Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new car in cash. What discount?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My dad bought a car with a €41,000 list price for €37,000 last january. Roughly 10% discount. Cute country "eejit" with an extra 4k in his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

drdre wrote: »
    Thats what i am stuggling to understand.Its a waste of money.For 52k you can get much better cars/jeeps.

Hopefully I'll end up spending just €46k as I'm ditching the 3k DVD pack and hope to get €2-3k discount. Find me a 2008 full sized 7 leather seater diesel for €46k and I'll gladly consider it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

bigkev49 wrote: »
    My dad bought a car with a €41,000 list price for €37,000 last january. Roughly 10% discount. Cute country "eejit" with an extra 4k in his pocket.

You're either thick or just being a w*nker.

Nobody's suggesting he should pay the list price for a straight deal.

You know damn well I was talking about those, yes, eejits who will get the 4k off in 2 seconds because the cash discount is the cash discount and it's probably fixed and it's usually generous and spends 2 hours bargaining over another €50 off and a set of mats or something equally inconsequential. The same bozos could have been only given 2k off for cash, the next 2 hours are still wasted talking about the same €50 and the same mats.

It's not clever, and it only demeans both concerned. People who think they know what they're doing are generally the ones who do this level of penny pinching. If you're Dad had to look a generous cash discount in the mouth and beg for a tiny bit extra off, I'm just glad he's no relative of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Mats? Who mentioned mats?

We're talking price discounts here. I assumed (and a good few others in here!) everyone, bar the first few replies to this thread understood that... YOU included Can't Decide!

MarkN wrote: »
    Mats? Who mentioned mats?

We're talking price discounts here. I assumed (and a good few others in here!) everyone, bar the first few replies to this thread understood that... YOU included Can't Decide!

a) I wasn't talking to you.

b) It's a public forum and you are not a moderator so don't police me.

c) You're doing a lot of unhelpful prattle yourself ("I have finance sorted") and in actual fact, you're not going to be able to help him unless you know what the discount is.

Do you?

• Advertisement

It's a safe bet that I've negotiated prices on more new cars than you have. That qualifies me enough to try and help the OP.

Whether you misread stuff at the start of the thread or what I don't know but you completely went off on one and misquoted people including me (finance??) etc etc and in a thread about cash discounts, a guy puts up a post where he says his Dad managed to get a pretty brilliant discount, you call him a wa**er?? Anyway, I've said my piece to you.

DonJose - another thing I forgot to say to you is I know you are probably looking at a car that is not in stock but at the end of the day, the salesperson wants their commission from a deal. If you are not happy with the cash discount then get up and walk out. I was lucky with my current car that they were dying to shift it and when I said no to their offer and I made it clear that they were going to lose the sale, I haggled another 1500 quid off a 4000 discount.

cantdecide wrote: »
    unless you know what the discount is

So you don't???

Ps that other w*nker had taken my point on a surrealist ramble. Maybe he's your siamese twin or something. I have done nothing other than compliment the OP on his choice of a top spec car. Now look where I am.

You're obviously a twat and as much as you seem to like prattling on stating the obvious, you're not being helpful by having some kind of moral struggle with someone who only commented by way of wishing someone well with their new car purchase.

Happy new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Easy now, lads! I hope we're all on the same game in this thread as in trying to help the OP secure the best deal he can get. As pointed out, cash isn't necessarily "cash". It just means there's not gonna be any trade-in. Finance deals can indeed be cheaper through a dealer than through your bank or building society.

Now while we all agree, I'll add some tips for good measure. First, all that MarkN said in this thread. Then a good deal can not be had by phoning or emailing. It has to be done in person, at the right time, convincing the seller that the deal will be done there and then if the circumstances are right. Don't be a fool to believe there is none or very little margin for dealing. On the OP's deal of €45k + €7k in extras I'd go for a €45k offer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No hope of that Unkel. As I said way back a c.6% discount for a straight deal is about the level he should be looking to achieve.

Some of the comments on this thread are bizzare, uninformed, insulting, and frankly ridiculous.

No hope of that Unkel

No hope of what? I wouldn't expect to get it for €45k. My point is that in my experience most people in this country do not negotiate hard enough when buying a new car. There are very serious discounts available out there if you play the game right, is all I'm saying...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Newky

unkel wrote: »
    No hope of what? I wouldn't expect to get it for €45k. My point is that in my experience most people in this country do not negotiate hard enough when buying a new car. There are very serious discounts available out there if you play the game right, is all I'm saying...

I'd agree with this point...Some people just don't bargain. I got a 7% off the price of a Golf GTI. Worth noting though the best price I got in dublin was a 5% discount.

So far the best quote I've received is just under €48k so thats a little more than €4k off which isn't bad.

DonJose wrote: »
    So far the best quote I've received is just under €48k so thats a little more than €4k off which isn't bad.

Nice one. Now if the price bottoms out at that, start asking for a few other options to be thrown in for free :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Nice one. Now if the price bottoms out at that, start asking for a few other options to be thrown in for free :D

A good place to start would be arguing that all cafrs should have bluetooth & vioce control as standard:D:D

Bluetooth & Voice Control - €515
    Refelctive Windscreen, Auto Wipers and Lights - €390
    Climatronic Front Seats - €690
    Rear sun blinds (if you plan on going abroad - a must) - €180
    Power Folding Mirrors - €105
    Tyre pressure monitor - €270
    Leather - €2,700

List of (some) overpriced options - €4,850

Getting them "free" - priceless

There are some feelings money can't buy....for everything else.............

oh and pick a nice colour, not the silvers and light blues that almost EVERY Galaxy is appointed in.

I like the Kelp and Ink Blue;)

With a decent spec and a distinctive colour it shouldn't be too hard to shift on the 5 year old market.

Got another quote for a Galaxy without DVD pack but with leather, bluetooth and a load of extras, on the road price €50k, they quoted €45k!!!

Got another quote for a Galaxy without DVD pack but with leather, bluetooth and a load of extras, on the road price €50k, they quoted €45k!!!

http://www.*************/cartech/webpages/visualsystems/sonyvisual/sonyvisualsystems.htm

http://www.auto-tech.ie/cart.php?cat=96

http://www.scansounds.ie/

There ya go, a 10% discount. Well done! A lesson for the non-believers methinks

ninty9er wrote: »
    Cheers for that, I've been quoted €1300 for a quality DVD system with infrared wireless headphones. What was the link with the **********
    There ya go, a 10% discount. Well done! A lesson for the non-believers methinks

Thanks Unkel and everybody else for your help. Contact was initiated via email, then phone calls, so far I haven't spoken to a salesman face to face. It would have taken longer to get a Galaxy with DVD, delivery date of April/May but theres a Galaxy siting in Cork with the specs I want, so I can have it within 2 weeks ;)

• Advertisement

Well done !

MarkN wrote: »
    Well done !

Cheers Mark thanks for the tips.

Cheers for that, I've been quoted €1300 for a quality DVD system with infrared wireless headphones. What was the link with the **********

Dunno what happened there, must be a legal thing if it's censored.
    Thanks Unkel and everybody else for your help. Contact was initiated via email, then phone calls, so far I haven't spoken to a salesman face to face. It would have taken longer to get a Galaxy with DVD, delivery date of April/May but theres a Galaxy siting in Cork with the specs I want, so I can have it within 2 weeks ;)

Nice one!! Best of luck with it.

so far I haven't spoken to a salesman face to face

Now I am gobsmacked :eek:

I've always reckoned that most of the negotiating power I've had was during the face to face contact

The salesman being totally convinced I would be ready to "do the deal there and then" if my pretty demanding, but just about realistic, terms were right. The salesman being totally convinced that I would walk away if he wouldn't agree with me

How did you do that, DonJose? Did you ring / email all Ford dealers in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I bought my Skoda Octavia (DSG gearbox, 1.9 TDi) in 2006.

It cost €29,995 on the books.

Played BGmotors and Pheonix motor's off each other and got it for €26k even.

I've always reckoned that most of the negotiating power I've had was during the face to face contact

The salesman being totally convinced I would be ready to "do the deal there and then" if my pretty demanding, but just about realistic, terms were right. The salesman being totally convinced that I would walk away if he wouldn't agree with me

How did you do that, DonJose? Did you ring / email all Ford dealers in Ireland?

I emailed all the Ford dealers in the Dublin/Midlands area and then initiated contact with the dealers who were decent enough to reply to my email. I made it clear from the beginning that I want a quick no hassle sale and I'm buy from the dealer who offers the best discount.

So basically I'm paying full price for the basic Ghia model but they are throwing in free leather seats, bluetooth, eletric folding mirrors, sunblinds and a tonneau cover.

Welcome to 2008 :D

Just paid the deposit on a new Galaxy Ghia. I still haven't seen a salesman yet. I sent around a dozen emails, got replies from 5 dealers, 2 quoted the exact same discount. Rang up 3 garages, the model I wanted would be special order and would take 3-4 months for delivery. One dealer just received the model I wanted with leather seats but minus the DVD pack but including bluetooth and a few other extras. So I'm going with this one, got a discount of €4.5k and paid the deposit with a credit card over the phone. I'll see the dealer for the first time in 2 weeks when I pick up the car.

I made it clear from the beginning that I want a quick no hassle sale and I'm buy from the dealer who offers the best discount

That's the winner
    Welcome to 2008 :D

Things have changed so :D

That's the winner

I'd researched the car in full before buying so I even knew the prices of the extras from memory, so as the salesman was running through the extras I was listing the price for him, so he knew I wasn't there to kick the virtual tyres and waste his time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement