Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK I give: where can I find distilled water?...

• 30-12-2007 4:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I mean, come on... I've asked in about 15-16 gas stations between Bray and Ballsbridge, including Toyota, Nissan and BMW dealerships...

Please halp? :o

EDIT: That "I give" on the title, meant to be "I give up"...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Try Halfords or any good motorfactors

or make it yourself:
    A simple kitchen stove distiller can be made by taking a very large pot with a lid with your water in it (about 1/3 to 1/2 full), floating an empty glass bowl in the water, then placing the large pot's lid UPSIDE DOWN on the top of the pot. Fill the lid with ice and then set the stove to slowly boil the water in the pot.
    What happens is that the water vapour travels round the floating glass bowl and condenses on the cold (ice filled) lid. As the lid (should be) is slightly rounded the condensed vapour will run down the underside of the lid and drip into the floating glass bowl. The glass bowl is the collector for your 'distilled' water.

Points to note; The glass bowl should never touch the bottom of the pot or it will boil as well, and the lid should not be a perfect seal when upside down.
    For a purer result, discard the first 10ml in the bowl as this could contain impurities that boil below 100C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

You can buy distilled water in any chemists and it's not that expensive (about 3€ a litre)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Chosen wrote: »
    EDIT: That "I give" on the title, meant to be "I give up"...

Never even noticed....just read as "I give up".

Anyway, yeah, chemists will sell it to you. Just ring around instead of driving you noob. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Just use deionised. You'll get it in halfords and real motor factors...
    New H2O system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

nibble wrote: »
    New H2O system?

you get destilled in any chemist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you're still in college you'll get it any chemistry lab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

ya, any seconday school with a lab, or any college. ask them to put it thru the filter 2 or 3 times for ur needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

just use vodka and be done with it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

nibble wrote: »
    New H2O system?

That's what I need! De-ionised water! Could you provide more details on the location of the shops, pretty please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Any chemist? Mosts chemists only do De-inoised water as apposed to distilled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

i got a bottle in a car modding shop jobbie , most car shops should have them cause u need it for batteries in cars and such ... dont know dublin so i cant give any shop info :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

papu wrote: »
    i got a bottle in a car modding shop jobbie , most car shops should have them cause u need it for batteries in cars and such ... dont know dublin so i cant give any shop info :(

Apparently Dublin is way ahead of the rest of the world: Carrol & Kinsella (Toyota dealership) told me that they use regular, tap water on the batteries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Apparently Dublin is way ahead of the rest of the world: Carrol & Kinsella (Toyota dealership) told me that they use regular, tap water on the batteries...

OMG :eek:

thats just all kinds of crazy...well ..the quicker they can sell you a fresh battery i guess :P

ive a couple bottles here made by "silver hook"

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

rain is distilled water :) collect some in a bottle / bucket at a drain pipe...

But de-ionized is better for watercooling, so you will need to buy it :p

also lol @ tap water in batteries

how about buying a ion resabobbie :) cant remember whats its called form the Jc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

boiled tap water and let it cool down, alot of people use it. garages just say its regular tap water but thats what they do.

as said rain water is the easiest way to get distilled water. (better for the batteries lol)

If anyone is around the cork area i can get them DI Water (De-ionised water) just give me a clean bottle.

use a microwave (ie, boil and cool a few times)

warning: side effects include exploding water...:)

no really, because after a few cycles, the water will be free from ions at say 100c (or higher even). except you wont notice a thing, it wont be steaming or bubbling, but the second you put a anything with ions like spoon into this superheated water...BOOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

use a microwave (ie, boil and cool a few times)

warning: side effects include exploding water...:)

no really, because after a few cycles, the water will be free from ions at say 100c (or higher even). except you wont notice a thing, it wont be steaming or bubbling, but the second you put a anything with ions like spoon into this superheated water...BOOM

Haha yeah! Really don't do that...

I've actually ran tap water for a few months just with biocide added, drained it last week and everything was fine. But you should be able to get some so you won't have to resort to that!

i may be totally wrong about this, but doesnt deionised water have less conductivity than regular water, and therefore worse at transfering heat than say tapwater?

• Advertisement

no , same. its also clean of all the chlorine and flouride ;/

de-ionized water still has the organic impurities because it isn't distilled... But it isn't conductive so galvanic corrosion is less likely to occur..

What you really need it distilled deionized water!

*edit* why do people use water in water cooling? :p Surely there is a cleaner more efficient liquid? Mercury or something? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

conzymaher wrote: »
    Surely there is a cleaner more efficient liquid? Mercury or something? :p

:rolleyes: That would make a very heavy rig, can just bout carry mine as it is :D

de-ionized water still has the organic impurities because it isn't distilled... But it isn't conductive so galvanic corrosion is less likely to occur..

What you really need it distilled deionized water!

*edit* why do people use water in water cooling? :p Surely there is a cleaner more efficient liquid? Mercury or something? :p

sure , you fill my res with it

papu wrote: »
    sure , you fill my res with it

might be worth more then ur rig !!!

Liquid nitrogen in the loop tbh :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Mercury or something? :p

just pray it dosnt leak :p

i guess you could put oil in it...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

is the ice in fridges deionized ie. get the ice and melt it down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

is the ice in fridges deionized ie. get the ice and melt it down

think you have to do it the other way around, as in heat water then cool it, not cool it then heat it, could be totally wrong but think heating is the only way to get rid of impurities, same way cooking food. Freezing only hardens the impurities, and some of the water impurities have a lower freezing point than water.

You can make distilled water, you can make de-ionised water so why cant you make distilled de-ionised water?? any 6th year students looking for science projects..

Advertisement