Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Nos?

• 30-12-2007 4:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get some decent Sean nos. Can anyone recommend any artists? I wouldn't even know where to begin :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sinead O'Connor? Mind I haven't heard it myself, only heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

biko wrote: »
    Sinead O'Connor? Mind I haven't heard it myself, only heard of it.

i wouldnt really call Sinéad's type of singing sean nós.although i havent heard of all her stuff, but most of it wouldnt be real sean nós.

Iarla O Lionard is a great male sean nós singer.His version of An Cailin Deas Rua is on Youtube.

Do you prefer male or female singers?

Not all of Pádraigin Ui Uallacháin's stuff is real sean nós but she has a great cd out, if you like sean nós you'll surely love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

Tom Lenihan
    Iarla Ó Lionaird
    Máiréad Ní Mhaonaigh
    Antaine Ó Faracháin
    Sean de hOra http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=2MeaOZKY80o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Liam O Maonlai does some lovely stuff too.
    If you want to learn (and are in Dublin) they do classes in Gael Chultúr that a friend of mine did and he said they were class. :)

There are a load of clips up (I think by TG4, but I dunno if its the "official" channel). http://ie.youtube.com/profile?user=TG4gaeilge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Thats a great help thanks to all :D

Now, where would be the best place to purchase any of these on cd in dublin? the trad sections i've seen are all compilations of showband and touristy shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Celtic Note

i think theres one on nassau street?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yah, Nassau Street is best place. Tho most music shops have trad sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ofwoods

Claddagh has two shop in Dublin.
    one on Middle Abbey Street just off O'Connell Street and one in Temple Bar.

There is also their website: claddaghrecords.com

If you're in the west there is a good selection of traditional CD's in shop in the Coleman Heritage Centre in Gurteen, Co. Sligo

Custy's Shop in Ennis, Co. Clare is also good.
    They have a website also: http://www.custysmusic.com/

Powell's on Shop Street in Galway City has a decent selection as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Advertisement