Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm Query

Options
  • 30-12-2007 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi I have one of these astec alarms but having problems over past while. At any point during the night the alarm starts beeping (like the 20sec warning when someone opens front door) for no reason, if the code is not put in quick enough then the full alarm will go off. Any ideas what it could be??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

sound like you have a dodgy contact at the front door. if the contact is breaking during the night it will be as if the door has been opened. check if the contacts are loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

Hi, thanks for that. Was thinking that myself at the start but if you don't get down quick enough and the alarm sounds, the alarm says the fault is in zone 2 which is not the front door. Could it be anything to do with the battery as have heard they can be a problem in the astec system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I don't think the battery would cause this problem.

Usually only the front door is set to give the 20 seconds countdown upon opening, but it is possible another contact sensor was given this option by mistake so it could be the backdoor or a window.

Best option is to do the zone test and test each contact until you find zone 2. To do the zone test press CLEAR -> FN -> 2 then enter your alarm code. The alarm will show you which contact is being broken, but without the hassle of the alarm going off. Press CLEAR to end the test.

If you do need a new contact, they can be picked up in Eastern Electrical for under a tenner. They have a few branchs around and i'm sure google will tell you which one is nearest you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The reason it is beeping at you is because it is seeing an entry zone being opened.
    This does not mean it has to be the front door though. The way Astec systems work is A closed circut will read 1.5k ohms A contact open will read any addition of 680ohms onto that ie 2.2k 2.7k 3.4 k will all show as contact open .. An entry exit contact reads as 340 ohms so a bad connection or a faulty contact or sensor on any zone could give you a reading of around 1.8k & so the system will see an entry zone opened.
    On newer versions of the software this should be disabled on any zone that does not have an entry exit contact...
    Anyway most effective way is to meter out the zone activate all the devices & watch what reading you get for the resistince on that zone.

Advertisement