Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car in cash. What discount?

Options
  • 30-12-2007 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I'll be spending €52k on a new Ford MPV in January, paying in cash, what kind of discount could I expect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

First of all - where? Private or a dealer?
    Paying all 52000 in cash?

I may be talking out of my hole here but perhaps none at all - why would a dealer give you a discount for turning up with a big bag of money when an electronic transfer is easier and better for him, not having to ship the money to the bank etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

No harm to ask if you could get a discount but I have to agree with biko, if you turn up with all that money and the dealer knows then more than likely all you will get will probably be a set of mats, wind deflectors and a key ring :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

LOL I don't mean I'm turning up with a huge wad of cash in hand, I meant I'll be paying cash, no trade in, no financing ;)

It would be from one of the main Ford dealers.

I found a similar thread and the posters quoted discounts of between €2.5k - €6k

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055176514&highlight=discount

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Chance your arm, you've nothing to lose. If you don't get a discount you may get a few extra's thrown in instead. I myself have got discounts before but thats mainly due because I'm a regular at my local dealer.

Shop round !!

I've sent an email to roughly a dozen dealers last night, with the list price of the car I want and the extras. One replied so far asking me to let him know what the other dealers are offering to see if he can beat their prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭corkandproud

You might be bettter off waiting until Feb/Mar, when they're struggling for first quarter figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

DonJose wrote: »
    One replied so far asking me to let him know what the other dealers are offering to see if he can beat their prices.
    Tell him 'No' - If he wants a shot at the business, you want his best price, not his undercutting of his competitors by €50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I've sent an email to roughly a dozen dealers last night, with the list price of the car I want and the extras. One replied so far asking me to let him know what the other dealers are offering to see if he can beat their prices.
    The majority of garages won't take you seriously unless you turn up in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Bluetonic's right you have to speak to them in person or you haven't a chance you'd be lucky if anyone even reads an email. I wouldn't hold my breath though especially at a Ford dealership the days of big cash discounts are long gone. Dealers prefer to finance these days as they get a big fat cheque from the Finance company if they sign you up on HP (I know I used to write them!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I've always bought cars without trade-ins and every garage I've visited have knocked between 1.5k - 2k off the list price. Now, I was tough with them and haggled and haggled until they got sick of me but at the end they didn't want me to walk as "I was buying a car that very day"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

biko wrote: »
    I may be talking out of my hole here but perhaps none at all - why would a dealer give you a discount for turning up with a big bag of money when an electronic transfer is easier and better for him, not having to ship the money to the bank etc?

Here is a random fact, which I think is true :D

If you went in and paid cash (ie notes and coins) above a certain figure (I think it is €15k), then the dealer has to report the transaction to the revenue comissioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I'd be expecting about 5% discount for that.

Don't bother dealing with the more junior salespeople in the dealers, deal directly with the sales manager and they'll be able to offer you the most.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

A lot of dealers don't like you paying cash because they get a comission out of selling you a finance deal too. Depending on what you would be trading in, they might not like a straight cash deal either. Nobody wants a junkheap sitting on their forecourt for ages, but dealers make profit off the cars you trade in too. They'll have a network of contacts for shifting anything they don't want to sell themselves, and no matter how much you haggle the price of your old car up, they'll make a hefty profit on that too.

I wouldn't really expect any genuine discount. They'll probably build in a bit of wiggle room in the price to let you feel like you've got a bargain but to a large extent, the price is the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

AntiRip wrote: »
    ...and haggled and haggled until they got sick of me...

There will be a discount or their won't depending on how much the dealer wants the business. Being shrewd is fine but there's no point making a eejit of yourself over a few quid.

I used to sell used/ surplus building materials as one of my duties in a previous job and there's nothing more irritating than those cute country hoors looking a massive discount in the mouth, cos they fancy themselves as being real wheeler dealers.

I'm still trying to figure out how its possible to spend 52k on a Ford MPV:confused::confused:

ronoc wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out how its possible to spend 52k on a Ford MPV:confused::confused:

Ford Galaxy Ghia/Metallic Paint €45k + €7k in extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ford Galaxy Ghia/Metallic Paint €45k + €7k in extras.

€7k???? this is Ireland, bud. Mudflaps and mats don't cost €7k:D Maybe some chrome wheel trims???

Go on, tell us what extras?

Leather seats, DVD entertainment pack and metallic paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Guys sometimes the ignorance on this motoring forum shocks me! First of all, WHEN are some people on Boards going to realise that the term 'cash' when talking about buying a car does not physically mean walking in with a bag full of money?! Secondly, WHY would you look like an ''eejit'' trying to get yourself the best deal you can?! Thirdly, we are talking about a FORD worth 52k, of course there will be a serious discount available and it's up to the buyer to find the most competitive dealer. Fair enough, some are more experienced than others when it comes to buying cars but comments like ''you might get some mudflaps'' are really unhelpful to the OP. If I was able to manage a hefty discount out of a BMW dealer, TRUST me OP, you will get one at a Ford. I would be pushing for 6 or 7%. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Well said, Mark

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    Guys sometimes the ignorance on this motoring forum shocks me! First of all, WHEN are some people on Boards going to realise that the term 'cash' when talking about buying a car does not physically mean walking in with a bag full of money?! Secondly, WHY would you look like an ''eejit'' trying to get yourself the best deal you can?! Thirdly, we are talking about a FORD worth 52k, of course there will be a serious discount available and it's up to the buyer to find the most competitive dealer. Fair enough, some are more experienced than others when it comes to buying cars but comments like ''you might get some mudflaps'' are really unhelpful to the OP. If I was able to manage a hefty discount out of a BMW dealer, TRUST me OP, you will get one at a Ford. I would be pushing for 6 or 7%. Good luck :)

Thanks for that Mark, the basic model costs €35k so I would expect a bit of a discount. I'd be happy if the dealer would throw in the leather seats for free or maybe the DVD pack, that would knock off €3k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I know someone who got a 27.5k car for 25k, which is 10%. I'd be disappointed if I didn't get 5k off what you're buying.

Of course if you bought a 1 yr old you'd save 10k, which is what MarkN lost on his 57k Audi after 9 months. Or if you bought a 3 yr old you might save 25k.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Of course if you bought a 1 yr old you'd save 10k, which is what MarkN lost on his 57k Audi after 9 months. Or if you bought a 3 yr old you might save 25k.

I haven't found a car with the specs I want second hand in Ireland. This is a car I would keep for at least 5 years and it will do some serious miles on the continent which is why I'm looking for the DVD pack for the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Wouldn't it be more in the dealers interest to arrange finance for a customer? Do they do that in Ireland?

Orange69 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be more in the dealers interest to arrange finance for a customer? Do they do that in Ireland?

I already have finance arranged with my bank.

I already have finance arranged with my bank.

Yes, but in terms of offering discounts, if a dealer can get someone to sign up for finance (and subsequently rape them with interest) they should be more willing to offer a discount.. as opposed to cash which is convenient but offers not scope for further profit.

Orange69 wrote: »
    if a dealer can get someone to sign up for finance (and subsequently rape them with interest) .

Jesus Christ.. Dealers can get you a rate as good as if not better than your local bank. You can get a normal loan through a dealer, doesn't have to be HP. By the way, if I lost 10k on an Audi and you're saying your Ford before extras is 35 then you can expect to write off 17,000 as soon as you drive out of the dealer.. That's just the harsh reality of new cars. Are you limited to the Ford or do you want one for whatever reason etc? Just thinking of things like VW Tourags and others which might offer better residuals if they are important that is.

Jesus Christ.. Dealers can get you a rate as good as if not better than your local bank. You can get a normal loan through a dealer, doesn't have to be HP.

Your missing the point..

I'm not missing any point, you are talking about things you clearly don't understand as per your interest rate comment. The OP doesn't even want finance, he is talking about buying his car straight out so why this is even relevant I dunno.

• Advertisement

I'm not missing any point, you are talking about things you clearly don't understand as per your interest rate comment. The OP doesn't even want finance, he is talking about buying his car straight out so why this is even relevant I dunno.

No need to be an ignorant cnut about it. :rolleyes:

Also no way you are getting a better rate at a car dealerships than a bank.. where do you think the dealership gets the money..?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement