Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car in cash. What discount?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

MarkN wrote: »
    By the way, if I lost 10k on an Audi and you're saying your Ford before extras is 35 then you can expect to write off 17,000 as soon as you drive out of the dealer...

The basic model costs €35k, the model I'm buying has a base price of €45k.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Orange69 wrote: »
    Also no way you are getting a better rate at a car dealerships than a bank.. where do you think the dealership gets the money..?

I have beaten a certain high street bank on finance for customers with finance from another branch of their company on numerous occasions, the dealer gets a rate on the finance that is usually lower than the bank's retail rate.

OP: I presume the model you're after is a special order? What exact extras are you after on the Galaxy? not packs, what do you get for €7k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It might be worth noting that you'll get the biggest discount on a car that's already in the showroom as opposed to one that you specify and has to be ordered specifically. Either way though, you should get a good discount from a decent dealer looking for a quick and hassle free sale!

Are you limited to the Ford or do you want one for whatever reason etc? Just thinking of things like VW Tourags and others which might offer better residuals if they are important that is.

We are looking for a full size MPV with 7 adult seats. Our choices are pretty limited and in the end it was a choice between the Ford Galaxy, Ford S-Max or the Citroen C4 7 Seater Picasso.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    OP: I presume the model you're after is a special order? What exact extras are you after on the Galaxy? not packs, what do you get for €7k?

I'm looking into the Galaxy Ghia with leather seats, rear seat DVD entertainment pack and metallic paint.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    from a decent dealer looking for a quick and hassle free sale!

Thats what I'm counting on. I know what I want and there will be no coming and going. I'd sign on the dotted line right there and then.

DonJose wrote: »
    I'm looking into the Galaxy Ghia with leather seats, rear seat DVD entertainment pack and metallic paint.

Get a price on the DVD system from the likes of Cartronics in Santry, they can usually supply higher than OE quality DVD systems for less money, also more flexibility in choosing a system that suits you. Might make it easier to get a car ex stock too, giving you more bargaining power.

Get a price on the DVD system from the likes of Cartronics in Santry, they can usually supply higher than OE quality DVD systems for less money, also more flexibility in choosing a system that suits you. Might make it easier to get a car ex stock too, giving you more bargaining power.

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Orange69 wrote: »

Also no way you are getting a better rate at a car dealerships than a bank.. where do you think the dealership gets the money..?

Same idea as any kind of broker selling mortgages, insurance, pensions... Not trying to be ignorant just trying to give the OP some sound advice as are a lot of people in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

52k on a ford mpv ?? kick the -censored- robber in the head...

as ive said a million times... get out of dublin if you want to uy sa new car... prices are retarded imo

anyways , never buy a car for cash off a dealer ( over the 2500 mark ) or its a bit eh... suspicious to say the least :confused:

• Advertisement

How many times???

BUYING A CAR "FOR CASH" IN IRELAND MEANS NOT HAVING A TRADE IN!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have you checked out the price of importing one from the north/uk, with that many extras and the stupid cost of extras here you could well save a few grand even with having to pay vrt here.

How many times???

LOL

How many times???

I sometimes wonder do people read or even try to comprehend posts when they reply.

edit: not directed at you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

My dad bought a new model Seat Leon in November for cash and got €2400 off the marked price.

He ended up with a Seat Leon though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Have you looked in the UK for a 1-2 yr old Ghia? I'd imagine there are loads to choose from. The Brits were always fond of Ford Ghias.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

New Galaxy a much more modern machine than the Alhambra or Sharan

€39k a lot cheaper though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

DonJose wrote: »

7k is a bit much.. normally leather is around 2-3k on normal production car as an add on..

sees a little pricey to me, metallic say round €800 avg

thats one expensive dvd pack.

:D:D

when buying cars cash i normally ring around, never have any problem getting prices, haggle hard, i have on occasion got discounts of between 2-3k. margins on cars like toyota are high, i expect ford to be similar, ( ie more scope for discount)

a dealer once sold me a car a few hundred quid over the invoice price just to get the sale ( cash one) . deals like this are few and far between..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Guys sometimes the ignorance on this motoring forum shocks me!

Get a life MarkN.

This is an informal discussion. We've all got our feet up here and I'm sure the OP is just doing a logic check. If he wants exact and formal answers to formal questions he'd ask the bank or the dealer, which I'm sure he will becasue e obviously has his head screwed on.

Getting a sharp answer like this to a quip about miserly motoring says more about you than me.

I'll spell it out for you- speccing up a car as well as the OP to tailor it to his own needs is remarkable in Ireland. He's going to have a very impressive car by the time he's done.

If you would get down on both knees and beg like a dog "until they get sick of me" for a fractionally better discount when buying a €52k car, well I hope you enjoy it because I would never make a fool of myself for a quickly forgotten few bob, which matters not to either the dealer or myself when motoring is extortionately expensive in this country no matter what you do. I'd first rely on my judgement to ensure I'm not making a foolish mistake, after that, it's simple common sense- no need to start blubbing for a poxy €100 discount.

back on topic

Re: trim

Would the large 7 seater interior by it's nature cost more than usual to spec up to leather.

Judging by your little rant, you obviously feel posting long-winded bull**** is helpful to someone, I disagree. Get over it. Complete rubbish like ''you won't get a discount'' or ''dealers will rape you on interest'' is not an informal discussion, it's complete waffle. If you're going to post something in someone's thread, at least bother to try and help answer their question... Don't see anything wrong with that. And by the way, don't take something I have written, quote it in your own post and take out vital words to suit your own argument.. A 5 year old with nothing stronger to say does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

you obviously feel posting long-winded bull**** is helpful to someone

You started it.

You've also gone furthest off topic.

Do you really think the OP is relying on YOU tell him shop around for his finance?? 'Stating the obvious' springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Judging by your little rant, you obviously feel posting long-winded bull**** is helpful to someone, I disagree. Get over it. Complete rubbish like ''you won't get a discount'' or ''dealers will rape you on interest'' is not an informal discussion, it's complete waffle. If you're going to post something in someone's thread, at least bother to try and help answer their question... Don't see anything wrong with that.

Man, this is an internet board not the oracle.. We discuss things here.. get over it..

Are you for real? I didn't bring up finance, I even asked how it was relevent in the discussion. Your attitude of ''I would never make a fool of myself asking for 100 off a car'' is absolutely hilarious and the irony of telling ME I have taken it off topic... A few of the lads and myself gave the OP plenty of stuff to think about, dunno what you think you have done to help but it's sweet FA from where I'm typing. Orange you're back I see now you and Cant Decide are here we can all listen to stuff you two learnt down the pub. Still gonna contradict the lads that sell cars everyday of the week in this thread or are you done? Any chance we can get back on topic now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Are you for real? I didn't bring up finance, I even asked how it was relevent in the discussion. Your attitude of ''I would never make a fool of myself asking for 100 off a car'' is absolutely hilarious and the irony of telling ME I have taken it off topic... A few of the lads and myself gave the OP plenty of stuff to think about, dunno what you think you have done to help but it's sweet FA from where I'm typing.

artieos8.jpg

Dealers can get you a rate as good as if not better than your local bank.
    This is true. But ask yourself why:

1. The banks/lenders pay a good commission to the dealers for every finance package they arrange.
    2. The dealer sells a more expensive car than they would otherwise sell
    3. The banks/lenders get annual interest

Net result: The buyer ends up paying even more than they should have in the first place.

It really is buyer beware. And don't forget kids: he's your dealer, not your friend (and if you have to arrange finance you can't afford the car).

what's to say the bank would give you a really low APR on a carloan?
    the dealers buy the money in at a base rate, they're more likely to cave and give a low APR than the bank as they're already making money on the car.

JHMEG wrote: »
    This is true. But ask yourself why:

1. The banks/lenders pay a good commission to the dealers for every finance package they arrange.
    2. The dealer sells a more expensive car than they would otherwise sell
    3. The banks/lenders get annual interest

Net result: The buyer ends up paying even more than they should have in the first place.

It really is buyer beware. And don't forget kids: he's your dealer, not your friend (and if you have to arrange finance you can't afford the car).

There's without a doubt a lot of ways of getting stung but you've gotta think of it as a broker quite simply - mortgages, insurance etc the financial institution pays the place you have bought from/or dealer buys finance to sell on. I think the best position you can be in is just like the OP whether you have it under the mattress or getting a normal AIB loan - walking into a dealer as a 'cash' buyer.

• Advertisement

what's to say the bank would give you a really low APR on a carloan?
    Absolutely nothing. It suits them better to farm that kind of donkey work out to the dealers, rather than use their own staff to do it.

@MarkN, yes, I worked for a very large broker for a few years. Bear in mind with car finance especially the whole object is to get the buyer to spend money, and if possible more money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement