Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

linux gaming:Cedega and Wine

• 30-12-2007 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

I am running Debian Etch GNU/Linux, and I basically wish to hear peoples opinions on the Cedega and Wine programs which implement the windows API's on Unix like computers.
    I intend on using these for gaming on Linux. Yes i am aware that Linux is second rate to a native copy of windows, but I am getting to the stage where I can't justify keeping Windows on my disk anymore.

I have considered getting Cedega, but the support is improving everyday in Wine to the point where they seem almost identical.
    Would Cedega Wine be worth the monthly subscription?
    What about the CVS version that can be compiled by the user for free?
    I don't mind the odd hitch, but most importantly, can I expect reasonable performance using Wine/Cedega. I know performance is dependant on the game, but is it reasonable with patches ect to see frames drop by about a maximum of 15% in comparison to XP?

I would appreciate opinions from people who actively use Wine/Cedega specifically for gaming purposes.
    Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I use wine quite a bit, but not for gaming. I play UT on linux a lot, but that's native (I'm waiting on the UT3 linux client). There are native versions of Quake / Doom also. I know a good few of the lads play WoW through wine and say it's fine. Same for CS:S. Anything that's OpenGL based will generally run through wine quite well if there isn't a native version. On the flip side, games like crysis etc., I just expect not to be able to play unfortunately.

If you're going to be gaming through wine a lot, it's probably worth considering gentoo because you can get the latest and greatest source tree without any hassle. Trying to compile wine on other distros = tears from what I understand.

On performance: You can't use AA in CS:S through wine, but I think performance is spot on. I'd say you can google fps results for that game specifically.

Good luck on making the complete switch. It's frustrating not being able to play some games (waiting on UT3 sucks....I have my game still in its shrink wrap) but overall it's more than worth that cost (to me at least).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Khannie wrote: »
    On the flip side, games like crysis etc., I just expect not to be able to play unfortunately.

That isn't a big issue. i find I don't play the latest and greatest just after release unless a game really captivates me, I can be patient:)
    Also, Wine can support the windows tools I need on a daily basis well enough.

Just to note, I think I will stick with wine, as the program is open sourced fully in comparison to Cedega, which apparently do not give back much to the Wine community. Despite the fact Cedega is just a fork of wine.
    Wine also has a better library upon closer inspection relative to Cedega.
    khannie wrote:
    If you're going to be gaming through wine a lot, it's probably worth considering gentoo because you can get the latest and greatest source tree without any hassle. Trying to compile wine on other distros = tears from what I understand.

Point taken, i will consider this distribution if Debian proves to be a pain during compilation. Regression will be a problem no matter what distro I use though. I refuse to just use synaptic to get a binary equivilent:D
    khannie wrote:
    On performance: You can't use AA in CS:S through wine, but I think performance is spot on.

Excellent, AA isn't important to me, as I take more fps over a few insignificant jagged edges any day.
    As long as the resolution is halfway decent, it's ok:D
    khannie wrote:
    I have my game still in its shrink wrap) but overall it's more than worth that cost (to me at least).

Hate that:(
    I am fully commited to learning about and using open source systems now, not just "playing around" with Linux on a secondary box which isn't used daily. Windows is becoming less of an attraction despite the fact I am a gamer.

Thanks for the contribution Khannie:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ive ended up running both in tandem and whatever runs better with Cedega/WINE I just keep running it on that.

Nothing wrong starting off with WINE tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm currently playing WoW under Wine no problem. The only things that aren't perfect about it are that alt-tabbing takes longer than it should (somewhere between 5-10 secs). If you are using compiz fusion and flip to a desktop on another face of the cube, when you go back, it gets confused and shifts the WoW window to the right so that about 70% of it is on one cubeface/desktop with the other 30% overlapping onto a second cubeface/desktop. Since it thinks it's fullscreen, there isn't actually any way to shift it back all onto one cubeface/desktop. Neither of those things affect the playability of the game however, which works exactly as it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I play WoW under Wine and the FPS is fine. Just make that you change the config.wtf to use OpenGL instead of DirectX and there's a registry key change to make as well.

I also have the Orange Box/Steam installed and it works perfectly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement