Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is getting a new car next week

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

MarkN wrote: »
    Just bear in mind Bazman that the current tax on a 335i is E1109 as it's a 2997cc engine.
    The motor tax on that will rise to €1230 from February 1st though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

That is also true!! Sorry, I am one step back today..

It'll still be more than 200 quid though so waiting til July is still not going to be worth it on that particular car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

That is also true!! Sorry, I am one step back today..

It'll still be more than 200 quid though so waiting til July is still not going to be worth it on that particular car.

But if my preference was to wait for a year or so then there is no huge rush in buying before July
    Did I hear somewhere that the Efficient Dynamics only works on manual cars? If this is the case will the auto 335i have a higher emmission?

Well the auto has a higher level anyway but as far as I know, the ED engines work by switching off where possible and as a result only manual is available - I could be wrong now, I'm sure E92 will come along and give us the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

cantdecide wrote: »
    No, they're not;)

Unless it's an EVO of course...

Tow bar?? Mart?? Is that car 1.3 petrol??? For that budget I would have bought this http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=759176

'New' lasts for few days after which you are now stuck with a rapidly depreciating low end car.

Of course it,s not a 1.3 petrol, have you been asleep this last few months. doesnt really look like you know much about the new model lancer so best if you dont say too much about it until you check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=75907520051025&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

Ummmmm.... how do you know deise-lady's new purchase is not a 1.3??

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Because the poster said "getting the new mitsubishi lancer" and did not say getting a mitsubishi lancer.

jonnygee wrote: »
    Because the poster said "getting the new mitsubishi lancer" and did not say getting a mitsubishi lancer.

1.3/ 1.5??? Whatever. I know all I need to know about them- I'm not green with envy because somebody's buying one even if it is....................new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

TheBazman wrote: »
    But if my preference was to wait for a year or so then there is no huge rush in buying before July
    Did I hear somewhere that the Efficient Dynamics only works on manual cars? If this is the case will the auto 335i have a higher emmission?

See my post. 218 g/km for a manual box, 221 g/km for an Auto.

You can be certain sure that the price rise will be more than the year's saving on motor tax, but think of it this way, if there were 2 335i's available for sale next year, identical in every way possible bar the fact that one was registered in July and the other was in June, that way one costs €1290 to tax and the other €1,000 to tax, which would you take?

I mean why would you pay an extra €290 to tax the exact same car?

So the post July one is going to be worth more then, because it's going to be €290 cheaper to run every year and naturally this makes it more sellable too.

EfficientDynamics works in both manual and automatic BMWs.

Well the auto has a higher level anyway but as far as I know, the ED engines work by switching off where possible and as a result only manual is available - I could be wrong now, I'm sure E92 will come along and give us the facts.

There is more to it than that! Look here for more info!

And here is BMW's website about what it is and does.
    MarkN wrote:
    That is pretty amazing.. so when exactly did the ED engines start? Was there a certain time in 2007 when 2008 models were built?

Not that it matters to me but can't believe the road tax on the 335 is actually going to drop... clever stuff on BMW's part.

Well the 1 and 5 series got a facelift early on last year. The 3 series was next in September(though we only got them in the last few weeks), and the 6 series is the most recent addition.

The 335i is good, but the 325i will go from 30% VRT to 24% and €1290 tax to €430 tax(330i and 6 cylinder petrol 5 series fall to 28% and €600 road tax), and the 118d goes from 30% VRT and €590 road tax to 14% VRT and only €100 road tax which is bloody fantastic if you can afford a new BMW :D.

• Advertisement

Anyone seen an 08 car yet?

E92 wrote: »

Was going to ask same question!

About the 290 quid tax - at least it is not €2,000 tax for post July Vs €1,000 for pre as it will be in some cases, I think people will live with 290 quid tax difference if they can afford to run a 335 in the first place.

A 335 with idrive and professional sat nav, M sport, right colour etc would probably be more sellable than 290 quid less road tax IMO. (at least that's what I am hoping) :D

Thanks for the links too E92.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Getting a new VW Golf for my old Golf next Monday the 7th! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Just heard I can pick up my 08 at 5pm so I'll be out and about...its the first time I got a new car on the first day available!!:)

The car was registered about noon and its already up to 1600 for D reg...

What you getting riskymove?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

What you getting riskymove?

Well unfortunately its not a new Aston Martin, Ferrari or even a nice new 335:(

its something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=864497

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Newky

My long wait for my GTI should be over soon. I ordered a 3DR DSG GTI 3 months ago. Also getting black leather and 18" wheels as extra's. I was told the car should be registered in the first 3 days of the new year. The wait continues:)

Couldn't be bother waiting another 6 months to avail of the 28% VRT rate as I think the garage will soak up most of that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Was going to ask same question!

About the 290 quid tax - at least it is not €2,000 tax for post July Vs €1,000 for pre as it will be in some cases, I think people will live with 290 quid tax difference if they can afford to run a 335 in the first place.

A 335 with idrive and professional sat nav, M sport, right colour etc would probably be more sellable than 290 quid less road tax IMO. (at least that's what I am hoping) :D

Echo this - cheers for the info E92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

No, but Fifth Gear reviewed the Mini Clubman recently, which has ED I believe? Well it has auto stop start, and it is a BMW so...

After it stalled the car several times and was generally unpredictable the reviewer concluded "it doesn't work very well, but fortunately it can be turned off".

Not a good start, and how the car can be rated for CO2 with something optional is beyond me.

Newky wrote: »
    My long wait for my GTI should be over soon. I ordered a 3DR DSG GTI 3 months ago. Also getting black leather and 18" wheels as extra's. I was told the car should be registered in the first 3 days of the new year. The wait continues:)

Couldn't be bother waiting another 6 months to avail of the 28% VRT rate as I think the garage will soak up most of that anyway

Hooray:D A victory for the car nuts. Well wear with your well chosen, stunning new motor.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    No, but Fifth Gear reviewed the Mini Clubman recently, which has ED I believe? Well it has auto stop start, and it is a BMW so...

After it stalled the car several times and was generally unpredictable the reviewer concluded "it doesn't work very well, but fortunately it can be turned off".

Not a good start, and how the car can be rated for CO2 with something optional is beyond me.

Fifth Gear mustn't be able to drive then .... Autocar said the best thing about EfficientDynamics is that you don't notice it at all, and Fifth Gear is the first to moan about ED. They're doing a Jeremy Clarkson on it, exaggerating things to make iot more interesting for you and me to watch most likely. Let's face it, if there was a problem to the degree you describe it a)would have been pickeed up ages ago and b) BMW would have done something about it by now.

I'm sure ned78 will know more about this supposed "issue" than me.

FWIW the Cooper D Clubman averages 68.9 mpg and pollutes 109 g/km of CO2, so 14% VRT and €100 road tax, the Cooper Clubman averages 51.4 mpg and pollutes 132 g/km CO2, so 16% VRT and €150 road tax, and the most polluting Clubman, the Cooper S averages 44.8 mpg and pollutes 150 g/km of CO2, so 20% VRT and €290 road tax.

MarkN wrote:
    TheBazman wrote: »
    Echo this - cheers for the info E92

Not a bother lads.

Fifth Gear mustn't be able to drive then .... Autocar said the best thing about EfficientDynamics is that you don't notice it at all
    There are two camps about hybrids: they're great and they're rubbish.. why should ED be any different:p. In fairness they filmed the reviewer driving it and getting frustrated in real time.

And, if you don't notice it then why has BMW offered the option to switch it off? This is the bit I'm most confused about... "BMW Efficient Dynamics - where economy is optional"?

JHMEG wrote: »
    This is the bit I'm most confused about... "BMW Efficient Dynamics - where economy is optional"?

As you should know, the Auto Stop Start is only one feature of EfficientDynamics, the rest of the features can not be turned off if you don't like them. The Auto Start/Stop is only for 4 cylinder BMWs and MINIs(bar the Carbio which is still the old MINI of course) at the moment anyway. BMW are working on getting Auto Start/Stop for the 6 cylinder models at the moment, so the petrol 6 pot 5 series' advantage over the GS450h for mpg and CO2 is going to increase even more sometime soon(hopefully enough to put the 6 cylinder 5 series models along with the 330i/330d down a VRT band, most of these are only a few g/km over the threshold for 24% VRT bar the 525d) hopefully!

And the Prius has the EV mode which only works a mile, economy is optional for that one mile as well!

As you should know, the Auto Stop Start is only one feature of EfficientDynamics,
    Probably the single biggest contributor to economy. Nothing is user optional on the Prius.

The 6 cylinder BMWs don't have ASS and they can out do hybrid Lexus GS on emissions already(even in petrol guise), so I wonder just how important it is?

It would only make a real difference in the EU's Urban cycle, and a marginal difference in the Extra Urban cycle.

In any event we'll be able to find out for sure when BMW put ASS into the 6 cylinder models(which should be sometime this year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

If you say you do like cars then you would have bought a larger engined one like say a 320i or a 2.0 A4 that might be say a year or 2 old at the same price as your new 316i or 1.6 A4.

If you say you do like 'powerful engines' then you would have bought a larger engined one....

Not everyone rates cars by the power of their engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I reckon hydrogen is the fuel of the future! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Riskymove wrote: »
    Just heard I can pick up my 08 at 5pm so I'll be out and about...its the first time I got a new car on the first day available!!:)

The car was registered about noon and its already up to 1600 for D reg...

Was talking to my uncle earlier. They registered 20 cars today, but haven't given delivery on the 1st available day in about 4-5 years. The last time they did the VRO computer failed (apparently it's a habitual thing):rolleyes:. They did PDIs, reg's and got the plates for the 20 cars today, but don't like letting people down due to cockups so said the 3rd was the 1st delivery day. He reckons that between those and tomorrows reg's, they'll put 35 cars on the road by Friday. and another 80 next week.:eek::eek:

He also reckons the motor industry is in for a tough April, May and June, but the next 3 months will be busy anyway with the people who want the plate at any cost.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sandwich wrote: »
    Not everyone rates cars by the power of their engine.

Discerning motorists disagree.

Cars and their engines should be matched. An A4 1.6 is woeful. An A4 with a 1.8T is good match- it's well within itself. Put the same engine in an A6 (which they did) and it's a poor combination. An A6 should have a 6 cylinder engine minimum.

I test drove a couple of newish A6s with me Da and one had a 2.0TDi engine. It was all fun and games until we tried a 3.0TDi and again, it was much more within itself. It was also half as loud and twice as smooth.

Simply avoid the smallest engine in the range- they're full of compromise and it's only to get more sales from the scrooges among us who have almost enough to buy a proper one.

Advertisement