Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Account possibly hijacked...

Options
  • 30-12-2007 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Well this is annoying to say the least...Opened up Steam this morning and was asked for my password - I have "Remember Me" clicked so this isn't usually an issue...Put in, what I thought was, my password - No luck.

Ok, says I - Click "Retrieve Lost Account"...Insert Account Name / e-mail address (did all the options I could). Was told I would receive an e-mail...No luck there either - presumed it would be an automated service so googled the issue -> Possibility that the account has been hijacked! (Because those e-mails aren't getting through). So logged onto the Steam Support (a mass of links and pop-ups) and submitted an issue form. And now I play the waiting game.

Extremely annoying though - was only using Steam for the first time in ages because I bought "The Quake Collection"...And now I can't even play them! Anyone else had this happen to them?

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Did you give your password out to anyone or sing up for anything like a free server? Ever? (I know it sounds like silly questions but you would be shocked how many people do give info out over IM on steam or simple email...)

I wonder do they freeze accounts that have not been used in a while?

Good luck getting it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

No did nothing like that thankfully...Had bought the pack and was playing away happily yesterday so don't know what happened between then and now! Game wasn't working for me this morning - couldn't start - so I thought, "I'll reset my system and restart Steam...That should do it..."

:(

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

The guys at Valve are usually quite good at getting these things fixed in a timely manner (Might not seem timely to you but its about 2 weeks if i remember).

Good luck.

B0X wrote: »
    The guys at Valve are usually quite good at getting these things fixed in a timely manner (Might not seem timely to you but its about 2 weeks if i remember).

Good luck.

Gah! But 2 weeks is better than never getting access I suppose :) Cheers!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I think it might be a keylogger tbh. Do a scan in safe mode with spybot, always handy to do a second scan too : http://dewasoft.com/privacy/kldetector.htm

If anyone wants to recommend another scanner please feel free to do so.

• Advertisement

Well Steam got back to me - much faster than I was expecting! Said that "it appears that your account may have been hijacked by another user" :mad: ...Password changed so all sorted.

Tried that keylogger detector but nothing looked too suspicious, have also downloaded a anti-keylogger thing but anything it has found has a Microsoft Certificate. (I am rather suspicious of these things though...hmm...)

edit - Just logged into my reset account and someone had the cheek to join 2 groups on my behalf - they were easy to spot, both CS groups :) Going to have to take extra steps to prevent anything happening...

🤪

Advertisement