Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car in cash. What discount?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

JHMEG wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing. It suits them better to farm that kind of donkey work out to the dealers, rather than use their own staff to do it.

@MarkN, yes, I worked for a very large broker for a few years. Bear in mind with car finance especially the whole object is to get the buyer to spend money, and if possible more money.

Ah.. Well you will know more about it than me so! Do ya really think someone can't afford a car if they borrow for it or would ya see it from the side of paying 400 quid a month for 3 years and then trading or selling rather than pumping 30k of your own cash into buying a car straight out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MarkN wrote: »
    Ah.. Well you will know more about it than me so! Do ya really think someone can't afford a car if they borrow for it or would ya see it from the side of paying 400 quid a month for 3 years and then trading or selling rather than pumping 30k of your own cash into buying a car straight out?
    Logically if you haven't got the money then you can't afford a car, as unlike a house it's the biggest devestment (opposite to investment) you'll ever make. Think about it: you're borrowing money only to lose it.

So.. if you are going to buy a car, logically (again) you should minimise your outlay by not borrowing, as you're only going to lose it all eventually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

what_car wrote: »
    7k is a bit much.. normally leather is around 2-3k on normal production car as an add on..

sees a little pricey to me, metallic say round €800 avg

thats one expensive dvd pack.

Leather pack costs €2,700

Metalic paint cost €560

DVD pack costs €3,335

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you're buying a 52k car and you're not a chancer or a scam artist, I think most would only part finance so you're good for it one way or another. I think getting part finance in this situation is simply saving in reverse, in the right hands unless you're 100% financed or getting it from one of those awful sub-prime finance companies.

Keeping the car for 5 years minimum is the best way and keeping it for the foreseeable future is the best course of action. Also, a long term capital purchase like this, you can also look at the saving in the forward value of money by not having to make a new purchase, just as the depreciation is easing.

It's too easy to make yourself the playthings of financial institutions by first getting up to a new car but then having to stay up by changing every 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

DVD pack costs €3,335

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    It's too easy to make yourself the playthings of financial institutions by first getting up to a new car but then having to stay up by changing every 3 years.

What do you mean by this?

DonJose wrote: »
    DVD pack costs €3,335
    That is mad. Seriously mad. And it costs more than the also-mad leather suite.

That is mad. Seriously mad. And it costs more than the also-mad leather suite.

The Citroen C4 Picasso leather pack costs €5,050 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Recently got an S-type Accord (End of sept) , it was coming in at over 36k with the usual extras,delivery,metalic paint nothing fancy. I said to dealer, I'd be doing cash no trade in...Haggled a bit and got just over 3k off price...No one else could touch his price in any other Honda dealers.

Keep haggling...You the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I have beaten a certain high street bank on finance for customers with finance from another branch of their company on numerous occasions, the dealer gets a rate on the finance that is usually lower than the bank's retail rate.

I have to agree. My sister works for AIB, and I was able to beat her internal staff rate when she was buying a car from me.

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote: »
    I have to agree. My sister works for AIB, and I was able to beat her internal staff rate when she was buying a car from me.
    Like I said. You're doing the donkey work for free, which is the way AIB want it.

The Citroen C4 Picasso leather pack costs €5,050 ;)
    I bought a leather pack and got a whole car thrown in for free not so long ago for €4,500!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

on some cars a leather pack will include heated and electrically adjustable seats.

What do you mean by this?

I thought it was obvious.

Finally getting say a new corolla and deciding to change every 3 years thereafter, just as a soon as the depreciation is levelling off suits the dealers and lenders far more than the buyer.

Buying a car and keeping it for 5 years+ beats the system. Keeping it for 5 years as your car and passing it onto wifey really beats the system.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What a sad thread. Internet keyboard warriors abound. All mouth and trousers, but mostly clueless.

6% is where you should be looking for a straight sale, without trade in.

That dvd pack sounds very expensive. Colm's suggestion might be a very good one.

No no, lots for the OP to think about apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

FWIW I know a taximan who bought a brand new Ford Galaxy 2-3yrs ago for around €35k and has had nothing but trouble, some quite expensive repairs IIRC.:eek:

Buying a car and keeping it for 5 years+ beats the system. Keeping it for 5 years as your car and passing it onto wifey really beats the system.

I plan on keeping the car at least 5 years.
    6% is where you should be looking for a straight sale, without trade in.

That dvd pack sounds very expensive. Colm's suggestion might be a very good one.

I'll probably give the DVD pack a miss and pick up 2 portable DVD players from Argos ;) That would bring the car down to €48.5k and with a bit of haggling hopefully I can get it for €46k.

Thanks again for your help.

Savman wrote: »
    FWIW I know a taximan who bought a brand new Ford Galaxy 2-3yrs ago for around €35k and has had nothing but trouble, some quite expensive repairs IIRC.:eek:

That would be the old model, wouldn't the warrenty cover repairs. I'm looking into the new model. From my research its gotten some pretty good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That would be the old model, wouldn't the warrenty cover repairs. I'm looking into the new model. From my research its gotten some pretty good reviews.

My aunt drives a 07 Ghia without the leather. IIRC you can't have 7 seats with leather.

You do get some nice toys like parking distance sensor (over sensitive though so she doesn't use it as she's had 3 of the old model (LX) over the past 5 years) The old model is possibly still available. Check to see if you can get a Ghia that's with Ford Ireland and then you're talking massive discount as they'll want to shift them. You can still register '08 and get a decent car. Leather was standard on the later Ghias IIRC

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    My aunt drives a 07 Ghia without the leather. IIRC you can't have 7 seats with leather.

Cheers, I'll be hitting the dealers next week, I'll make sure to ask about this. I'm pretty sure the 7 seats are standard even with leather, might be the S-Max you are thinking of as the 7 Seater was an option in early models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

OP the Galaxy is bound to drop in price in July, you're going for the 2.0 140 diesel I presume, and the VRT will fall from 30% to 28% along with the road tax going from €590 to €430. By my calculations, the Galaxy will cost €50,555(assuming it costs €52k now with all the luxuries) come 1/7/08, assuming Ford pass on the VRT saving to the customer(and they should since they already bring in the cars themselves, so the pre tax prices for Fords should be standardised throughout the EU).

As for reliability, the old one was a complete disaster, but the current one is meant to be a big improvement.

E92 wrote: »
    OP the Galaxy is bound to drop in price in July, you're going for the 2.0 140 diesel I presume, and the VRT will fall from 30% to 28% along with the road tax going from €590 to €430. By my calculations, the Galaxy will cost €50,555(assuming it costs €52k now with all the luxuries) come 1/7/08, assuming Ford pass on the VRT saving to the customer(and they should since they already bring in the cars themselves, so the pre tax prices for Fords should be standardised throughout the EU).

As for reliability, the old one was a complete disaster, but the current one is meant to be a big improvement.

I'm probably going to go for the Galaxy 2.0 TDCI Auto which will would fall into the Band F, so might as well buy it before July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Oh well in that case make sure it's registered before July then:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Logically if you haven't got the money then you can't afford a car, as unlike a house it's the biggest devestment (opposite to investment) you'll ever make. Think about it: you're borrowing money only to lose it.

So.. if you are going to buy a car, logically (again) you should minimise your outlay by not borrowing, as you're only going to lose it all eventually anyway.

exactly. you are paying over the odds by getting a car on finance, including the interest and charges etc.. and its even worse getting it on hp... where they own the car until the very last payment is made,

cash is ur only man. it will be interestng to see how the first few months of 08 will do for new car sales. and i see mr gormley gunning for putting a co2 tax on petrol and diesel by '09

the greens are total clowns :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

No no, lots for the OP to think about apparently.
    What exactly are you trying to contribute to this thread? OP here's another one for ya.. Just spoke to a mate of mine who is a salesman not for Ford but knows lads who do work for them and Rialto Motors in Dublin seem to be pretty good for the discount you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭corkandproud

I know someone who got a 27.5k car for 25k, which is 10%. I'd be disappointed if I didn't get 5k off what you're buying.

A guy working with me got a 32k new car for 26K, based on straight deal discount, fleet discount, dealer had the car on the lot, end of month figures, end of quarter figures, and Kia support.

Dealers will work harder if they think they will get the deal. A guy I'm dealing with has negotiated a fleet discount from Volvo, not much but it will cover the metallic paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What exactly are you trying to contribute to this thread? OP here's another one for ya.. Just spoke to a mate of mine who is a salesman not for Ford but knows lads who do work for them and Rialto Motors in Dublin seem to be pretty good for the discount you are looking for.

Lyons of Limerick are fairly good on cash as they carry about 50-60 unreg'd cars in Stock as do Dan Dooley in Knocklong and Tipp Town. Dooley's more likely to have a Galaxy though. It'd be interesting to see the difference between 2 salesmen at the different locations of one company. My aunt's husband works for Dooley's and they seem to push a good deal on cash and don't want trade due to limited space, not so much of a concern fo Lyons'.
    what_car wrote: »
    exactly. you are paying over the odds by getting a car on finance, including the interest and charges etc.. and its even worse getting it on hp... where they own the car until the very last payment is made,

Not necessarily true. On less than 7% over 5 years you're likely to beat inflation at some point.

Also the 0% finance deals mean a car is actually costing considerably less at future value of the repayment deal signed on day 1.

Leasing is often cheaper as you don't take the dpereciation hit and is the main source of car finance in th US as people just stop paying when the lease is up, hand back the car without a trade in hassle, and don't have to worry about depreciation.

Just needs a little financial savvy.

Cheers for that, Rialto Motors are one of the crowd I emailed. I received a reply from Esmonde Motors so far, I'll ring around this week and see how it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ronoc wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out how its possible to spend 52k on a Ford MPV:confused::confused:
    Thats what i am stuggling to understand.Its a waste of money.For 52k you can get much better cars/jeeps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement