:D

Yippie! Thats the spirit, forget about the slaggers , they,re green with jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Of course some car lists prices will come down.. Saying the opposite is just mad.

There are a few people on here who begrudge you buying a new car, there is no doubt about that.. If you want to buy a new car it's your own business/money.

Pburns, just cause someone you see on the road in a Merc/BMW/Audi is young doesn't mean they can't afford it.. Good chance they earn more than someone in their 40s and 50s in this day and age.

Anyway, to anyone getting a new car soon enjoy it all.. Driving into the garage and seeing your car parked, gleaming with 08 plates on it, sitting in and getting that whiff of new car smell, having a car that nobody else has picked their nose in, farted in the seat you are sitting in, smoked in... Enjoy it all :)

jonnygee wrote: »
    Yippie! Thats the spirit, forget about the slaggers , they,re green with jealousy.

No, they're not;)

Unless it's an EVO of course...

Tow bar?? Mart?? Is that car 1.3 petrol??? For that budget I would have bought this http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=759176

'New' lasts for few days after which you are now stuck with a rapidly depreciating low end car.

TheBazman wrote:
    As an aside I thought the 335i would fall into the 36% category and not the 32% like the A5 3.0td
    The MY 2008(with EfficientDynamics) 335i pollutes 218 g/km(or 221 with an Autobox), thereby putting it in the 32% VRT and €1,000 road tax.

The MY 2008(with EfficientDynamics) 335i pollutes 218 g/km(or 221 with an Autobox), thereby putting it in the 32% VRT and €1,000 road tax.

Thats very interesting - no real advantage to jumping for one before July then as some of the marginal VRT hike will be offset by lower tax..hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

KNEW I shouldn't have doubted you E92 :D

That is pretty amazing.. so when exactly did the ED engines start? Was there a certain time in 2007 when 2008 models were built?

Not that it matters to me but can't believe the road tax on the 335 is actually going to drop... clever stuff on BMW's part.
    TheBazman wrote: »
    Thats very interesting - no real advantage to jumping for one before July then as some of the marginal VRT hike will be offset by lower tax..hmmm

Just bear in mind Bazman that the current tax on a 335i is E1109 as it's a 2997cc engine. So you can be sure that the 2% increase in VRT is going to be a lot more than 109 quid.

Advertisement